Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:51 PM

877 posts, read 2,014,619 times

Advertisements

I just finished my junior year of college and i know this summer is the most "pivotal" one where we all should already be getting internships and taking our career goals more seriously.

I just finished a 5-month internship at a magazine. I'm a journalism major in NYC. This semester has been overwhelmingly busy, it may have cost me some internships, not being able to search regularly and applying until school ended. Anyway, since school ended 3 weeks ago, I have been applying for dozens of internships for a month now and I have only gotten one response out of all the employers. I feel so discouraged. I usually get a few responses back to set up interviews and such but holy cow, it has been a letdown so far. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've been building my resume and I've worked hard on changing every cover letter so they don't sound all generic. There was one internship I did last fall for 3 weeks and I got fired for a mistake, so I'm kind of afraid about the whole "word getting out."

I'm thinking about doing some volunteer work but I honestly just want to do something related to my major instead and it's killing me how even these start-up companies are ignoring me. I've tried writing follow-up emails to some of these employers after 2 weeks and I think I'm ready to make calls to follow up instead. Does anyone recommend this? I don't want to come off as pushy, annoying and desperate, even though I am but it's kind of like the last summer for me before I graduate! Anyone have any tips on how to follow-up? I really do not want to be stuck at home for the summer again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 05:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,019,801 times
Why not just go get a job? A summer job? I would think most summer internships are set by now... And in the meantime during the summer look for work for the next school year...

Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Why not just go get a job? A summer job? I would think most summer internships are set by now... And in the meantime during the summer look for work for the next school year...
^^^ THIS ^^^ (sorry, beera, can't rep you again.)

A great resume is well rounded. It shows education, unpaid work in your field, AND actual work experience. You may think that a minimium wage job at the movie theater means nothing, but it does. It shows that you are willing to work. Many internships do not show that.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:48 PM

486 posts, read 833,219 times
Never too late, I've had a number of companies call in June to interview for internships since they where way too picking on finding people.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
I just finished my junior year of college and i know this summer is the most "pivotal" one where we all should already be getting internships and taking our career goals more seriously.

I just finished a 5-month internship at a magazine. I'm a journalism major in NYC. This semester has been overwhelmingly busy, it may have cost me some internships, not being able to search regularly and applying until school ended. Anyway, since school ended 3 weeks ago, I have been applying for dozens of internships for a month now and I have only gotten one response out of all the employers. I feel so discouraged. I usually get a few responses back to set up interviews and such but holy cow, it has been a letdown so far. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've been building my resume and I've worked hard on changing every cover letter so they don't sound all generic. There was one internship I did last fall for 3 weeks and I got fired for a mistake, so I'm kind of afraid about the whole "word getting out."

I'm thinking about doing some volunteer work but I honestly just want to do something related to my major instead and it's killing me how even these start-up companies are ignoring me. I've tried writing follow-up emails to some of these employers after 2 weeks and I think I'm ready to make calls to follow up instead. Does anyone recommend this? I don't want to come off as pushy, annoying and desperate, even though I am but it's kind of like the last summer for me before I graduate! Anyone have any tips on how to follow-up? I really do not want to be stuck at home for the summer again!
I would only e-mail if you do not have a phone number available. Phone calls are much better to contact employers.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 AM

706 posts, read 1,043,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I agree. Why continue to work for free?? Try to find a job that relates to your major in some shape or form.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:30 PM

877 posts, read 2,014,619 times
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have worked last summer and did my first retail last Spring and the whole reason I didn't really want to get into retail/food service/that area was because of management. I know it's kind of a snobby thing to say/think but both of my jobs last year were full of drama because how management treated me and how terrible my co-workers were to me, respectively. I know it's not like this everywhere but I have that scarcity because the first job, I was mistreated and fired.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,019,801 times
Unfortunately that does happen, but you can't let that discourage you. I hate to say it but if you were around people who had nothing more than a high school education they were probably jealous of you and wanted to make you miserable. I have had that happen to me before, but usually I just brush it off.

I suggest not telling the people where your working at about school if they are not students as well.

Also, that isn't the norm, I've had many jobs in my life since I was a teen, and only had a bad experience in like two instances. So don't let one bad job discourage, just be friendly and do your best, at worst, it's a summer job and means nothing in the long run! Any job I had before college isn't even listed when I do applications and what not.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,133,356 times
Quote:

I have worked last summer and did my first retail last Spring and the whole reason I didn't really want to get into retail/food service/that area was because of management. I know it's kind of a snobby thing to say/think but both of my jobs last year were full of drama because how management treated me and how terrible my co-workers were to me, respectively. I know it's not like this everywhere but I have that scarcity because the first job, I was mistreated and fired.
Get a real job. That's not a valid reason. Retail makes up on a fraction of the jobs in business. Go work in a different sector.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,133,356 times
Quote:

Get a real job. That's not a valid reason. Most jobs are outside of retail. Retail makes up only a fraction of the jobs in business. Go work in a different sector.

It's too late for an internship. Check the job sites for contract or temporary assignments for summer projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment