Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 01:56 PM
AZ8

111 posts, read 80,686 times

Advertisements

Sounds like your department is nothing but drama. Maybe you and your coworkers are the problem, talking and gossiping all day and being non-productive. Then add a long history of “paper on head” pranks.

Someone else asked this earlier: Are you guys a bunch of teenagers?

Old 05-17-2022, 02:51 PM

9,493 posts, read 5,273,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So, I witnessed something unsettling today. We have a woman who is playful and likes to joke around and I guess she put a piece of paper on a co-worker's head and he turns around and slams his fist on the table and throws books on the floor and gets up and points a finger at her and screams at the top of his lungs "DON"T EVER PUT ANYTHING ON MY HEAD AGAIN YOU F***CING C***T." Me and another woman went over to confront him but then we stopped because he looked terrifying. His eyes were black and bloodshot and popping out of his head. His veins were popping out of his forehead and his face was all red with clenched teeth and palms in a fist. The poor female co-worker sat back on her bench shaken and he rambled on for another minute about too much playing and that people need to grow up and cussing us all out. He then threw his jacket on the floor and stormed out of the area and I guess he went to the bathroom. Then the female co-worker decided she couldn't deal with it so took the rest of the day off. He comes back but nobody bothers him when I think the managers should have told him to go home too since he was hurling a bunch of really nasty insults at the female workers here.

Think I should just give it a day or maybe file an official report because he was really scary. The female co-worker texted me later that she left because she was afraid he would come back with a gun with how tense the world is getting. What should we do? Could she herself be facing a discharge for putting the paper on his head?
Well, technically 'unwanted touching' could qualify as a 'battery,' which is a misdemeanor crime. But he'll probably get in more trouble since he hurled those troubling expletives. Maybe your stupid playful coworker will learn her lesson and let people do their work. Maybe both of them will be fired and the rest of you will also have to get to work instead of engaging in this high school nonsense.
You should report it - sounds like misconduct to me, on both their parts. She's not a victim here.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:56 PM

9,493 posts, read 5,273,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
Sounds like your department is nothing but drama. Maybe you and your coworkers are the problem, talking and gossiping all day and being non-productive. Then add a long history of “paper on head” pranks.

yea, they sound like a bunch of immature jerks. just sayin'!

We had some contractors (at the Fed) who moved our paper around (files). A new hire was screwing around, shooting rubber bands of his fingers (I guess he wasn't busy enough) and he hit one of the sprinkler system mechanisms on the ceiling. You can guess the rest. It set off the sprinkler system, which no one knew how to disable, and literally flooded the workspace and ruined thousands of files. Immigration files. He was fired. He'll never work for the Fed again, guaranteed.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:21 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,271,552 times
Two things here:
1. It’s completely unacceptable behavior to be placing paper or labels on someone’s head. Apparently the perp thought it was a funny thing to do and quickly found out otherwise. Such behavior has no place in the workplace for a whole lot of reasons. Yes, it’s all fun and games until someone......
2. The recipient of the prank was justifiably upset, but had no right to speak in the manner he did. It would seem that the prank was the straw that broke the camels back, meaning he likely was very troubled about something prior to the event.

Bottom line is this: had the person not have invaded the guy’s personal space and put something on his head, this thread would not have been written. When you’re at work, do your job and leave others alone and everybody goes home happy at the end of the day.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:40 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,123,536 times
Anywhere where I've worked ... that's grounds for termination, no matter how much $ you make the company, and no matter how much of a grubby brown noser you've been for X years.

I don't know where you guys work where outbursts like that are tolerated, but it can't be that hard, so let me know if they're accepting resumes..

Old 05-17-2022, 08:37 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,702,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post

I’m not sure what the coworkers have to do with the initial incident which was apparently a UPS worker filing a complaint about the guy because of his behavior. This second incident at least sounds like it was provoked, but it seems like he has already been given at least one warning and nothing happened. I don’t mean to condone the woman provoking him, but his behavior was completely unacceptable.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:29 PM

10,523 posts, read 4,076,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
So would you all react like this if someone put a piece of paper on your head?

Her action was foolish (I guess - I wouldn't do that but I don't think it is a critical life altering incident).

His response is completely and totally unacceptable. PERIOD. Those are the actions of a crazy person. This is not remotely acceptable. I would never again feel comfortable having this person work around me even if I just witnessed the incident.
I've had people put itching powder on me, black ink on the microscopes so I look like a raccoon, put fart machines under my chair and kick me signs on my back at least once a week. I should have been more forthcoming that we are playful at work to keep things light. I never had a problem with it and for the most part it seemed like most people never had problems. If they did, all one had to do was tell us to please stop and we would honor that request.

Either way, there was a meeting. Refrain from the pranks and Mr Temper needs to talk to a therapist because apparently he has had anger issues for some time. He's a good worker, but this is the last time and they are willing to foot the bill for therapy to get him to work his issues out.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:34 PM

10,523 posts, read 4,076,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Was the piece of paper stuck to his hair with sticky paper?
It was a packing slip. She's done it to me sometimes and it's because our work stations are literally clogged with work. She would either put it on my head or on my arm and like I said, never had issues. Either way, the guy apologized for it, but she didn't come into work at all. Says she's going to take the rest of the week off. She just got married to her long time girlfriend so she's going to use the time to take an extended honeymoon.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:36 AM

10,621 posts, read 12,163,295 times
If she knew this guy was how he is -- whether it's strange, not into the pranks, seems to be a more serious type -- come on we all know those types....WHY would she even interact with him like that?

Prank the people who don't mind. And live him alone. Put the slip on his desk!!

"Pranks" at work? Just asking for trouble. And she got more than she asked for.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:31 AM

9,444 posts, read 8,418,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
He's a good worker, but this is the last time and they are willing to foot the bill for therapy to get him to work his issues out.
Sorry but this is ridiculous. There are situations where a warning and/or second chance is warranted, this is not one of those situations. As someone else said, companies are in the business of making money, not being caregiver to their employees helping them to sort out all of their various mental/emotional issues. If you're not mature enough to work in an office setting with other adults, you shouldn't be employed.

Is this is the US, btw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment