Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:01 PM

52 posts, read 178,543 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone in the industry can answer this for me. I currently work full-time at a large company. Been there for almost four years. I've had great reviews and am known as a hard-working contributing member to my team.

At the end of the year, my family had our lives turned upside down when we were victims of a home invasion. We were robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the night and it has scarred us. I went on leave from work(attempted to go back a couple of times, but it was too soon). My daughter and I have nightmares frequently and it doesn't help that they never caught the people who did this.

Where does this turn into a work issue? OK, so we no longer feel safe in our current area and decided to relocate to another state. I put together a well written proposal to telecommute my job functions and actually increase my job responsibilities so I can keep my job and feel safe at the same time. They denied my request, which I understand and will deal with. At least I tried to keep my job.

My husband went to the other state and found employment and we are moving with him so I will have to quit my job.

Under these circumstances, will I be eligible for unemployment until I find a job in my new location? Would an employer actually dispute a claim like this?

Any feedback and comments are much appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:10 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,139,731 times
Well, I remember you posted this a couple months ago. I am glad to hear that you took our advice and your husband went in advance to find a job!

Regarding unemployment, Yes it is possible, BUT you will have to go onto your state's website, to confirm. The answer should be there.

There are a couple of people on here who said that they got U.C. because they had to move for their husbands job and got U.C.

But remember even in the same exact situation, they can rule differently. Especially, in your situation, where the employer has lots of information of you trying to quit your job.

Also, it might depend on whether your husband is making more or less money than you are right now.

If I remember correctly, you make more than your husband.

But to me you are desperate, and should go for it, even if you have to live on your husband's income for the first 8 months!

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan1129 View Post
I'm hoping someone in the industry can answer this for me. I currently work full-time at a large company. Been there for almost four years. I've had great reviews and am known as a hard-working contributing member to my team.

At the end of the year, my family had our lives turned upside down when we were victims of a home invasion. We were robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the night and it has scarred us. I went on leave from work(attempted to go back a couple of times, but it was too soon). My daughter and I have nightmares frequently and it doesn't help that they never caught the people who did this.

Where does this turn into a work issue? OK, so we no longer feel safe in our current area and decided to relocate to another state. I put together a well written proposal to telecommute my job functions and actually increase my job responsibilities so I can keep my job and feel safe at the same time. They denied my request, which I understand and will deal with. At least I tried to keep my job.

My husband went to the other state and found employment and we are moving with him so I will have to quit my job.

Under these circumstances, will I be eligible for unemployment until I find a job in my new location? Would an employer actually dispute a claim like this?

Any feedback and comments are much appreciated...

Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,232,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan1129 View Post
I will have to quit my job.
I believe in all states, unless you can PROVE that your employer was causing an unfit work environment and you quit to avoid that environment, if you quit voluntarily you have no chance to collect.

Unemployment is for non-voluntary separation, not when you elect to quit. Living in an unsafe neighborhood doesn't qualify as a good reason.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:15 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,139,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I believe in all states, unless you can PROVE that your employer was causing an unfit work environment and you quit to avoid that environment, if you quit voluntarily you have no chance to collect.

Unemployment is for non-voluntary separation, not when you elect to quit. Living in an unsafe neighborhood doesn't qualify as a good reason.

To clarify, her reason for moving is safety and lack of former safety. But what she will tell U.C. is that she is moving DUE to her husband finding a job in another state.

This she can do!!

The only caveat is that i speculate there may be some contention with her employoers, since they know most of her story and her aim to quit her job. Because the employers "know' so much, it will be harder to convince U.C. she is moving due to her husband getting an out of state job.

but maybe she will be lucky. I dont' know!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:15 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,855,205 times
Your job has no relation to your home invasion, unfortunately, therefore, quitting your current job isn't going to make you eligible. Had you quit at the time of the incident, gotten medical leave then, maybe, but now, I don't think so. It still won't hurt to apply. They can't do anything but say no. Or the company you use to work for may not respond. Whatever reason you put down on your request for benefits will be the first cause of action, how they respond, and if they do, thats the question.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:47 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,232,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
But what she will tell U.C. is that she is moving DUE to her husband finding a job in another state.
I don't know what state you're referencing, but that is not the law in most states. If you leave your job voluntarily, except under very specific reasons due to the employer breaking the law, you cannot claim benefits. Your husband moving isn't sufficient in most states. Maybe in yours it is...don't know, but I doubt it strongly.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 AM

52 posts, read 178,543 times
For the record, I did go on medical leave. I came back to work only recently and hubby decided he couldn't take it here and headed out. I'm not looking for a free ride, our company is really slow and I'm probably saving someones job in my dept (the only dept in the company that made it through two cuts) I could wait and let the heads roll, but why make someone else lose their job when I now know I won't be here much longer.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 AM

9,027 posts, read 20,450,994 times
Wife and I quit our jobs in Colorado due to our fear of falling in winter weather there. I had already fallen in snow/ice that required a surgery. Wife also has asthma and a doctor in Colorado told her that Colorado/Denver area might not be the best place for her to live. So, we moved to North Carolina, but Colorado Unemployment deemed that we DID NOT have a good enough reason to quit our jobs and move. Unfortunately, we only stated on our Resigning Statement that we MOVING out of the state, not the health issues. Although, I had told my supervisor that I had to move due to the winters.
My wife even contacted the doctor in Colorado that told her about her asthma vs Colorado, but he wouldn't write a statement saying that he told her that she probably shouldn't be living in Colorado.
Bottom line was, even though we both done a couple of Appeals, we still didn't get Benefits!
Depending on the State, it can be rough to collect if a person quits there job!!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,179,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Not true. When I left my job in upstate NY and moved with my husband because he got a job in NJ, I was able to claim benefits.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:41 AM

91 posts, read 528,784 times
So sorry this has happened to you and your family.
All you can do is apply for UE Benefits and hope for the best.It doesn't sound like you qualify to me but maybe if there's extenuating circumstances you might be approved.
I wouldn't count on it though.
Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment