Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,458,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A lot of people want to move to this area--they think. When offered a job they back out when reality hits that they'll be leaving friends and family, or when they find out that the cost of living is higher than they think it's going to be, or they get ehre and six months later decide that living in Florida is a very different experience than what they had when vacationing in Florida, and pack up and leave.

My employer has been burned this way several times, and just isn't going to deal with it any more.
What about college students returning home after graduation?

I'm currently living in Massachusetts. When I graduate, I will be moving back to Georgia unless I get offered an amazing job elsewhere. I'll be returning to family and friends, while leaving some others. That's life.

If I'm planning on returning anyway, it just completely steams me that applying for jobs local to where I will absolutely be living but am not *currently* living (of course would be applying in a time sensitive manner so that the job would not start before I graduated) would mean my application is just tossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Unless they contain spelling errors, are grammatically incorrect, or composed in a nonsensical fashion, resumes are very poor indicators of real skills.
But what is indicative is people who can't follow simple yet very specific directions in a help wanted ad.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What about college students returning home after graduation?

I'm currently living in Massachusetts. When I graduate, I will be moving back to Georgia unless I get offered an amazing job elsewhere. I'll be returning to family and friends, while leaving some others. That's life.

If I'm planning on returning anyway, it just completely steams me that applying for jobs local to where I will absolutely be living but am not *currently* living (of course would be applying in a time sensitive manner so that the job would not start before I graduated) would mean my application is just tossed.
The average college student uses their school address and also includes their parents home as their "permanent" address on the resume. It's easy to see that the person is in college, and it would make sense that they were applying for jobs both around the college as well as around where they grew up/went to high school.

In this case, it is not a job that a person currenly enrolled in college would have the skills or experience to be applying for.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times
Awww Poor Anniepop

Tons of unemployed people looking for work and you are complaining about getting the WRONG REPLIES.

Hey Annie, "DEAL WITH IT!!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 PM

914 posts, read 4,446,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I agree. Employers do not always follow the rules of the game, even if it is rules that they set themselves. So if the opportunity appeals to the candidate and they meet some of the qualifications (even if now all), then they probably feel like they have nothing to lose?
This is very true. Probably the best job I ever had I was waaay under qualified for. I applied online, even though I definitely didn't meet their listed minimum qualifications. (I did, however, feel strongly it was something I could do.) I didn't really expect to hear back, though, and was pretty shocked when I heard from them a month later. I was offered the job during the interview.

Sometimes when employers say they want something, they don't necessarily mean it. I can see how it is frustrating to get people you aren't looking for, but the reality is that it is common for employers not to always mean what they say in adds. And it is basically impossible to tell which employers those are and which aren't. People are just hoping to get lucky. It is pretty easy to delete them, probably a lot easier for someone in a desperate job search. Also, a lot of job coaches tell people to do things differently to get noticed. Maybe some of the people not following directions are following that school of thought. I am totally anal retentive, so I can see how not following the specified application directions might bother you, but this may be why it is happening in at least some cases.

It goes both ways, too. I know when I have looked for jobs in the past I would sometimes apply to positions that I definitely met all the advertised qualifications for . . . only to be told that my application was rejected because I didn't meet the minimum qualifications. The times when I have asked why, I've been told things like they are looking for someone with a minimum of 2-3 years of experience when their add listed a required minimum of 1 year. And don't even get me started on employers who advertise for positions they don't even have . . . I can see how some applicants would be jaded enough not to care about following directions or meeting qualifications when I think about how much of my time was wasted by potential employers whenever I've been an applicant.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Awww Poor Anniepop

Tons of unemployed people looking for work and you are complaining about getting the WRONG REPLIES.

Hey Annie, "DEAL WITH IT!!!!
I told a job coach that called us today about a client that we weren't interested, primarily based on your posts. If they are even remotely as idiotic with their views as you are, it's not anything we want to be involved with. Deal with that.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:53 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,022,151 times
In this era of depression it isn't just applicants who are lying to try to get far out jobs. Some of the companies I have applied to such as a commission based Sales and Marketing group took me in for an interview and totally took me for a ride, lying to me throughout the day about how they operate. They were trying to get me to work door to door sales for no actual paid salary.

Your application system is obviously designed to find those who honestly do have the skills and abilities necessary, and if you can suss out who is lying, then clearly turn them down, be happy at least you have a job, and shut up whining.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 AM

563 posts, read 1,711,655 times
Why do we apply? Because some of us are willing to move just to get work, and because we have bills to pay. And most of us don't expect any employer to pay for relocation in this economy.

I really don't have any sympathy for the OP because I don't have a job, and would do anything to get a job, and she's whining about too many applicants that don't follow exact instructions or meet exact qualifications. Well...go a few months without a job and see how desperate you get. At that point you don't have anything to lose by trying for any position you might be qualified for. Maybe someone needs to lay YOU off so you can see how it feels, and stop being so critical of people that are unemployed and desperate. I can understand it being annoying, but it's just that: an annoyance. It's not life or death for you, food or no food, roof or no roof. Whereas for some of the applicants you are complaining about, it might be.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:46 AM

I was laid off earlier this year, and I did have to find a new job. I followed the instructions on how to apply and didn't apply for jobs I was clearly unqualified for. I don't believe in wasting other people's time or mine. So yes, I KNOW how it feels. It sucks. But that isn't an excuse for wasting anyone's time--including your own--applying for jobs incorrectly. That's a good way to make sure you don't get the job, even if you ARE qualified. One of the applications that we tossed was someone that was qualified as far as previous experience, except they didn't follow instructions.

We have a variety of reasons for wanting applicants to follow exact instructions--first and foremost if they can't figure it out when applying--which is when they should be at the absolute top of their game--they aren't going to do so when working, and this particular job requires very intense attention to detail. Not following one of the steps in completing a job could require a "do-over" that would cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

And for the person above who said I should "shut up"--maybe your rudeness is why you are unemployed. Just a thought.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 AM

975 posts, read 1,755,716 times
As a former business owner I find your idea of hiring only people that follow the rules a really bad business decision at the very least and may say more about you than the people applying. Given that you've taken to the internet to express your frustration just compounds my notion that there is something very wrong with you as a person and possibly with your company. It certainly doesn't sound like a place I would encourage someone to apply nor does it seem fitting with a company going somewhere.

So people apply who aren't qualified, get over it or stop hiring if you can't handle the realities of the position. When I ran my business I specifically told HR to place ads that said "no phone calls" in bold print, but to basically only hire people who called. But then again I didn't want typical mindless worker bees I wanted aggressive people, take charge types, who really wanted a job.

Following rules is a poor indicator, btw, of talent. Most talented people don't follow rules in fact while most ordinary people do and companies are really just a collection of people. Collect a bunch of zombie rule abiding people and you become a boring, non inventive, complacent company filled with a bunch of twits. Don't believe me? They hired you didn't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment