Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 05:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
The thing is though, Fresno is growing and gentrifying which means higher prices. People are looking just for this kind of place and it's going to raise prices. I personally would not move to Fresno unless there was a really, really good reason.
Sure. Nearly every place is. My point was simply that it's not the kind of stupid expensive some posters are making it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 05:23 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,941,564 times
And you know what's sad? Sooner or later it will be stupid expensive and it's not that great of an area to live in. The only really nice thing about it is the Sierra Nevadas nearby.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
The OP doesn't say what part of IL he's relocating from, but he did say that Fresno was a small town, comparatively, to where he's currently living/working. Fresno's population is over 500,000, so that only leaves Chicago in IL, which seems to have a higher COL than Fresno. Probably should say this before anyone starts, knowing this forum, but I'm in no way advocating for his partner taking such a substantial pay cut; that's for them to decide.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:13 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Your cost of living is going to double or triple.

Is your salary going to double or triple?

If not, this is not a good move.

You don't know that. What if he's moving from Chicago? Fresno is cheaper COL than Chicago by about 15%.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:23 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,239,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeShmo View Post
How will COL double or triple?
My salary is 40% more but not double
The cost of living in Fresno, CA is double to triple that of IL.

If you're only getting a 40% boost, you're being royally screwed.

The move is not worth it.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:02 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,941,564 times
Make sure to visit Fresno before you move there. You really need to see if you would like it, especially for such a drastic pay cut.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:54 AM

7,393 posts, read 4,179,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeShmo View Post
We are moving across country , my partner will be giving up her job which makes 90k

She is having a hard time finding a similar position where we will be at

She is debating whether she should take a lower paying job ( like 50k) or will that hurt her employment chances in the long term to land a more lucrative one , or should she wait until a job that pays the same ( I.e 90k ) comes along

Thanks
So my husband moved from NYC around the country for a new job (Austin, TX, Boston, MA, Westchester, NY). In the end, we traded off his career success for mine. With each move, there were too many obstacles for me finding a support system, childcare and a flexible job.

What is your girlfriend thinking!!! I wouldn't move halfway across the country, give up a well-paying job, when I wasn't even married! Forget it!!!

Have a long distance relationship. She can look for a job while working back home. If your relationship works out, get married. I know that was snarky, but seriously, why would she damage her career so you can get ahead?

-----------------something to read on the subject.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coupl...b0e9e76050cefb

https://tagsearch.com/insights/artic...career-couple/

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...633-story.html

https://www.askamanager.org/2016/12/...-and-more.html

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs...104-story.html

Last edited by YorktownGal; 06-15-2022 at 10:16 AM..

Old 06-15-2022, 11:28 AM

50,979 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It likely won't. People here are confusing Fresno with the Bay Area and/or OC/LA/San Diego. California is a big state, and there are plenty of places like Fresno with a low COL.

This article is from three years ago, but a lot of it's still relevant. It seems to have risen slightly like everywhere else but is still far lower than the California average.

https://kmph.com/news/local/cost-of-...in-the-country
The gas prices alone could add a lot to expenses, and she’s broad pay cut in this job vs the one she has now.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:06 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,016,790 times
How come everyone here KNOWS exactly that Fresno (in the middle of nowhere and not really a desirable place) is way more expensive than ANYWHERE in IL? Chicago is expensive, no?

Old 06-15-2022, 12:59 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,085,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
How come everyone here KNOWS exactly that Fresno (in the middle of nowhere and not really a desirable place) is way more expensive than ANYWHERE in IL? Chicago is expensive, no?
So many people on these forums think the entire state of California is homogenous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment