Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,730,410 times

Advertisements

Recently I applied for a job and I had an interview. I got an email from them a few days later saying that unfortunately they were delaying the job until next year (really annoying!), but I was welcome to apply for other jobs at their company. I had already applied to several other positions, so I thought I'd press my luck and respond to the interviewer and ask her about one position I especially liked. She responded to me with a clarification on the position which delighted me because of her responsiveness. I wrote back to her on Thursday night and told her I was still interested, and I'd appreciate it if she's connect me to the appropriate hiring manager. It's now Friday and she hasn't emailed me. I want to follow-up with her next week.

My dilemma: I want to show her that I'm aggressive and that I want this position, but I don't want to be overaggressive. My wife suggested that I email her on Monday or Tuesday, but I'm not sure. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 08:02 PM

28 posts, read 48,857 times
It's fine to follow up like that, just make sure you are polite, professional, and not pushy. Aggressive can easily come off as pushy and annoying so just be cautious with how you approach it. An occasional follow up to see if the position has been filled yet doesn't hurt either.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,404,832 times
Make sure you have actually formally applied for that position as well.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:09 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,910,735 times
Call her office number Monday morning at around 6:30am or in the late evening (when there's high chance she won't be in the office) and leave a voice mail. Aggressive but doesn't put her on the spot

Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Call her office number Monday morning at around 6:30am or in the late evening (when there's high chance she won't be in the office) and leave a voice mail. Aggressive but doesn't put her on the spot
Thank you all for the advice. Ideally, I'd like to call her, but she might not even be the right hiring manager for the new job. I only asked her to refer me to the correct person. She never stated if she was the person in charge of that position.

We've only talked (outside of the interview) using email. I DO have her number, but I'm not sure if I feel comfortable calling her. Is email enough?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,910,735 times
A call's not necessary but may be more beneficial. I originally said to leave a voice mail but if you can get her on the phone you can demonstrate that you're still highly interested in working for the company. Ask for a time frame for when the position may be re-posted and if the interviewer needs any additional information from you in order to help with their decision. Then ask for the contact information for the other position. Just call every once in awhile and ask how business is. Sometimes you just have to kick down the door ( i.e. be persistent )to get what you want.

In my professional experience I've just found that I get more accomplished through phone calls rather than emails.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
A call's not necessary but may be more beneficial. I originally said to leave a voice mail but if you can get her on the phone you can demonstrate that you're still highly interested in working for the company. Ask for a time frame for when the position may be re-posted and if the interviewer needs any additional information from you in order to help with their decision. Then ask for the contact information for the other position. Just call every once in awhile and ask how business is. Sometimes you just have to kick down the door ( i.e. be persistent )to get what you want.

In my professional experience I've just found that I get more accomplished through phone calls rather than emails.
Thank you very much for the advice. I'm a bit apprehensive with this organization because it's an NGO. My experience with NGOs is that you have a lot of idealism, and very little business experience. Sometimes aggression is not looked at as an asset. I don't know. I appreciate the help though.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,190,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Recently I applied for a job and I had an interview. I got an email from them a few days later saying that unfortunately they were delaying the job until next year (really annoying!), but I was welcome to apply for other jobs at their company. I had already applied to several other positions, so I thought I'd press my luck and respond to the interviewer and ask her about one position I especially liked. She responded to me with a clarification on the position which delighted me because of her responsiveness. I wrote back to her on Thursday night and told her I was still interested, and I'd appreciate it if she's connect me to the appropriate hiring manager. It's now Friday and she hasn't emailed me. I want to follow-up with her next week.

My dilemma: I want to show her that I'm aggressive and that I want this position, but I don't want to be overaggressive. My wife suggested that I email her on Monday or Tuesday, but I'm not sure. What do you think?
Its been one day. For all you know she had off on Friday. You have to give it a few days.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:21 AM

874 posts, read 1,661,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Its been one day. For all you know she had off on Friday. You have to give it a few days.
I agree. Even when I'm working at a place, I don't always get the information I need the next day, so I think a few days will give her the time she needs to answer your question.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:44 AM

80 posts, read 218,348 times
Research the organization more and see if you can find out who is the hiring manager. Imo, send a snail mail thank you card... thank her for her assistance and say you're looking forward to hearing from the hiring manager. I also agree that a voicemail/phone call at this point is a follow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment