Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,706,996 times

Advertisements

After 4 weeks. Why they hired him in the first place is beyond me,especially if they knew they were only going to need him for a few weeks. After being there 4 weeks he sprained his hand/wrist and could not work these past 2 weeks per doctor's orders so when he called last night to find out what position he was going to be doing he was told to speak with the HR director. Well, hubby called this morning and the director never called him back so he went down to his job earlier and found the director and was told he was being let go and it had nothing to do with job performance or his injury and that the company was cutting back and he and 9 others were let go. Why couldn't he have told him this 10 days ago when he handed him the doctor's note?!! Sorry if I'm ranting but we are just so frustrated because we have had some really bad luck the past 18 months and we are at our wits end. I know, as Bon Jovi would say "You Gotta Keep The Faith."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
It's possible taht they ust didn't know that early on. I don't know what type of work it is, but could the company ahve been expecting to be awarded a contract taht didn't happen, or maybe one of their biggest customers just went belly up so the company your husband worked for knew they would need to cut back their output?

Either way I hope he finds something else soon--good luck!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 PM

275 posts, read 743,639 times
I think nobody would hire knowing they will let this person go soon.

Good luck.

Thanks for your good wishes Annerk. Hubby also was told from one of the co-workers as he was leaving earlier that the company may be re-locating out of state next year so again I say why did they hire him? I'm done......no more venting.

16,408 posts, read 33,324,470 times
Tell your husband to file for Workers' Compensation for the salary loss (while he was employed) and for payment of medical expenses for his injuries. Then once he is better, hopefullly he has enough work time in with a previous job to add to this job's tenure to be eligible for unemployment insurance.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 PM

Our doctor's office called and the HR director said Hubby wasn't there long to file for WC and for medical expenses.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:49 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,946,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Our doctor's office called and the HR director said Hubby wasn't there long to file for WC and for medical expenses.
I find this hard to believe.

If he was hurt on the job he sure is entitled and covered from day one.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,527,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I find this hard to believe.

If he was hurt on the job he sure is entitled and covered from day one.

I agree...

if he was hurt on the job he is covered. Don't let them snowball you. My DH was in a position and had only been there 2 weeks. He had an accident that he cut his hand and almost lost a finger. Everything was covered and he was paid for the missed time.

I am sorry that this happened to you, I wish you luck.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
WRONG ANSWER!! If he was an actual employee, not a 1099 (contract) employee, he is eligible for W/C from day ONE! There is a one week wait period for lost wages, but medical must be paid IN FULL from the first minute the injured employee begins work.

This is the NJ law, if you aren't in NJ, google the laws for your state, but they are all basically the same.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Frequently Asked Questions

[SIZE=3]34:15-14. Waiting period. [/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Except as provided pursuant to R.S. 34:15-75, no compensation other than medical aid shall accrue and be payable until the employee has been disabled 7 days, whether the days of disability immediately follow the accident, or whether they be consecutive or not. These days shall be termed the waiting period. The day that the employee is unable to continue at work by reason of his accident, whether it be the day of the accident or later, shall count as one whole day of the waiting period. Should the total period of disability extend beyond 7 days, additional compensation shall at once become payable covering the above prescribed waiting period. [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][LEFT]34:15-15. Medical and hospital service. [/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]The employer shall furnish to the injured worker such medical, surgical and other treatment, and hospital service as shall be necessary to cure and relieve the worker of the effects of the injury and to restore the functions of the injured member or organ where such restoration is possible; provided, however, that the employer shall not be liable to furnish or pay for physicians’ or surgeons’ services in excess of $50.00 and in addition to furnish hospital service in excess of $50.00, unless the injured worker or the worker’s physician who provides treatment, or any other person on the worker’s behalf, shall file a petition with the Division of Workers’ Compensation stating the need for physicians’ or surgeons’ services in excess of $50.00, as aforesaid, and such hospital service or appliances in excess of $50.00, as aforesaid, and the Division of Workers’ Compensation after investigating the need of the same and giving the employer an opportunity to be heard, shall determine that such physicians’ and surgeons’ treatment and hospital services are or were necessary, and that the fees for the same are reasonable and shall make an order requiring the employer to pay for or furnish the same. The mere furnishing of medical [/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
rev. date July 10, 2009 28
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]treatment or the payment thereof by the employer shall not be construed to be an admission of liability.
If the employer shall refuse or neglect to comply with the foregoing provisions of this section, the employee may secure such treatment and services as may be necessary and as may come within the terms of this section, and the employer shall be liable to pay therefore; provided, however, that the employer shall not be liable for any amount expended by the employee or by any third person on the employee’s behalf for any such physicians’ treatment and hospital services, unless such employee or any person on the employee’s behalf shall have requested the employer to furnish the same and the employer shall have refused or neglected so to do, or unless the nature of the injury required such services, and the employer or the superintendent or foreman of the employer, having knowledge of such injury shall have neglected to provide the same, or unless the injury occurred under such conditions as make impossible the notification of the employer, or unless the circumstances are so peculiar as shall justify, in the opinion of the Division of Workers’ Compensation, the expenditures assumed by the employee for such physicians’ treatment and hospital services, apparatus and appliances. [/LEFT]
All fees and other charges for such physicians’ and surgeons’ treatment and hospital treatment shall be reasonable and based upon the usual fees and charges which prevail in the same community for similar physicians’, surgeons’ and hospital services.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,527,616 times
to add:

The HR director has the companies interest at heart. Not your hubby's.
Fight that tooth and nail !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment