Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:21 PM

9,802 posts, read 16,292,994 times

Advertisements

I am recently retired.

The places I worked at, the only " good "attendance record was perfect attendance.

The last place put such a premium on perfect attendance that your wage increase was tied directly to your attendance.

The boss used to say, " you can be the best worker and most valuable employee, but if you aren't at work you are no asset .

(that was a printing place with about 600 employees )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,602,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't think someone should call out no more than 2 times a year. Three at the most but they have to be spread out like once in February, once in June, and once in November

Well, when you have kids, it doesn't always work out that way.
You're not allowed to send them to school or daycare if they're sick. The school will just call you and tell you to come get them.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:03 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,764,291 times
If you're sick, you call in. If it's a Monday in November and you're sick, you call in.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:44 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,300,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't think someone should call out no more than 2 times a year. Three at the most but they have to be spread out like once in February, once in June, and once in November
I called in once last year. I saw my boss in the hall today and she asked how I was. I told her to stay away. I tried to stay away from everyone, though a few commented on the swine flu lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I am recently retired.

The places I worked at, the only " good "attendance record was perfect attendance.

The last place put such a premium on perfect attendance that your wage increase was tied directly to your attendance.

The boss used to say, " you can be the best worker and most valuable employee, but if you aren't at work you are no asset .

I would hate to work under those conditions. Speaking of which, a friend was just fired yesterday. She was written up three times and fired on the last. Two for being late! and one for leaving an organ part behind in the OR. Two tardies, one mistake and fired after 5 years. That's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
If you're sick, you call in. If it's a Monday in November and you're sick, you call in.
It was Monday but not November (obviously).

Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM

45,970 posts, read 61,437,303 times
If you're sick, take the day off. Don't spread the illness to others. You may have sick days, I've had jobs where I didn't. I now have just under 300 sick days accumulated. Had to take 2 just last week, youngest son broke his hand so one day was spent at the orthopedist and the other one when he was in surgery for it.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,855,041 times
The only way I miss work is if I am too sick to get there...which usually means I twisted my ankle, or the time I wrenched my back trying to change a tire. I can't work like that, so I'd call in. Then feel bad because that makes everyone else's job harder. They have to pull my weight when I'm gone, and I'm the one the boss usually looks to to pull other people's weight.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 AM

467 posts, read 988,679 times
if your faking being sick, then I'd say yes, cuz its lying, but you're honestly sick, so no.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Well, when you have kids, it doesn't always work out that way.
You're not allowed to send them to school or daycare if they're sick. The school will just call you and tell you to come get them.
Yep, single folks never think of that

Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I am recently retired.

Your not much of an asset if your coughing your lungs out and your work isn't up to standard, either.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM

8,994 posts, read 14,843,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
Yep, single folks never think of that

No Kidding! - Raleigh, NC Chapter

Is It Fair to Cater Solely to Employees With Kids? - ABC News

And it's not just single people who don't have kids. There are lots of child free couples.

Plus I guess you've never heard of single parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment