Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times

Advertisements

What can they say?

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
I don't know for sure but I remember (mid to late 1980s) an HR guy at the big aerospace company I worked at then, tell me that all they tell them is date started and date ended. I'm not sure if he said they also tell them pay starting and ending. I don't think there was any mention of reason for leaving.

Probably doesn't help much, but that's what I vaguely remember.

One thing to add to the thread is a lot of job applications ask "May we contact your [past, present] employer?" If you had a problem with one of them, then what do you do? I suppose if you did you should still say OK, because saying NO sends a bad message. At least there's a chance the potential employer either won't call or the old employer want say anything bad.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times
There is an excellent answer to this question in another thread here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...taff-no-2.html

Read post #13 -- it's quite comprehensive!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:47 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Many companies will only give out your date of hire, when you left the company, and if you are elgible for rehire. Beyond that they usually require a signed release from you stating what information they can give out on you. My current employer required me to give them permission to request several things from my past employers including a copy of everything in my personnal file. Have no idea what they ended up actually asking for from my past employers.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
This might sound bad, but there are ways companies can imply things about a former employee just in answering that simple question about whether or not someone is eligible for rehire.
There is the nice simple "No, that person is not eligible for rehire at this time", or the more sinister "Oh, no, no, that person is not eligible for rehire, would you like the number for our corporate personnel department to verify the reason for involuntary termination?"

Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Legally they can say anything they want as long as it's factual and without personal bias.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 17,844 times
A company can only say when you started and when you left the job. If the company tries to give you a bad reputation they can face a lawsuit. I had a company one time try to give me a bad rap. They provided false information and I ended up in court with them. This has made companies scared of lawsuits so they will give little information. If they do give bad information you do have recourse. There is a law that protects former employees.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gids View Post
A company can only say when you started and when you left the job.
Wrong.

Quote:
If the company tries to give you a bad reputation they can face a lawsuit. I had a company one time try to give me a bad rap. They provided false information and I ended up in court with them. This has made companies scared of lawsuits so they will give little information. If they do give bad information you do have recourse. There is a law that protects former employees.
A company can say whatever they want about you as long as it's objective and factual. They can say that you were fired for repeatedly coming in late after several warnings as long as it's true. They can say that you got into several verbal altercations with coworkers, and were ultimately fired for a physical altercation with a coworker, as long as it's true.

If they give false information or use subjective language, you can sue for slander. But as long as what they say is true, they can say it. Try to sue when they've acted within the law and given a poor but factual and objective reference, and you'll not only lose but will also be blackballed in your industry.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
This might sound bad, but there are ways companies can imply things about a former employee just in answering that simple question about whether or not someone is eligible for rehire.
There is the nice simple "No, that person is not eligible for rehire at this time", or the more sinister "Oh, no, no, that person is not eligible for rehire, would you like the number for our corporate personnel department to verify the reason for involuntary termination?"
This is true. I got a phone call looking for a reference on a former coworker who was at best marginal at her job (the only reason she wasn't let go was because her boss was a pushover who was really too nice to be a manager and did anything he could to avoid confrontation) and created havoc in the office. She was in payroll and spoke openly to coworkers about people's salaries, garnishments, etc., and if there was drama in the office, you can bet she was involved.

After she left (after giving and rescinding notice half a dozen times, the last time she tried and her bosses boss told her "no way, it's over, you gave notice, you're gone") someone called for a reference. I answered the phone, and said, "Oh, her." My tone of voice was like this ----> :smack : Then I said I'd have to transfer them to someone who could give them "some info" and sent them to the voice mail of the HR guy, who had left 15 minutes earlier for a two week vacation. (oops... )

What I did was perfectly legal and within the law, I don't know if that person ever called back and got her former supervisor on the phone, but I tend to think that after the tone I use with those two words, probably not.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Why on earth do people reply to posts like this when they clearly don't know the answer. It is perfectly legal to say things about employees other than validating employment and salary. Just because a lot of companies don't give out information doesn't make it illegal.

Honestly, the third post in this thread links to a very good explanation of can be said yet people post after that with information that is just plain wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment