Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,468,878 times

Advertisements

Call me jaded and cynical, but I think the company didn't want him there due to the accident and the expense that would be incurred in the future.

I was written up in my last job for being sick for three days, in spite of the fact I had a Dr's note to stay home and they KNEW I was really sick as I'd been in the office two days before seeing the Dr. These companies don't want to deal with anyone unless they work overtime for free, don't take time to pee, and work like a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,550,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Call me jaded and cynical, but I think the company didn't want him there due to the accident and the expense that would be incurred in the future.

I was written up in my last job for being sick for three days, in spite of the fact I had a Dr's note to stay home and they KNEW I was really sick as I'd been in the office two days before seeing the Dr. These companies don't want to deal with anyone unless they work overtime for free, don't take time to pee, and work like a dog.

sadly enough, there is a lot of truth in your words.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:19 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,936,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
...work overtime for free, don't take time to pee, and work like a dog.
Oh, you're the one who got that job. I saw that job description and almost applied myself.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,468,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Oh, you're the one who got that job. I saw that job description and almost applied myself.
That job description...it's about every job description these days It's gotten to the point where we may as well revert back to fetching coffee for the boss.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,647,140 times
It is possible that they knew they were going to "lay him off" when he went out on leave.

For example, I know someone who went out on paternity leave and the day he returned to work he was laid off. They knew they were going to lay him off (he was part of a larger RIF) but had to wait until he was back to work in order to actually lay him off.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,363,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you fall at work regardless of the cause, it's w/c. I broke a bone in my foot when I stood up out of my desk chair one day. It just went "snap." The medical bills were covered under W/C.
Your injury as you describe it had NOTHING to do with the performance of your job - it just happened. Nothing against you, and I hope you healed up without difficulty, but that is exactly my point - why should that be considered a "work-related" injury?
But this is off-topic and the question is moot.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,179,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Your injury as you describe it had NOTHING to do with the performance of your job - it just happened. Nothing against you, and I hope you healed up without difficulty, but that is exactly my point - why should that be considered a "work-related" injury?
But this is off-topic and the question is moot.
I'm wouldn't argue that fact with you. Had I tripped over the chair leg, then it would have been work related. But at the hospital they asked how it happened, I told them, they billed w/c, w/c paid it. If they hadn't I would have turned it into my health insurance for payment.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I'm wouldn't argue that fact with you. Had I tripped over the chair leg, then it would have been work related. But at the hospital they asked how it happened, I told them, they billed w/c, w/c paid it. If they hadn't I would have turned it into my health insurance for payment.
So did you ever discover why that happened??? or was it just a freak accident?? Bones OK otherwise? (yes, off topic, but curious) You ok otherwise?....

Old 08-14-2009, 04:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,179,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
So did you ever discover why that happened??? or was it just a freak accident?? Bones OK otherwise? (yes, off topic, but curious) You ok otherwise?....
I'm fine. My regular internist had me get a bone density scan, and my daily calcium must be working, because the bones are fine. It was just a freak thing. The ortho I went to for a followup a few weeks later said that he had treated a guy who had gotten out of bed one morning and as he stood up he heard a crack in his neck--his C-3 had fractured!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I'm fine. My regular internist had me get a bone density scan, and my daily calcium must be working, because the bones are fine. It was just a freak thing. The ortho I went to for a followup a few weeks later said that he had treated a guy who had gotten out of bed one morning and as he stood up he heard a crack in his neck--his C-3 had fractured!
good to hear! OMG re: the guy with the cervical fracture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment