Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,727,765 times

Advertisements

I'm having the worst day at work and it is not getting better. I feel like walking out. I try to tell myself that I have a good job and am lucky to have it. It pays well and is comfortable. But there are things going on at work that make me want to quit!

How do you change the bad day, turn things around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:43 AM

973 posts, read 3,307,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I'm having the worst day at work and it is not getting better. I feel like walking out. I try to tell myself that I have a good job and am lucky to have it. It pays well and is comfortable. But there are things going on at work that make me want to quit!

Try to keep it all in perspective. The grass is usually not any greener elsewhere. Recognize that it is a bad day and not every day will suck like this one does. We all have them. Times are tough right now so be thankful you're working.

If your job is really that bad, brush up your resume and start looking elsewhere. It's much easier to look for a job when you already have one than to be scrambling around, desperate to get a job because you need one to keep a roof over your head. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:48 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,062,982 times
Yes, what gizmobizmo said. Breathe! It's only a season in your life, anyway!

It will get better, it always does.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:50 AM

It's not that I'm feeling the grass is greener elsewhere, it's more of a feeling of despair, trappedness. Like I said, I do realize that I'm lucky to be where I am. So it's not that my job is bad, just that I'm having a really hard time.

I had a small spat with my DH this morning that had me feeling already down. Then I get to work and get a witchy email from someone (in another satellite office) who's made it apparent she's not going to lift her finger. In my group, it's all about the team blah blah blah, but that team is really just me. THEN, I realize I made a mistake with one of bosses tasks, and it'll cost her $50. Which isn't bad, but would have costed her nothing had I not screwed up. I offered to make up the difference personally. She was nice about it and said she'd think about it. But it just made me feel bad that I made the mistake -- and it was a dumb one.

See what I mean about bad day? I'm really feeling down.

oh and did I mention it's evaluation time? That has me stressed, I'm in a big corp. where there are a few people losing their jobs. Not because of economy so much, but they are the weaker link and so are being let go. Has me nervous.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:04 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,062,982 times
We all make mistakes. You just need a hug! (((((wanttomoveeast))))) that was a group hug

It will all be OK--even if the worst case scenario happens. Don't spend your day worrying about it--it's only going to make things worse. I know it sounds so easy, and I'm not being flip--but this too shall pass.

Can you talk to your DH? It always makes me feel better to hear his voice, even though we've been spatting. He's like my basset--he's always gonna love me, no matter what--even when I'm ******y and I have bad breath. Call him! (not my husband! Yours! )

Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks Sapphire. I suppose the economy thing is really bothering me. We have balances on our cc's, and while they aren't huge, they are bothersome to me. I want them paid off NOW and that really isn't feasible. And really, it's not my job's fault, but it's just very unrewarding and I've been contemplating a career switch for awhile. Although NOW's not the time!!

My DH is extremely busy at work and that's why I haven't called him. Maybe I'll send him a quick email. That's how isolated our society has become, I email my DH.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM

272 posts, read 621,439 times
This is probably the time to consider moving on. I don't think any job is worth much if we're not happy with it. The money and benefits might be good, but happiness is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post

Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,042,462 times
I've had a really bad day. My ex manager, as usual, has run his mouth off again. I'm actually screaming and yelling at my family. This is gone too far. I was a nice person, who gave advice and done the usual civil stuff, but now I'm worse then Bin Laden. I mean that he isn't visible, but I am. In so many words: YOU WOULDN'T WANT ME AROUND.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Ron: A few months back I would have agreed with you, but given where we are now, no way am I leaving. A lot of it has to do with the field I'm in. If I left, I'd pretty much be in the same spot. It's hard to explain because I can't really give the details, so I hope you know what I mean.

And unfortunately money is important to me now, because we have to pay off our cc's and it needs to be soon. So on with the rat race...

It really is just a bad day for me, a lot of you are right, it'll pass. It's just hard to think of it passing when it's happening.

p.s. - I emailed my DH and while he's busy, he made the time to call me and tell me that he loves me and we can talk more tonight. I really am lucky.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,712,586 times
Well, you see your day is getting better already! A good friend just lost her husband suddenly...when I lost my father and mother, it put all into perspective. Take care of your family and marriage first and foremost, the other stuff will all fall where it belongs. Give your husband a nice big hug when you see him! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment