Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:19 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times

Advertisements

There is a video to article:

Who Needs College? 7 Core Success Skills of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:26 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
There is a video to article:

Who Needs College? 7 Core Success Skills of
This can be thrown in with the rest of those poorly written articles that lag in the critical examination department.

Bill Gates is borderline genius and actually went to Harvard. Mark Zuckerberg, the actual creator of Facebook, also went to Harvard. Most of the other honorable mentions in this article are very bright people who carved out there path to success. Doesn't really apply to average joe america.

Besides, whenever these types of articles are written, they completely miss the point of what college is about. You go there with the idea of enriching your life, not becoming the next billionaire. If that's all you want in life, then don't bother going to college. Your time would be more efficiently put to use on developing your business plan.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
only idiots with no college degrees think this crap is legit

they're probably all like "yeeeaah, who needs college, duhhhhh, i can just become a billionaire with my amazing ideas"

then they smash beer cans on their heads.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Is having a trust fund and/or rich relatives a skill?

Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
When i read these articles or anything similar, i always look at what makes these guys successful and not about how i can make a billion. Whether you go to college or not, it is interesting to see what can be done to help yourself as a entrepreneur or working in a big company.

Quite a few kids go to college to make their parents happy eventhough they might have some ideas of starting a business. I know a few of my friends that just wanted to satisfy their parents. They're very successful working for fortune 500 companies, but i gotta wonder if only they had at least tried to pursue their business ideas.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:26 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I heard an advertisement on the radio this morning for some local college. There is going to be a seminar and open mic regarding the importance of college. Haha, just more impressionable young people drinking the coolaid...

I'm not saying college is a bad idea, but it certainly isn't going to make you rich, or even well off. You still much apply yourself to your endeavors afterward. If met far to many jaded 20-somethings who graduated, and didn't achieve anything. Of course, it's the colleges fault they say! In their minds, college degree was supposed to = prosperity... Not exactly... Yes, politicians do mislead, but that's another subject entirely.

Now, if someone want's to start a business, should they bother with college? Yea, if they pick a good school, study hard, and can pay for it by working. But get this... I can walk into any bank right now and get a dirt cheap loan because I owe nobody a dime. I've always paid my bills on time, I've established myself as someone who can be trusted with money. I didn't mess around much with college, but the average graduate coming out of college these days is so straddled with debt with no opportunity to pay it off... Of course, their credit scores start plummeting, and there goes any chance of them starting a business (at least with the bank's money). Is it fair? Absolutely not. But college may hypothetically serve as something of a road block to many entrepreneurial ideas. If your dream is to be some miserable corporate slave though, then by all means, go for it

Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Quite a few kids go to college to make their parents happy eventhough they might have some ideas of starting a business. I know a few of my friends that just wanted to satisfy their parents. They're very successful working for fortune 500 companies, but i gotta wonder if only they had at least tried to pursue their business ideas.
Yup, parents are some of the biggest pushers of college. I donno why colleges even bother spending the money to advertise... I think the parents have the fear of their kids going out into the world without the security of a college degree.

The day I dropped out of college, my mother was terrified and angry. I got the whole talk about how I cannot make it in this world without a college degree. I called BS on her and moved on. Looking back, I donno how I would make it today trying to pay back some of the outrageous student loan bills my friends are struggling to pay. I sure don't feel like eating top ramen for the next decade. Sure, it's cheap, but heart attacks aren't

Old 10-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I heard an advertisement on the radio this morning for some local college. There is going to be a seminar and open mic regarding the importance of college. Haha, just more impressionable young people drinking the coolaid...

I'm not saying college is a bad idea, but it certainly isn't going to make you rich, or even well off. You still much apply yourself to your endeavors afterward. If met far to many jaded 20-somethings who graduated, and didn't achieve anything. Of course, it's the colleges fault they say! In their minds, college degree was supposed to = prosperity... Not exactly... Yes, politicians do mislead, but that's another subject entirely.

Now, if someone want's to start a business, should they bother with college? Yea, if they pick a good school, study hard, and can pay for it by working. But get this... I can walk into any bank right now and get a dirt cheap loan because I owe nobody a dime. I've always paid my bills on time, I've established myself as someone who can be trusted with money. I didn't mess around much with college, but the average graduate coming out of college these days is so straddled with debt with no opportunity to pay it off... Of course, their credit scores start plummeting, and there goes any chance of them starting a business (at least with the bank's money). Is it fair? Absolutely not. But college may hypothetically serve as something of a road block to many entrepreneurial ideas. If your dream is to be some miserable corporate slave though, then by all means, go for it
For many college grads, it's an adaptation process. Sure, they may be jaded now, but they can overcome that feeling of hopelessness and still succeed. I agree with you on many things, but I don't agree with your overall assessment with this.

Your comment resonates complete hopelessness as a result of going to college, having student loan debt, and being able to succeed in life. I don't like that. I don't think it's a good way of viewing things. People have overcome much greater obstacles in life than a $50k pile of debt.

Yes, I would advise more stringent financial planning for future college students. That is about it though.

I still think education attained in college is still valuable to the world. Believe it or not, there is still a lot of ignorance in this world and a real lack of critical thinking ability. I see this less out of quality college grads and more out of those who think they have it all figured out, but have never been seriously questioned since they never put themselves in a situation to be critiqued (i.e. a college classroom full of diverse ideas).

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 10-04-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
For many college grads, it's an adaptation process. Sure, they may be jaded now, but they can overcome that feeling of hopelessness and still succeed. I agree with you on many things, but I don't agree with your overall assessment with this.

Your comment resonates complete hopelessness as a result of going to college, having student loan debt, and being able to succeed in life. I don't like that. I don't think it's a good way of viewing things. People have overcome much greater obstacles in life than a $50k pile of debt.

Yes, I would advise more stringent financial planning for future college students. That is about it though.

I still think education attained in college is still valuable to the world. Believe it or not, there is still a lot of ignorance in this world and a real lack of critical thinking ability. Sadly, I see this less out of quality college grads and more out of those who think they have it all figured out, but have never been seriously questioned since they never put themselves in a situation to be critiqued (i.e. a college classroom full of diverse ideas).
Sure, it's valuable. Of course, the quality of the education is the most important factor that one can have control over. 5 years ago, the idea was if you get a degree, any degree, from any school, you will be set. Now, some people are finding out that isn't quite true the hard way.

As for debt, I think young people are getting screwed these days. There is no reason for college tuition to rise every year when American's are struggling so much. I see it as a money grab.

As for the ignorance present in today's society... I've mentioned before that I believe people of value tend to gravitate towards college. I don't think college can fix stupidity though. Critical thinking ability may even be one of those things that cannot be taught. In college, I met an awful lot of left wing liberal types who loved the Democrats methods of "fixing" the economy. When asked if Keynesian economics works, they were lost. When asked if they know what Keynesian economics even meant or entailed, they got mad. Many people know things, but not all of them know what those things mean or how they relate to other things. The types who ask the hows and whys will be the ones who benefit the most from a good quality education.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sure, it's valuable. Of course, the quality of the education is the most important factor that one can have control over. 5 years ago, the idea was if you get a degree, any degree, from any school, you will be set. Now, some people are finding out that isn't quite true the hard way.

As for debt, I think young people are getting screwed these days. There is no reason for college tuition to rise every year when American's are struggling so much. I see it as a money grab.

As for the ignorance present in today's society... I've mentioned before that I believe people of value tend to gravitate towards college. I don't think college can fix stupidity though. Critical thinking ability may even be one of those things that cannot be taught. In college, I met an awful lot of left wing liberal types who loved the Democrats methods of "fixing" the economy. When asked if Keynesian economics works, they were lost. When asked if they know what Keynesian economics even meant or entailed, they got mad. Many people know things, but not all of them know what those things mean or how they relate to other things. The types who ask the hows and whys will be the ones who benefit the most from a good quality education.
I agree about placing more stock in quality education than just any ol' education. I emphasize that all the time on the education forums. And yes, the people who are always asking the hows and whys are usually the ones who will not only benefit from a quality education, but also in life as a whole.

And college is becoming way too expensive, but it's because it has become more accessible to people (which I don't necessarily disagree with), and thus the principles of supply and demand play a big part in dictating cost. There are a lot of people who would actually benefit by not going to college and just maybe that would help reduce the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment