Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 07:36 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,354,282 times

Advertisements

There is no Catch-22 in entry-level service jobs. If you are upright and will show up for work, you will be hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 09:56 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,803,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If the op addresses his social anxiety disability first and in that he goes through a local vocational rehabilitation service, it may be awhile before he is out looking for a job. They will first need to document his disability; then set him up on a job plan. But before that can happen he first needs to get through their door, which at times is not an easy task, because of their case load. Once through the application process, it is a wheel that turns rather slow, but it does turn. Persistence and patience is the key to unlocking that door. It is a wealth of resources, that not too many people know exists within their State. They help those with disabilities lead more productive lives, by placing them with understanding employers.
Or, my suggestion was to go directly to a business/restaurant and apply for a simple entry level job. Sweeping the floor, bagging, dishwashing, whatever. Many of us did those types of jobs in high school to get used to a work ethic. Then we want better jobs.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:12 AM

23,902 posts, read 33,692,683 times
OP hasn't logged in since the 10th, hasn't been here for longer. I doubt he liked the suggestions we gave him to get his a$$ up and apply to Walmart or some other entry level job that's hiring near him. I'll be surprised if he's done that.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:04 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,773,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
OP hasn't logged in since the 10th, hasn't been here for longer. I doubt he liked the suggestions we gave him to get his a$$ up and apply to Walmart or some other entry level job that's hiring near him. I'll be surprised if he's done that.
Or he's actually looking for the job?
Why does he need to be on 24/7 to report?

Old 07-21-2022, 07:20 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,127,984 times
I'm still reading through this but are there not any freelancing type of opportunities? There is so much work available if you can manage your time and develop a little bit of skills in something like social media marketing, writing or editing, coding (tons of variety there), digital arts like photo editing, formatting manuscripts with InDesign...the list could go on forever. You will need to have the dedication to learn the skill and work on your time management skills or else the people/company employing you will let you go in a heartbeat.

I started out doing freelance writing for an agency while I was finishing my bachelor's, meandered around with different agencies and websites and over the years, put myself out there to get one-off jobs, and now I use Fiverr for freelance editing work. All of the jobs I've taken for that kind of work were online with the exception of one local person who found me on LinkedIn a few years ago. My income is just supplemental for my household (started having kids right after finishing my bachelor's) but I'm going back to school again for accounting. Which brings me to bookkeeping, a certificate that is not too expensive and you can do it in just a few months (I did one in 2020 through NACPB). There's a lot like that as well - short training programs you can do like through a correspondence school. Heck, you could even start a business since you have no bills and your parents would probably help you with funds. Since you don't have a family or even rent, and your parents have paid your way for 31 years, you are in a better position than most to take the risk with your time and (someone else's) money.

The first major issue, however, is your mindset - you must find the wherewithal to do this.

Second major issue is actually your parents - not sure what went wrong in the launching stage but it's time to do this for yourself.

Don't you want to find a spouse, have kids, travel, make a difference in someone's life...like, do anything other than just sit and stare mindlessly at a screen all day? I just do not understand how someone would enjoy a life like that. There is so much out there, and I say this as a homeschool mom who has worked online since 2008 and been focused on keeping the home and raising kids (read: my life is mostly lived for others right now). Traveling is not a priority for me, but if I was in my 30s and still single, maybe it would have been. Not to be cliche, but what's your motivation? Find it, use it, and turn your life around.

Old 07-23-2022, 04:37 AM

7,486 posts, read 3,618,272 times
i hired someone who had a similar background as OP to do not so glamorous work. they were upfront about their lack of employment history and anxiety issues. personally having suffered from anxiety, i took sympathy on the person and hired them. at first, everything was great…but as the months went on, the person started unraveling and threatening/scaring other employees. this was no case of anxiety, this was a person with anger issues and mental illness. had to let them go (and for me to fire someone, they really have to try for it). i often think about my former employee, and sincerely hope they find help and fulfillment.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:44 PM

2,627 posts, read 3,162,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
Yea I haven't been a good son. They deserved better
You can turn that around. I knew a few kids growing up that were spoiled brats into adulthood. One of them became his mother's guardian angel when she came down with cancer. He took her places, kept her house and cared for her and his dad.

Keep up Mom & Dad's lawn, help with housework, etc. Consider it your night job in addition to the job you get for pay.

Lee Ermy isn't here to motivate you, so you have to do it yourself.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:28 PM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm still reading through this but are there not any freelancing type of opportunities?
Off topic, but what does your status mean? Did you mean "censured," or just misspell "censored?" And who is Capella?

Just curious!

Old 07-27-2022, 05:48 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,277,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I haven't worked because of social anxiety and partially because of laziness. I'm living with my parents. As far as I see it I can't afford to be honest with future employers or people I meet. The truth is too embarrassing. I may be honest if for some reason I get close to someone. I'll take advice on where do I begin in terms of making money. Also on what do I tell people. I wish things didn't come to this but my choices have led me to where I am today. I wish I didn't had to lie but for now that's my only option.
If you plan on basic low level entry jobs for the rest of your life, you might get by with lying about yourself. I never recommend such a thing however because 1, I don’t believe in lying about anything and 2, your lies WILL catch up with you at some point.

I’ve interviewed my share of potential employees and I can tell you that I insisted on a verifiable employment history. And yes, that history would have been confirmed before you ever came in for the interview. If by chance you managed to get around all that and were scheduled for an interview, I would ask enough questions that eventually you’d be found out.

Best advice? Tell the truth about why you have no work history and be prepared to offer a convincing argument about why all of a sudden you would make a valuable asset to the team.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:19 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,078,669 times
Social anxiety is not really an excuse for not working as there are many remote jobs today. If you are competent playing video games you can do some kind of remote job from home. Stuff like market research, call center jobs from home, consumer complaint calls, etc. Or you can do grocery store stocking on the night shift when you don't have to interact too much with others. Walmart is paying $18 in my area for night stockers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment