Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 11:48 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis32801 View Post
I be honest, if this was in another big city that haven’t lived I might be more excited, just exploring new cities can be fun.
So find a different area in DC to live. For example, Georgetown/ Foggy Bottom where lots of young people around that can improve your social life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 11:48 AM

269 posts, read 181,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Can you get me a job?!?

That's not what I meant.

I meant will the new job be more in line with what you want to do in terms of tasks and responsibilities, regardless of the career field you are in.
Lol, if you in the same career field and wants to work for the feds, I might have connections.

Yes, it be similar to what I’ve been doing, albeit at a more programmatic level. Working at the pentagon you pretty much oversees and help draft policies for the whole DoD.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:51 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Lol, if you in the same career field and wants to work for the feds, I might have connections.

Yes, it be similar to what I’ve been doing, albeit at a more programmatic level. Working at the pentagon you pretty much oversees and help draft policies for the whole DoD.
Make no mistake.

Any issues, no matter how technical they "were", when they come to DC they all become political issues.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Quote:

I've used USAjobs before.

I'm not sure how much you can help me, but I appreciate the offer. Maybe you'll get a PM. Feel free to do what you wish with it.

Good luck!!

Old 06-17-2022, 01:05 PM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
I'd do the calculus between take home pay after having to pay income taxes in DC (which you didn't have to do in Texas) as well as overall cost of living between the two locations. But that wouldn't necessarily be determinative if I was on a upward career track by going to DC, where I could potentially be up for GS-15 in a few years, vice staying in Texas where I might not (not saying that this is inherently the case).

I'd also look into how much it costs to fly to Florida from DC vice San Antonio since this is something that you do monthly. If your father is expected to be here for quite a while longer, this would take on an even greater meaning.

Note, you don't even have to live in DC when factoring in costs. I live in Rockville now, right down the block from the red line for the DC metro and pay less than $1,700 a month to live in a very nice building. Now, even with the metro, that's quite a trip (roughly one hour on the metro each way), but the point is that you can live along the metro and not be exposed to DC proper prices.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:16 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,976 times
You're not required to take a promotion.

Moving to DC will NOT be worth it even with the higher salary. Your salary bump will NOT cover the entire increase in the cost of living, even with the GS bump and the locality increase bump.

So you won't be able to sock away as much money as you are doing now.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:41 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,227,308 times
I think it depends on what you want out of your job and out of your life. I agree that the raise would likely get eaten up by higher COL regardless. But career-wise it'd seem like a good move to me - even if you seek to leave government service eventually, upward mobility always looks good on a CV.

Lifestyle-wise obviously a SFH will be an unlikely (or not very convenient) option in D.C. on that salary but then again that may not be what you want anyway. It also might be easier as a single to meet people to date in D.C. as the area is full of single professionals, which may or may not be of any importance. Lots of things to consider really.

There's tons of flights from DCA to Florida as well, probably more than from San Antonio, and you'd probably live closer to the airport here than there as well, so the trips to your dad in FL probably are actually more manageable from D.C.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:49 PM

5,651 posts, read 6,208,289 times
I'm at the stage in my life where these kinds of trade offs appear easy for me but I have to dial it back and remind myself that you are 10 years younger with more of your career in front of you. For me, personally, I'd stay in San Antonio. It's a great town. no state income tax, lower cost of living, no stress of a cross country move. But I have 4.5 years left before I plan to retire. 15-20 years is different. As others have said, with respect to the money try to game it out as far as how much of an increase it is. My expectation is that it might be a small bump but not as much as it appears on paper once your factor in state taxes, COL, etc. So it comes down, as I see it, to how much the actual promotion and step in the ladder is worth to your personally. And if you want to get up further than you are now, that is something to consider. If you are looking at 20+ more years working and you have those ambitions, that has value.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I am a federal service retiree and I worked up in Washington DC for about a year on a rotational assignment. I lived in Alexandria, VA at the time and the metro rail goes by the Pentagon everyday so I saw many, military/civilian, employees rode on the train to work. I see Officers, upto a Colonel, commute into work by riding the metro rail. Some I knew lived as far as Woodbridge, VA (an hour away) and car-pool commute into work. That's how tough it is.

First, I agree moving the the DC area does not ease your COL situation. Many live further out by Springfield station (blue line) and even further out. They drive into the Springfield station then take a metro rail into Pentagon. I was fortunate in that the Agency paid for my extended TDY housing allowance so I was able to rent an apartment in Alexandria.

But take a broader career view on this move. First, congratulation for being promoted to GS-14. Some worked their entire career and retire at GS-13 and never get promoted to a 14. Two, the promotion plus the increased locality pay all go toward your retirement pension calculation (high 3). So this is a good step toward your remaining career.

Lastly, think of this as a temporary move. But it's a good career stepping stone. In a few years, you maybe looking at another promotion into a lower COL area where you can breath a sigh of relief.

PS - I think a flight from Reagan airport to Florida can be cheaper than from San Antonio, plus you can take the metro rail to the airport. If that's any consolation

EDIT TO ADD: Yes you can get a metro rail card and the Agency will refill the dollar amount every month, or alternatively you can get parking/ gas allowance. But the person who can answer these questions are at the Pentagon, not some HR guys/gals.
Thanks for the input. Yea the high 3 is a consideration. I likely will keep my car this time around. Last time living there i felt so mobile constraint. Planning to get somewhere is an exercise in advance planning.

Yes flights from DC is an advantage, more direct flights, more available flights, and cheaper compared to SA.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I think it depends on what you want out of your job and out of your life. I agree that the raise would likely get eaten up by higher COL regardless. But career-wise it'd seem like a good move to me - even if you seek to leave government service eventually, upward mobility always looks good on a CV.

Lifestyle-wise obviously a SFH will be an unlikely (or not very convenient) option in D.C. on that salary but then again that may not be what you want anyway. It also might be easier as a single to meet people to date in D.C. as the area is full of single professionals, which may or may not be of any importance. Lots of things to consider really.

There's tons of flights from DCA to Florida as well, probably more than from San Antonio, and you'd probably live closer to the airport here than there as well, so the trips to your dad in FL probably are actually more manageable from D.C.
Yes, cannot find any SFH that’s in my price range. Surprisingly tho, Virginia property taxes is more than half less compared to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment