Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,220,904 times

Advertisements

So, I don't feel good this morning. I woke up with a lump in my throat and I feel a bit feverish. I think it's the weather. We've been having really nice warm days, followed by really cold days. My body tends to get wacky with such drastic changes. Any way, I called in and said I would be late, but I feel too guilty to take the whole day. Is this silly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,127,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
So, I don't feel good this morning. I woke up with a lump in my throat and I feel a bit feverish. I think it's the weather. We've been having really nice warm days, followed by really cold days. My body tends to get wacky with such drastic changes. Any way, I called in and said I would be late, but I feel too guilty to take the whole day. Is this silly?
I, personally, hate coworkers who come in sick. Please don't "share" your germs.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,949,903 times
Yes. Very silly. Better to stay home sick than to go to work, get someone else sick and then have everyone hate you for getting someone else sick.

I once had an employee of mine show up with pink eye. I almost lost my mind wondering why someone would show up with pink eye....to a job where you interact with co-workers and employees constantly. STAY HOME!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,794,038 times
STAY HOME Wouldn't you prefer your coworkers do the same?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I, personally, hate coworkers who come in sick. Please don't "share" your germs.
Yes, I agree that's the wrong thing to do. I don't like it when people come in sick. I'm trying to determine if I have any germs that can be passed along. Hmmm, maybe I'm developing allergies. There is a lot of pollen in the air right now, so my symptoms could be due to that. And is that enough reason to call in? I'm such a worry wart.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,949,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yes, I agree that's the wrong thing to do. I don't like it when people come in sick. I'm trying to determine if I have any germs that can be passed along. Hmmm, maybe I'm developing allergies. There is a lot of pollen in the air right now, so my symptoms could be due to that. And is that enough reason to call in? I'm such a worry wart.
There are these people.....I am trying to think.....that can tell what you may have........umm...what are they called again........train conductors? No......oh wait, flight attendants.....nah that's not it. Oh oh.......I got it....doctors. Yeah that's the ticket. Someone who went to school to determine if you are contagious or not. Yeah one of them.

Seriously...if you are that worried I say go see the doctor. Make sure you are not sick.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
There are these people.....I am trying to think.....that can tell what you may have........umm...what are they called again........train conductors? No......oh wait, flight attendants.....nah that's not it. Oh oh.......I got it....doctors. Yeah that's the ticket. Someone who went to school to determine if you are contagious or not. Yeah one of them.
LOL!! That was cute.

Quote:
Seriously...if you are that worried I say go see the doctor. Make sure you are not sick.
Yea, I guess I could do that, although I'm more inclined to wait on that as well. Ohhh, I started a complaining thread.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 AM

Ah hah! I went to my graduation on Saturday. I bet I picked something up.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,299,292 times
I feel guilty calling in sick every time. I don't do it very often, but whether I am just not feeling too good, faking it (everyone does once or twice!), or truly throwing up everywhere, I still feel guilty and hate calling in. Plus, when I really am sick and I call in I always get the feeling like they think I might be faking it, when I am not. It is just a nervous thing to do, but what are you going to do.. go into work sick as a dog?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I feel guilty calling in sick every time. I don't do it very often, but whether I am just not feeling too good, faking it (everyone does once or twice!), or truly throwing up everywhere, I still feel guilty and hate calling in. Plus, when I really am sick and I call in I always get the feeling like they think I might be faking it, when I am not. It is just a nervous thing to do, but what are you going to do.. go into work sick as a dog?
I rarely call in as well, usually once a year. I'm not worrying about my boss thinking I'm faking or anything, but just my absence. I took off two days the week before last (planned vacation) and have taken several days since the beginning of the year. So, I feel like it looks like I take off more than others. We get 4 weeks plus holidays. Most of my colleagues will take off for a 1, 2, or 3 weeks at a time. I break it up and usually don't take entire weeks off. I prefer having shorter work weeks often rather than long vacations. A lot of them are from other countries, so when they go home to visit, they need that kind of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment