Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,485 times

Advertisements

Currently my husband lives in Iowa, and I am here in Michigan with no chance of him finding a job back here. And I have no desire to move to Iowa. My husband has 23 years of experience working on boats. Fiberglass repair mostly. He worked in the warranty department at four winns. I have 24 years experience in banking, but currently I work for the county. Love my job. But we want to be together.
We think we would love Maine. As it is similar to Michigan as far as weather and the country. So far I found Maine to be breathtakingly beautiful. Lots of water. So....I am hoping there is someone out there that has some advice or know of any jobs available. Especially for my husband.
This life is hard. I know there are alot of people who live this way also. And have adapted to it. It is really sad you know. But we do what we can to survive.
Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,730,970 times
My advice for sending resumes & cover letters -- use correct grammar. When you send your cover letter, try to check your written English. Example: {correct} ....work wanted for me and my husband. If you turn it around it is still "work wanted for my husband and me." Always remove the second person from your oral conversation or written communication and state/write as if you were speaking of only yourself and then add the 2nd person. Another example using I: I love candy. My husband and I love candy. (Not me & my husband love candy.) It helps to use pronouns like an educated person in your job search.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM

18,746 posts, read 33,484,310 times
Yes, Maine is certainly beautiful. But it's always been a tough place for jobs, and more so in current economic times. The only real city is Portland (and its suburbs, sort of an offshoot of Boston). There's also Waterville (inland) and Augusta (inland) and Bangor (inland). Cost of living relative to wages is high if one in fact can find wages, certainly higher along the coast. Everyone wants the water, it seems!
Best wishes in your efforts.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 AM

10,837 posts, read 14,968,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanku View Post
My husband has 23 years of experience working on boats. Fiberglass repair mostly. He worked in the warranty department at four winns.
Start his own business.

This is a perfect business opportunity for you it is relatively low tech but requires skills that not everyone has.

Countless, successful businesses have started from desperate situations such as yours.

With August half over now is not the time to move but spend time between now and April researching the opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment