Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,911 times

Advertisements

Is it the Xanax with the Red Bull chasers? So far, there have been several coworkers that have been let go, guys aged between 22 and 25, that are just messes. When they did their jobs, they were good and it was pleasurable to have them as coworkers.

Unfortunately, each one of them made several major mistakes and, despite being given second and third chances with warnings from the lawyer, they had to be let go.

Every one of them was sickly, as they called in 3-5 times per month. All of them did personal work on company time using company equipment - one even used the company cc to purchase server space for his own clients. One stalked a 50 year old female coworker. One refused to communicate, except by IM. Another one called us from his cell (while seated at his desk). Kind of strange behavior, as everyone is only a few steps away.

Their pay tops out at $15 per hour for the position (the job is a good stepping stone after college and the boss reimburses them for any additional education they may want, plus the hours are flexible for anyone wanting to pursue grad school). Strangely, two of them bought brand new luxury cars a few months after working with us. One of the guys had $800 a month payments (including insurance). We only knew that because two days before payday, he would act angry and nervous, sometimes shouting (that was near the end) about how broke he was.

None of those guys are around, thank God! We have a new 24 year old who generally presents himself in an adult manner. Unlike the others, he doesn't say "that's not in my job description" when asked to pitch in. Although he describes himself as sensible, he seems to have trouble budgeting his money. Late last year, he began the process of buying a house. He was looking at $250,000 houses. None of us could figure out how he was going to afford it, and eventually, he must have figured that out too, as he stopped looking. He moved back in with his parents (something about a five figure cc bill).

The boss confides in me daily and I hear he's making a number of mistakes that will cost him his job. The first few could have been overlooked as they were careless, but I hear about them weekly: 1)eating a breakfast sandwich while at on stage, then laying down to "rest" in front of an audience of 600+ during a serious professional event, 2)controlling and bossy behavior towards clients, 3)destroying the boss's communication files (plus backups) in an effort to use beta version programs, 4)not returning client phone calls, 5)never coming back from lunch (half sick day?), 6)taking cell phone calls as the boss is talking to him (with the finger raised "wait a minute"), and more.

He's only 24 and he's not a bad person, but he just doesn't seem to understand how to behave in the business world. Is there an etiquette class I can suggest to him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,705 times
No etiquette class for this guy. I don't believe he is still empolyed in this economy. something is wrong here. You learn how to behave when you work at your first job in high school.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 AM

22 posts, read 54,990 times
^ I sorta agree.

When I had my very first job as a teenager, I had these "manners" already programmed into me. Maybe it was upbringing...

Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 AM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
That pretty much the behavior I'm seeing in mid-20s teachers. Excessive absences, extreme lack of professional judgement, poor work habits.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,213,689 times
You just saw the few that give the rest a bad name. I am 23 and can promise not everyone is like that.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
i see the angry posts pop up whenever i try to talk about life skills and employment.
they swear young people are not like that and that we ran into a few rare exceptions.
the mantra of the 21st century. im not so bad we're not so bad its not so bad.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,424,041 times
Please, may I have his job?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
I know quite a few 20 somethings that are like that... it's very very irritating. When I was 19 I was promoted to store manager at a quick lube place and every single one of the people on my staff (barring one cashier) was older than me. They were the BIGGEST slackers EVER and it annoyed me to no end. Thought nothing of calling in sick because 'they didn't feel like coming in' or 'they had a hangover', would be late consistently, and ALWAYS used the 'it's not in my job description' excuse to get out of doing any extra work for the team.

Right now, I'm working with a bunch of older 20 somethings (and a few early 30 somethings, but in general I work in a very young company) and it's night and day. Everyone shows up early or on time without being asked, stuff get done quickly and efficiently and we have a great time doing it

For you, OP, I think it's just a case of overprivledged kid syndrome...especially considering you mentioned large credit card debt and luxury cars. Too many young kids living the dream but not realizing the dream costs a lot of money they don't have. I think having him fired would teach him a good lesson about manners.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,213,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i see the angry posts pop up whenever i try to talk about life skills and employment.
they swear young people are not like that and that we ran into a few rare exceptions.
the mantra of the 21st century. im not so bad we're not so bad its not so bad.
I am 23, I am a computer programmer for a fortune 500 company, I got promoted less than a year after starting my job out of college (in the middle of a hiring freeze where my 40 year old manager wasn't given a raise), I have spent extra time studying new technologies so I can teach the older people who are unwilling to work a minute over 40 hours/week what they need simply to do their job.

Yes, you did run into the few exceptions. There are lazy people of every age, young and old. I could give you story after story of the older people who refuse to do anything that isn't specifically in their job description because they are too lazy to learn any new skill if you want. In my experience, the only people willing to go the extra mile to help out are under 30. Should we start a thread bashing people outside our respective age groups, or realize threads like this are inherently ageist?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,735,969 times
Why would you want to save such people from getting fired? If a 24 year old (I'm 24) isn't mature enough to handle a job, they don't deserve one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment