Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,727,306 times

Advertisements

therewego, there we go! I'm so sorry for your friend's loss, I just cannot imagine going on with my life. Although intellectually I know life goes on, the thought of that happening to me would just be devastating. I'm sorry for your loss too.

I do try to keep these things in mind, that every day I get with my DH and family is important as it might be my last.

I can't wait to see my husband tonight to give him the hug he deserves. Thanks for your kind words (everyone)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:30 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,087,868 times
Most things get better in 24 hours.

Give yourself time to have a bad day then move on.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:11 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,087,878 times
Wow-I'm not the only one having issues at work?

I requested a 4-day break (in November, mind you) to visit my sick father, and my manager sighed and said, "Do you REALLy need time off for that?"

I'm upset and angry enough that I've decided that I'm going to upgrade my resume and start looking for a new job (I currently work at a hotel and am still in school).

Thing is, who knows if it will be any better at the next place? As a previous post stated, the grass is not always greener on the other side. And I live in Michigan, where there's hardly an abundance of jobs. At least this job is full-time, pays above minimum wage, and allows me to study (I work midnights). But I'm simmering, my blood pressure is through the roof, and that's not a good thing...

Any suggestions?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 AM

Well, today's a new day and like everyone said, it's much better.

annika: I've been where you are now. My advice is to first not make any rash decisions. But do update your resume and do put feelers out there. It doesn't hurt. Just be sure to keep your job. You obviously work for an a-hole, but keep the job. These are not the best times in the world to switch jobs. But if you start looking on the side, it'll give you some confidence and will help prepare you for interviews and a switch. Plus, if you do find something, all the better. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,087,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Well, today's a new day and like everyone said, it's much better.

annika: I've been where you are now. My advice is to first not make any rash decisions. But do update your resume and do put feelers out there. It doesn't hurt. Just be sure to keep your job. You obviously work for an a-hole, but keep the job. These are not the best times in the world to switch jobs. But if you start looking on the side, it'll give you some confidence and will help prepare you for interviews and a switch. Plus, if you do find something, all the better. Good luck!
Thank you for the words of encouragement. Much needed and appreciated!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,648,960 times
Wanto, have you tried consolidating the debt on your cards? maybe move it all over to a lower interest card? This is what we did and paid whatever we could afford each month and now I have less than $300 owed and we will be credit card debt free! Trust me, this alone will change your attitude.

The work mess up, just remember you are human and allowed your mess ups just like everyone else. Your boss knows this is bothering you and you will not make this mistake again.
When it comes to your review, here's a little trick I do. I have an email folder marked Accomplishments. Every time I go the extra mile, get recognition, help a coworker out, whatever, I drop it into this email file. Even if it's just a note to myself. That way when review time rolls around, I have specific examples (which bosses LOVE, btw) of just how I am a team player and how valuable I am to the company. As someone who has done reviews on others, I can tell you, if you don't toot your own horn, no one else will! Oh, and you have this list of things you can include on a resume if it comes to that!

Good luck and remember, Only you have the power to change your situation.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Hi siobjuan: Yeah, we've thought about consolidating, but I don't know if you know this --- the rules with cc are changing drastically and quickly. Many cc companyies are now cutting limits, meaning you all of a sudden owe a balance, and they are also raising rates. All of those great low interest cards are quickly disappearing along with our economy. We have good credit though and they aren't maxed out, so I might be able to either get a personal line of credit or move to another 0% interest card.

With my evaluation, I get four of them from each of the four I support. So far, one is glowing. My work first lets us do our own evaluation, which of course is totally golden coming from me. I now have three more to wait on. It just seems ironic. I do well all year, then when evaluations roll around I screw up!! Good idea on the Outlook folder, I'll do that for this upcoming year.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,648,960 times
Great! Sounds like your bad day is over and the rest will just have to fall into place!

Whatever happens, remember there is always the power of positive drinking! lol

Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM

Yep, bad day is over, for the most part. Doesn't mean they won't come again, but at least most of my days aren't like that! I know I'm lucky to be where I am.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,957,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Yep, bad day is over, for the most part. Doesn't mean they won't come again, but at least most of my days aren't like that! I know I'm lucky to be where I am.

I am glad things are looking up for you and yes, I am sure there will be days that bring you down again. You seem to have handled the stress of it all well and that is good!

I quit my job as an Admin. Asst. 2 years ago because of a lot of reasons but part of it was that I was tired of the rat race. Feeling like a pawn in the game of life and making alot of money for someone else. Not feeling the appreciation. I saved a lot of money and paid off cc bills. I was basically debt-free besides my mtg.

But...it has been 2 years and I have not found anything since. Sure there are jobs but why would I go back into something I detested. Most days, I was so depressed being there. The office politics were disgusting. Thankfully, my DH makes good money and we are ok, but I am bored and feel rather useless, you know? I have dabbled in a few things but nothing where I feel that I should be. I applied for classes at the CC, then my DH got transferred to another state so I had to put that on hold.

I will say, even though I haven't found anything and it can be a downer, I do not regret leaving that job with the exception of having a regular paycheck. I still am much happier being out of there.

Your time will come, you are going in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment