Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:41 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,038 times

Advertisements

I have family coverage through work with a Connecticare HMO. They've just changed their coverage.

For a family making between $50 & 70K I currently pay $302 BI-weekly with $30 co-payments for me and my 2 children.

Now for 2010, we have a choice. I can either pay $383.16 Bi-weekly for their HMO family plan for (with my same income bracket), or I can get their HSA plan and pay $271.87 bi-weekly.

The HSA has a deductible of $3,000. We pay everything in full until the deductible is met. After the deductible is met, everything is 100% covered. The HMO, of course, has no high deductible, but we'll still pay co-payments of $30.

I'm lost on what to decide. We haven't had any major health problems, and no one takes medication daily. Considering that I am a single parent making between $50-70k, I pretty much live on a tight budget. My thing is what if someone gets sick, and I haven't paid the deductible yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,411 times
I would do neither. I would contact an insurance broker and have them find you a plan that has a deductible but is much cheaper. I have been paying about $400 bi-weekly for myself and 3 children and we never get sick. I take them once a year for well checks and that is it. I know that we could get sick but I would rather pay in full once a year then fork over $10,000 a year just in case. I researched and applied on my own and beginning in January, I will be paying about $250 per month for a $5000 deductible for all of us. I can't wait to see that extra money on my check. And I already have the deductible saved in a special account just in case. Goggle insurance broker to bring up someone in your area. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Is your employer going to be contributing any money into the HSA account?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,675 times
Wow, that is high! I am currently paying $435 for private medical insurance with a $3000 deductible (but that is for major medical, not routine doctors appointments, etc.) Now I know that my coverage is probably nowhere near as good as yours, like mine doesn't cover prevenative, chiropractic, pregnancy, mental health, etc. but I am in the same boat, we are both healthy and fortunately the worst we've had is a broken arm every year (don't ask).

Might be worth looking into.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Just a thought, but you might want to talk to HR and make sure that you understand the high-deductible plan. I have a high-deductible plan ($2500 individual, 5000 family) that costs me about $550/per month. My employer contributes $1500/year to the HSA. However, routine check-ups and preventative care are covered at 100%, the deductible doesn't apply and there aren't any copays.

Should you decide to go on your own and buy insurance, you might want to talk to an enrolled agent or CPA who specializes in individual tax so that you understand the tax ramifications of your decision. For example, most of the time the health insurance premiums that you pay through your employer are paid with pre-tax dollars. If you don't go through your employer, you're paying for the premiums using after-tax dollars and in order to deduct them on your tax return, you'll have to exceed 7.5% of your AGI.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:09 AM

Yes, routine checkups are covered at 100% (not included in the deductible), and no, our company will not be contributing anything to our HSA.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Have you priced individual policies for your kids rather than carrying through your work?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 AM

98 posts, read 286,516 times
H. Insurance has been insane in recent years. I was running some numbers. To ensure my family, it's about 14% of my gross salary. Is that how it's supposed to be? Seems crazy to me. Maybe I'm just behind the times.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
H. Insurance has been insane in recent years. I was running some numbers. To ensure my family, it's about 14% of my gross salary. Is that how it's supposed to be? Seems crazy to me. Maybe I'm just behind the times.
I pay around $200/month for single + 1 w/ a $2 mil policy and $15 co-pays with a BCBS HMO. That's up $50/month from 2 years ago too...medical costs are getting out of control.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Have you priced individual policies for your kids rather than carrying through your work?
We live in Massachusetts. We have special laws in our state. If yyou don't have health coverage, you're fined when you do your taxes. I know that the government has special plans. I don't think I would qualify for it since I'm offered health insurance through my employer. I'm also a little on the fence on "government" healthcare. My neighbor has it, and from what she's told me you have to go to their doctors. She said it's really limited, and she often has to result in going to overcrowded clinics where she waits a very long time. I don't know how completely true that is either.

My ex-husband was ordered to pay for my children's healthcare after our divorce; however, his employer sent them a letter stating he didn't make enough. He lost a very good job over a year ago, and now has to work for $12/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment