Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:55 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,817,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Sorry I didn't really mean to come off so rude. Anyhow, I don't think its really something she's trying to do to be mean to you or other co-workers, it just sounds like she's not happy there. She probably feels like she's stuck at a place she doesn't want to work, and she probably doesn't want to work with you and whoever else(maybe you're being passively aggressive toward her..?). Its hard to blame her for acting that way if she's that unhappy.
It's cool. I know we all have our times where we come as rude.

She probably isn't happy. I can't exactly blame her. A lot of people don't like her and it seems she has a big problem with the library policies. Even I don't agree with all of them but c'est la vie and I'm happy to have a job.

A lot of her program ideas have been denied and our boss rarely approves the days she wants off.

I generally stay out of her way.
I haven't mentioned her Facebook surfing or any of that. I just try to do my job and get along with everyone else.

I can understand being unhappy but I'm the wrong one to take the unhappiness on. It isn't just me though. If she's in a bad mood, the whole workplace will feel it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:10 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,109,933 times
There are just too many people who are nice and normal these days that NEED jobs. She's in a library, not NASA (meaning the stress level is low, not that you are stupid).

The wacko should be reprimanded. Then again, she probably 'knows' someone and will never lose her job. (these sorts of jobs are usually 'appointed').

Good luck to the OP!

Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM

27 posts, read 28,804 times
She could have a crush ?

Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,236,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Yep, I work at a library.

I have a supervisor but he doesn't work where I work. He stops by every now and then but when he's around she's on her best behavior of course.

I may bring the issue to his attention when we have our evaluations in January.

I could request transferring BUT my boss would definitely want to know why.

I say hi to her every morning but for the most part when we work together the whole day, I don't talk to her unless I need to. I just don't feel like dealing with her.

I really think it's that.
I am pretty new to the group and I have caught on pretty fast and learned things even SHE hasn't known in the two years she has worked there.

I am a pretty fast typer and she complains I type too loud. She's the ONLY person to complain. Everyone else thinks SHE types loud. We are all annoyed by it. It's like she bangs on the keyboard.

If anything, I am the one that should feel the workload isn't shared fairly. Most of the time she sits on Facebook while a lot of us are working. The last day we worked together all day, she barely got up from her seat.

Take this for instance: I read my shelves (I look to see if my books are in order, if the shelves are packed too tight, etc.) EVERY DAY, MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY.

Tuesday I mentioned to a co-worker that I wanted more to do. She asked me to look up some things online for our summer reading program and I did. I was also requesting books for our story time and looking through our library catalog to see which books the kids would like.

WELL....she (the one I don't get along with) starts rearranging her books but she does it LOUDLY banging her books and she sighs loudly also. My other co-worker said, "She's probably mad you're on the computer and she can't get on Facebook." So I leave and later the meanie co-worker says, "I don't know why she was complaining she doesn't have anything to do. I could have found her something to do."

I always make it a point to find something to occupy my time. I admit, I do check my Facebook and get on City-data but not to the extent she sits on the computer while the other workers are working.

SOOOO....yesterday she says to me, "I am going to read my shelves and I'm going to dust EVERY single book. I want my shelves to be perfect. There is always something you can be doing."

My other co-worker witnessed this and she said, "What is she talking about? You're always doing something. This is the first time in months she has read her shelves."

The meanie co-worker also makes it a point to distinguish between the part-time people (which I am) and the full-time people. "Well, you wouldn't understand because you're part time."

Yep.

The next time something like that happens I would say "you have been here longer than me and are much more experienced, so I would love if you could help me learn how to do my job better. Can we schedule an hour where you can help me out with what I am doing wrong?"

Be sincere about it and follow through. At best you discover things you could do better, at worst you waste an hour and make things less tense in the workplace. If she is full of sh*t (which it sounds like she is) just ignore all of the advice she gives you. If you give someone a chance to talk about themselves and brag about their work, they will love you. Just say you want to learn from someone more experienced and let her talk. Anyone would eat that up.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,817,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The next time something like that happens I would say "you have been here longer than me and are much more experienced, so I would love if you could help me learn how to do my job better. Can we schedule an hour where you can help me out with what I am doing wrong?"

Be sincere about it and follow through. At best you discover things you could do better, at worst you waste an hour and make things less tense in the workplace. If she is full of sh*t (which it sounds like she is) just ignore all of the advice she gives you. If you give someone a chance to talk about themselves and brag about their work, they will love you. Just say you want to learn from someone more experienced and let her talk. Anyone would eat that up.
Ha, I love that suggestion.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 PM

853 posts, read 4,049,203 times
I sometimes handle passive aggresive people by responding to the literal meaning of their words, while ignoring body language and tone of voice.

It can deter them from acting like that (since they get no payoff), and it can also can be funny to watch.

I am tired so hopefully my post makes sense!

Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,136,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Passive agressive are the worst kind! I have a passive-aggressive boss and I'm always trying to second guess whether his actions are intentional (trying to get a reaction) or genuine. It can drive a person mad.

Whenever I have a coworker or boss that drives me crazy, I stop and think about the best way to deal with this particular individual. In a job where I had 30 production operators working for me, I had a HR manager that was driving me completely bonkers (kind of a passive agressive sort of thing). I thought about it and decided the best approach for her was to kill her with kindness. It worked. She tried several times to get under my skin and I would just smile and be as nice as pie. I hate to admit that I actually enjoyed watching her get frustrated because she couldn't get to me.

Try to find a way to deal with this individual that keeps you sane. I like to think of it this way - by letting them get to me, they are in control. If I choose a behavior that lets me be in control, I can handle the situation much easier.
That's the best way to deal with those kind of colleagues. Anything that puts me in control, I'm checking for it.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:43 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,399,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I am about to be at the end of my rope.

I have a co-worker who I absolutely don't get along with. It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't work in such close quarters. Sometimes there are three of us, a lot of times it's just 2. It just depends on the day.

What are some ways you have dealt with passive aggressive and otherwise annoying co-workers?

I used to really enjoy coming to work and now I dread it just because I have to deal with her. She isn't well liked by anyone. I have to work with her for 8 hours one day out the week and I hate every minute of it.
NEVER let others control you. NEVER.

By posting this thread, you're doing so.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,236,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
NEVER let others control you. NEVER.

By posting this thread, you're doing so.
You have to let the steriotypical type-A, 'has to be right all the time' person think they are in control or they are miserable.

That isn't to say they actually are, but confronting someone over an issue like the OP described is usually one of the worst ways to go

Old 11-16-2009, 08:51 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,399,229 times
But by merely posting this thread, she is allowing her co-worker to emotionally own her (so to speak) and control her. does the co-worker give a **** about her feeling bad? I doubt it.

Life is way too short to feel aggrieved at how a person at work is behaving. I may sound harsh, but she should just limit contact with her, or if she is abusive then inform her supervisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment