Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM

7 posts, read 11,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Just do the opposite of what most unemployed people do like...

Going to Job Fairs

Going to Popular Job Sites

Applying to open positions posted on websites

Applying to a 100 job opening in one week

Paying attention to what the News is saying about the economy

Good Luck
Job fairs are scarce here, but I'd gladly attend given a chance. I don't mean to be negative here, but 100 job openings? That seems too "quantity over quality" for me. I do as many as I can, but it never peaks at even half that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Some ideas ---
1) Let EVERYONE you know, know that you are looking for a job.
2) Go to industrial parks with resume in hand and ask how and where they post their jobs (some use temp pools as probationary measures, etc, so many openings are never 'advertised').
3) Check your areas' Economic Development Agency's company listings looking for large, stable companies.
4) Check city, county, state, federal job listings online or call each and ask where they post. Make a list of them and check them regularly. Most have their own websites and are apply online only now (at least in Calif). Application process can be long, but can also be good long term job in these times. Federal may be the only ones with less cutbacks yet however - and likely the longest process time.
5) Get an industry magazine or publication (that shows business addresses and fax numbers) and choose a few (dozen) and fax off resumes.

Finding a job has a lot to do with luck and timing..... GOOD LUCK!!
You by far had the MOST helpful post. If there was a thank you button, i'd use it right now. I went to a job search technique class today, and you could have taught it! Networking is such a vital part of job searching, and I did a bit of that today and already have several job leads!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I like the website SIMPLYHIRED.COM
It pulls adds from all sorts of other sites. And I like how I can narrow down the areas and miles.

I also look on Craigslist. There are A LOT of weird things on there but every now and again you will find a gem.

I mentioned this on another post, but it is a numbers game. Send at least one resume a day somewhere. Also keep a list of what you applied to so if they call you know which job they are talking about!

You can also call a HR department if you are interested in working at a specific place and see if they have any openings. If they don't why not see if you can intern or volunteer a few hours...If you have nothing else to do this goes a long ways as to showing your dedication and work ethic.

good luck!
Another very helpful post that I will put to use. I too like simplyhired. Indeedjobs is really nice as well. Currently I'm working on tailoring my resume for a few leads I bumped into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Seriously, all jokes aside - your not really a career counselor, right?

You better believe it big time

Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 11,740 times
Update: Job acquired.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:46 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrevolution View Post
Good to hear.

As rare and hard as jobs are to come buy treat it with respect.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrevolution View Post
Congrats! Hopefully it will work out for you!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelva View Post
1) let everyone you know, know that you are looking for a job.

this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment