Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:56 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
My husband is applying for a job where the insurance is expensive and has a 10,000 deductible per family, per year. Needless to say that if he gets that job we will still look for insurance elsewhere.

I don't understand policies like this, if we had that kind of money we wouldn't have to worry.
Wow, that is the highest deductable I ever heard of. I hope that policy is really really cheap. Im certian you will not find cheaper on the open market then an employer sponsered one. Maybe just maybe his employer has options where you can pay extra for a lower deductble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:44 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
How 'bout we stay on topic, stop turning every thread into a political statement and provide the OP with some assistance on costs of health insurance, shall we?
If the OP had universal health care, this would not be an issue. People often ask to to pay for it. I advised how.

There HAVE BEEN suggestions as to how to procure insurance. One has to check around.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wow, that is the highest deductable I ever heard of. I hope that policy is really really cheap. Im certian you will not find cheaper on the open market then an employer sponsered one. Maybe just maybe his employer has options where you can pay extra for a lower deductble.
I agree with you about employer sponsored insurance, but in this case, still good to check around. If a person is healthy, private insurance is not a bad way to go. I second that e-insurance site.

For myself, I am uninsurable at any price, so a 10K plan looks like a good deal. In fact, I paid $462 a month for the privilege of a $10K plan

We really need universal health care, and I will be spending time and energy in the pursuit of this in the next year along with others who think this insane health care system has got to go.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
If the OP had universal health care, this would not be an issue. People often ask to to pay for it. I advised how.

There HAVE BEEN suggestions as to how to procure insurance. One has to check around.
Wouldn't we all want it affordable! The thing is we don't have universal HC, or anything similar just yet. And if and when it comes, I doubt that it will be cheaper than what I'm currently paying for. Until then, everyone has to bite the bullet on it. eHealthinsurance is the most reliable source for individual coverage.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,865 times
I would try [url=http://www.floridahealthinsuranceweb.com]☼ Florida Health Insurance | Florida Group Health Insurance | Medical Insurance (Consulting)[/url]. The thing they have that EHealth does not have is round the clock customer service.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Wouldn't we all want it affordable! The thing is we don't have universal HC, or anything similar just yet. And if and when it comes, I doubt that it will be cheaper than what I'm currently paying for. Until then, everyone has to bite the bullet on it. eHealthinsurance is the most reliable source for individual coverage.
Good to know that einsurance is the best. I will remember that when and if I find myself looking and I hope the OP finds it useful.

I still plan to join the movement for Universal Health Care, as we are the only industrialized nation without it. We the people can change things.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 AM

81 posts, read 341,855 times
I never understood COBRA....why would anyone want to pay as much as they ask for when you just lose a job?? Maybe if you have an on going illness that the previous insurance was covering?? You can find cheaper insurance through a broker or by looking on sites like einsurance.com. Beofre I started my job we were buying it privately thru BCBS and paying a little less than 300.00/mo for the family but this was with a high deductable (10,000 as well)....but it was better than nothing and included the pharmacy benefit.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:47 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabunz View Post
I never understood COBRA....why would anyone want to pay as much as they ask for when you just lose a job?? Maybe if you have an on going illness that the previous insurance was covering?? You can find cheaper insurance through a broker or by looking on sites like einsurance.com. Beofre I started my job we were buying it privately thru BCBS and paying a little less than 300.00/mo for the family but this was with a high deductable (10,000 as well)....but it was better than nothing and included the pharmacy benefit.
COBRA is a hold-over. Sometimes, people are let go from a job with little or no notice. It covers those with pre-ex, and gives you time to secure less expensive coverage. It also protects you from not being covered for pre-ex if you don't lapse this coverage. It takes about 2 weeks or more to fully underwrite a private policy and you don't want to lapse your coverage for a day if you can help it. Just one's luck, you get into a catastrophic situation on the day it lapses!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
My insurance plan is to not get sick.

When I left my last employer to move to Maine they offered me COBRA. I would have paid around $260 a month for it, but I couldn't even afford that so I turned it down (the employer paid the insurance in full as part of a raise package that I received). The employer before that offered me COBRA at just over $200 a month but since I was only paying $100 a month for it through work it seemed too much. To my knowledge in both cases the COBRA was an extension of my existing plan(s). And both were good plans.

I was going to get MaineCare or Dirigo or what ever it is called now but the program is having some serious funding issues even though this is health insurance that the members pay for (not the free state insurance type). The program was looking into ways to fund, and decided on a beverage tax. Well, the very wise, poor and highly uninsured Mainers decided to vote against it because apparently raising the price of a can of coke by two cents is too much and hey, it all adds up So, without the funding Dirigo is not taking on new members.

My college has a mandatory health insurance policy. If you do not have your own you have to get theirs. The costs is rolled into tuition and let me tell you, to say that it is a joke would actually be doing it justice. It sucks that bad, but hey, it makes me one of the insured.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:54 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
I just don't understand because Cobra started out for us over $800.00 a month to $1900.00. We only paid $25.00 a week (for family), how can it be that much? I know that the company couldn't of been paying that much towards it. Let's say they are picking up the other $700.00+, there is no way that they can stay in business paying that for every employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment