Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 07:50 AM

12,785 posts, read 15,005,798 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about to HELP you do your job...NOT to replace you in which you're out of the job.

One of my jobs is education-related and runs according to the academic school year, so this school year, starting next week (Aug 2023), they're implementing it. The AI will help give us these comments to say to students, so we don't have to always type out everything, which sounds great! This kind of job still won't actually replace us anytime soon, so I'm not worried about that now. I'm looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 08:26 AM

12,858 posts, read 9,076,133 times
How will it give the comments? Do you input and it tells you what to say? Or do the kids submit everything electronically and it responds?

And, by the same token, is it now ok if the kids use ChatGPT to provide the papers to turn is so they don't have to do any work?

Old 08-13-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How will it give the comments? Do you input and it tells you what to say? Or do the kids submit everything electronically and it responds?

And, by the same token, is it now ok if the kids use ChatGPT to provide the papers to turn is so they don't have to do any work?

I'm an essay reviewer for anyone in elem through college on all kinds of topics. We just had a training on it & it will seem to give general feedback to various things, which we can use or not.

I never implied it's OK for school kids to start using AI to do their work. We're just having casual, neutral discussion on this topic.

Old 08-13-2023, 11:54 AM

9,415 posts, read 8,388,669 times
We are upgrading to software that uses AI later in the year. The demonstration looked amazing but I think in reality it won't be quite so easy and seamless.

Old 08-13-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm an essay reviewer for anyone in elem through college on all kinds of topics. We just had a training on it & it will seem to give general feedback to various things, which we can use or not.

I never implied it's OK for school kids to start using AI to do their work. We're just having casual, neutral discussion on this topic.
So I take it that means AI will review the submission and provide feedback for you to use.

My second point is, I think, too deep for the Work forum and may better fit in the Education or Philosophy forums because it challenges the very definition of cheating and plagiarism in education.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:48 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,750,913 times
Quote:

So who are you working for? A school district? Are you helping teachers in the grading of their student's essays? Or is this some sort of program that parents pay for to have their student's work reviewed before they turn it in?

Just trying to figure out the purpose of this position.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:37 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,346,269 times
My brother-in-law is a radiologist, and he'll be 55 in October.

Over the last 4-5 years, they (companies) have been "training" AI to read all the types of scans.

They don't have AI read scans where he works, but eventually he believes it will become more and more common.

I know you wanted to talk about HELP and not REPLACE, but he believes that the radiologist as a profession, will eventually go away, or be very drastically different than it is today, basically where the radiologist reviews AI's work, so less radiologists needed!

Old 08-13-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So I take it that means AI will review the submission and provide feedback for you to use.

My second point is, I think, too deep for the Work forum and may better fit in the Education or Philosophy forums because it challenges the very definition of cheating and plagiarism in education.

They'll still need a human mind to review the essays. The AI will just give general comments since we have a rubric of what elements to discuss for every person's paper. Sure, we may be replaced too one day as I'm sure many others in many professions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So who are you working for? A school district? Are you helping teachers in the grading of their student's essays? Or is this some sort of program that parents pay for to have their student's work reviewed before they turn it in?

Just trying to figure out the purpose of this position.

The co. I work for has partnered w/ I don't know how many school districts to help review, NOT grade/score, student papers before they turn them into their teacher. Actually, we're doing more of the teachers' jobs. Many teachers have given us their essay instructions as well & tell their students to, "submit it to us to review before turning it in". Some people may not like that since it's like the teachers are getting like 5-10+ teachers' aides, but it gives thousands of us employment, so that's good for us. (I personally used to be a special ed teacher, so I've been on the other side of it too. Now, I didn't have to assign essays w/ the kind of thing I taught, but sure would have been nice back then to have a co. help us do our jobs back then.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
My brother-in-law is a radiologist, and he'll be 55 in October.

Over the last 4-5 years, they (companies) have been "training" AI to read all the types of scans.

They don't have AI read scans where he works, but eventually he believes it will become more and more common.

I know you wanted to talk about HELP and not REPLACE, but he believes that the radiologist as a profession, will eventually go away, or be very drastically different than it is today, basically where the radiologist reviews AI's work, so less radiologists needed!

Yes, sadly, many of us will actually be replaced completely & who knows what kind of work people will have to ultimately do.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
They'll still need a human mind to review the essays. The AI will just give general comments since we have a rubric of what elements to discuss for every person's paper. Sure, we may be replaced too one day as I'm sure many others in many professions.

The co. I work for has partnered w/ I don't know how many school districts to help review, NOT grade/score, student papers before they turn them into their teacher. Actually, we're doing more of the teachers' jobs. Many teachers have given us their essay instructions as well & tell their students to, "submit it to us to review before turning it in". Some people may not like that since it's like the teachers are getting like 5-10+ teachers' aides, but it gives thousands of us employment, so that's good for us. (I personally used to be a special ed teacher, so I've been on the other side of it too. Now, I didn't have to assign essays w/ the kind of thing I taught, but sure would have been nice back then to have a co. help us do our jobs back then.)

Yes, sadly, many of us will actually be replaced completely & who knows what kind of work people will have to ultimately do.
So the students submit to you and then you provide feedback to the student on how to improve the essay before they turn it in to the teacher? What type of feedback -- spelling and grammar; formatting; content; strength of argument? I think several of us are trying to get a handle on what the job is and what the AI is providing. The radiologist example was pretty clear on what AI was providing.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:58 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
There are some writing prompt functions and general high-level thought starts I might use it for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment