Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:14 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,229,101 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever filed a harassment complaint while still working at the same company that the complaint will be filed against? I believe my husband might have an age discrimination/harassment case against his companies only supervisor, but I know he is very hesitant to do anything at this time because of the economy. However, this supervisor is creating an intimidating and hostile work environment and I hate to see him put up with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,592,595 times
I have not but I would suggest your husband document everything that takes place. Date and time in a notebook along with people who see what is taking place. You are right about the economy but no one should have to work in an environment like this. DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 AM

He/we are :-)

Old 08-16-2009, 06:01 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,904,853 times
It's really a slippery slope. What kind of harassment is occurring? How old is your husband. The problem is that once the genie is out of the bottle, your husband will likely be unemployable as other companies will avoid hiring him due to the claim. I'd first take it to a skip-level meeting and sit down with his supervisor's boss with HR. And, as noted continue to document everything.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Thanks that is his way of thinking also, but I keep thinking what in the world are these laws there for if not to protect everyday, hard working people! He will be 50 this year.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 AM

710 posts, read 1,963,267 times
Yikes, that's a tough situation.

I have filed an EEOC complaint in the past, and the EEOC found in my favor, but that's all I wanted--was for them to find in my favor and for the company I had worked for to knock it off. I never sued them or anything. And when I filed the complaint I was already working for someone else. It wasn't an age thing, though--it was based on gender (I was pregnant and my supervisor told me "I don't like pregnant people," sent me out to do a bogus inventory right after the place had been sprayed with pesticide, and then fired me shortly thereafter.).

Anyway, I think I would be very hesitant to mess with such a thing in this current environment. Your husband will have to be letter-perfect in every way or they can fire him and point to even the smallest mistake as the cause.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Yes we spoke all all the ups and downs, and he is not going to do anything. I know that one person has already filed a complain on this supervisor so I guess we have to be happy with that. We don't want any money, it is just horrible that a person in a supervisory position can be so disrespectful to an individual. Oh well some day he will get what he dishes out

Old 08-18-2009, 07:10 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,380,217 times
It actually might stop the discrimination. If he files and then is discriminated against further he would have a retaliation claim.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,698 times
I filed an EEOC complaint against my employer in April 2014. I just received a call from the EEOC saying that I do have a case. Yesterday I received a call from my previous employer (I retired from there in 4/2014 because of harassment and bullying). The call was from the general counsel of this employer and she wants to meet with me on Monday to discuss my case and see what it is that I want. Does anyone have any legal advice on whether I should meet with the general counsel?? I am tempted because if I do go to mediation the findings may reveal that I don't have a solid case and I won't get a settlement.
I am extremely surprised that the general counsel wants to meet with me. I am wondering what the motive is and why they just respond to the EEOC with their side of the story. Any ideas on this?

Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleywhirley View Post
I am extremely surprised that the general counsel wants to meet with me. I am wondering what the motive is and why they just respond to the EEOC with their side of the story. Any ideas on this?
It sounds like they feel you have good cause to file a lawsuit against them and they want to settle so that doesn't happen.

Get yourself a good labor attorney and have him / her go to this meeting with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment