Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM

535 posts, read 1,742,846 times

Advertisements

My first official IT job was like that. For 2 years I worked solo. I was busy, put in some long hours but everything functioned. Then they hired someone to help sort of. Guy made a little more than me but did the database work and he had a few more years in. After a while I got sick of working there and left only to find out that the guy had been making 10k more than me the entire time. My new job was with another state agency, but in a different group so I wouldn't have to work with them anymore.

After I leave I get a phone call - everything is locked out, no one can logon. The director calls asking me what I've done. I ask him why he's calling. Then I hear the blame game..."he took the network down". Nice. I call my new boss, who reads them the riot act. Turns out that the guy who I worked with reenabled my account (I had it disabled by someone higher up) and was tinkering around when he screwed up.

Later they repost my job, he doesn't get it. He sues and has the nuts to name me as a witness. I laugh, told him no way. Next I hear I'm named in the suit. His lawyer named everyone who had a hand in his not getting the new position. That blackballed him, now he's stuck in an 8x8 room between the bathrooms.

To make matters worse some important information, which was on the server, was lost. All of it, an entire directory of stuff that took me 6 months to complete. I had copies of it on 3 CDs and 3 printed versions - all gone. That was blamed on me too but they had no idea that the server logged deletions.

With that I told the person above me to let them know that they were never to contact me again. They tried once after a critical piece of equipment failed but I laughed and hung up the phone. That little bit cost them 32k but could have been fixed in 15 minutes.

Now I work for others but I work for myself more. No one is looking out for your best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:50 PM

240 posts, read 586,845 times
If you want to read stories about what people go through on their jobs and how they rate their jobs go to jobvent.com. Anyone who doesn't like their job should read the stories here. The last two full time jobs I was fired the day before probation was up. A school and a factory, 9 and 6 months probation and both places came up with totally false accusations but unemployment is paid by the employer so no unemployment because I couldn't prove a thing. On the school job I paid union dues but I had no protection until after probation. At the school I was accused of all sorts of thefts and attempting to break into a file cabinet in a locked office that wasn't broken into and I had never had a key to and wasn't even in my area. I appealed it to UIC and the school had to admit they a no evidence that anything was missing because of me so they changed the story to I forgot to put a roll of toilet paper in one time. This amounted to "fired for cause" so I got no unemployment. The last job was even crazier but that's enough. I'm unemployed but still just got my notice of "no unemplyment" today. I worked for Best Buy full time through a Temp organization for over a year and that never counted as employment either.

Last edited by 13levine; 12-19-2008 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: correct wording

Old 12-22-2008, 02:01 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,376,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think you have been doing something wrong if you haven't been unfairly and bitchily screwed out of at least one job as an RN. It's best to get it over with early in your "career" so as not to have any illusions about the nature of the beast.
I think, instead of some pin or something when you get your RN, they should just give a card with a good lawyer's name.
When I used to Candy stripe, I was shocked to hear how a lot of the DRS talked to the nurses, and the nurses did all of the work and caught a ton of mistakes that the Drs made.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:07 PM

359 posts, read 1,198,121 times
I have worked for a family owned and operated company. And man, if you are not related to the owner in anyway, everyone treats you like s@$%. I have been framed by these losers all of the time. If there is one thing I have learned is this:

If you are NOT related to the owner;

NEVER WORK FOR A FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 12:10 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
IMHO many times but i am pretty quick--- with age and experience my ability to dodge and duck just keeps getting better. may i recommend labor unions as a superior ally rather than resentment.
resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other guy to die.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:14 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,796,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
I have worked for a family owned and operated company. And man, if you are not related to the owner in anyway, everyone treats you like s@$%. I have been framed by these losers all of the time. If there is one thing I have learned is this:

If you are NOT related to the owner;

NEVER WORK FOR A FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that!

I worked in the medical field. The family patriarch was the boss, daughter did billing, and son was one of the grunts like me.

The job required medical licensing and I had more endorsements on my license than sonny boy did, even though this higher level wasn't required for the job I was hired for. In other words, I was underemployed for my qualifications.

I was part time call-as-needed-and suddenly about two weeks go by without getting called. This was VERY unusual and I call my supervisor. Turns out my name had been pulled from the employee list (the Rolodex for those that remember). My supervisor, whom I liked, dug around and found out what happened.

A few weeks prior to this sonny boy and I were helping others with a patient. The person in charge asked me do to a procedure that I was able to do legally but sonny boy wasn't because of my licensing status. It was unusual but all legal and ethical and really was no big deal. Apparently sonny boy was jealous and went running to daddy. Poof-my name was off the call list. No one said anything to me.

When my supervisor was telling me all this he referred to sonny boy as "a little snot". I didn't last long after all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment