Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,268,310 times

Advertisements

I applied for a position as an environmental consultant. I was then contacted by the employer to discuss the position. I called three times and left messages and then contacted the individual who sent me the e-mail by cell phone too. He asked me to call him and now is giving me the cold shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM

58 posts, read 158,002 times
Although it's hard, taking the high road (translation: assuming they are so busy that rude and not returning calls since they have other "fires" is okay) is the way to go in these situations. So you might obtain an email address from an assitant there and try email which works well.--I see now you have his email....so there goes my good advice! Just be sure to word things very professionally and not defensively. And also, you might also note in any future voice mails times and dates YOu could come in to meet, so you're being proactive versus playing phone tag (alone, in this case, I know!) Hope that helps!

Be sure you're providing something proactive versus simply a call back situation...create a need and urgency by stating times you're available next week and I'd do that by email because your frustration may show on voice mail more easily.

Vicki Herrod

Last edited by vh380; 03-28-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Saw an error

Old 03-28-2008, 02:32 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,268,310 times
Thanks for the advice. This was an independent state agency. Also I applied for a very similar position about a month ago and the same thing happened.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,080,913 times
Maybe they are stringing you along (as well as other people) until they see if someone works out? I don't doubt this goes on all the time. They like 2 or 3 people, hire one and figure if this guy doesn't work out, we'll call one of the others.

When it's going to click, it will. Keep looking!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,506,561 times
It was something like 9 months from my initial interview to my hire date at a job I just got.

They did give me a reason, that they decided they weren't ready to hire for the position, and then it changed shifts, and then it changed shifts again, and I stayed in touch via e-mail/phone.

My best advice, get a date from them when you can expect to hear something. And then call them the day after they said they were going to tell you something. Its a good way to show that you're interested in the position, but not desperate. The phone call I usually have is, "Hey, its _________, any update on the position? No? Okay, when might you know better?" And repeat as necessary.

And if you're actively looking for work, keep looking for other jobs. I had the benefit of trying to grab a weekend job while already working 20-30 hrs a week.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,347,834 times
what is an independent state agency? Anyway, if it is a state or government agency, you should not be at all suprised by that response, sometimes it can take forever. I would not keep contacting them if you have already tried that many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment