Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 AM

771 posts, read 1,399,309 times

Advertisements

So basically I am looking to break into the world of training and development. I held a temporary position that exactly did that in the past and I volunteer now as a career coach at a local shelter.

Currently though I have been working for an executive search consulting firm. I work for research and I really like it. It looks like any day now a promotion for me to become a recruiter/headhunter might happen. Mind you I have only been here for 4.5 months so I must be doing something right and they really like me.

However, recruiting/headhunting is not really the area I want to get into. Basically I really don't like sales, cold calling or having to be on the phone all day long which the position would require. There is some room that I would do very little interviewing prepping/coaching but I don't believe it would lead to the path I want which is in Training and Development.

Now, our company's president just started doing executive coaching as a service, in which she is the only person that does that. I am leaning towards not accepting the promotion, however, I at least want to give the company an alternative. I was actually thinking countering the promotion with offering to maybe help her develop and help expand the executive coaching services. Be it helping do Business Dev. or research, but to be involved in that line of work.

So would a recruiter/headhunter position provide me a path to T&D? If it does, is working a few years in something one might potentially hate worth it? Is my counter offer of helping expand the executive coaching services a good idea and sound feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 AM

771 posts, read 1,399,309 times
Bump because no one has answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment