Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 03:06 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yes. She was the direct cause of the incident and bears 100% of the blame for this occurring. I also, based on the way you described the instigator, this may have been the proverbial straw. Neither one is without blame, her for being the instigator and him for the over-blown reaction. But, do not for a second think she should wrapped with warm and sympathetic, "poor sole" fuzzies. She should be fired for engaging in an inappropriate physical action on her co-worker that resulted in his counter reaction.

Agree, she was 100% the cause of him losing his temper. He probably got tired of her putting paper on his head, I know I would too. First time she did it to me I would have shut it down. Surprised the OP doesn't realize that most people would not appreciate games like that at work.

At the very least she should get spoken to and/or put on probation.

From what the OP says it sounds like she never thought her prank actions through that someone may actually lash out at her because they don't find it funny? She's lucky she hasn't gotten hit for it. Play stupid games, get stupid prizes...

Old 05-17-2022, 03:46 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
If it's true that "this isn't the first time he blew up at someone" that (to me) makes the woman who put the paper on his head even more at fault.

Whether she's a prankster or not, whether she had done it before or not -- why on earth would she do anything that could set him off? -- if it wasn't the first time he'd "blown up t someone."

The woman lacks sound judgment -- and lapses in judgment can have consequences.
SHE needs a reprimand. For real.

He does also. But she started it. And it's just commons sense to "not poke the bear."

Don't people know by now that most physical contact is not OKin an office environment? THAT can be a fireable offense. But she knows people who are friends with the owner so she will be OK...while he gets punished.

This should go on BOTH their records. She needs an official reprimand. No doubt. Not just a don't do that again, wink, wink. An in-her-file warning.

If HE had been smart he could have gone to management about her, first. But his reaction unfortunately is the focus instead of hers, where it should be.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:26 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
The supervisor is really one of the worst. He's just there to organize projects but when personal problems come around, he hides in his office.
"Personal problems" among adults should be dealt with by those adults involved. Yes, a supervisor/manager needs to step in if something escalates to the point where his/her work environment is affected. But there is a difference between managing a work environment vs. babysitting.

Quote:
I decided to email the owner of the company since I am on good terms with him about the situation. Apparently I learned the other lady who was witnessing let his wife know since those two are good friends. I won't know what to expect till I come in the morning.

And it's what she does. She passes out shipping labels or a spreadsheet by placing it on your arm or head to get your attention. Never been a problem before, and if it was, then he could have told her in a nice voice to please not do that anymore. There was no reason to make a huge scene and scare us like that.
And this may be why that manager doesn't do much, because there doesn't seem to be any 'chain of command'. If you get to go to the owner anytime something happens, your supervisor is essentially powerless. On this flip side - it seems something has already been done - YOU took it to the owner.

Are you 100% positive he's never "addressed" this in the past? As other's have mentioned, he may finally have had enough of the antics. Depending on how you want to look at this, one can argue that your co-worker should have been talked to long ago as well for her unprofessionalism.

Quote:
I doubt she's going to be fired. The other lady that witnessed it is good friends with the wife of the owner of the company and they already talked and the co-worker will be fine. There will be a meeting about no more pranks and that the guy is going to be forced to go to anger management classes because apparently this isn't the first time he blew up at someone. He got nasty with the UPS guy last week and it caused the UPS management to file a complaint against the company. Personally, the guy needs to be fired if he is that much of a risk.
Another reason why your supervisor doesn't do anything. He basically has the title, but zero actual authority. What he should be doing is probably look for a new job.

Just another note - depending on how you want to look at this, and I'm not siding with him or defending him... but there may be something going on in his life. And your owner has decided to help first instead of kicking him to the curb...

Quote:
Most of the time we all get along. Just once in a blue moon he does have his moments. We often brushed it off as maybe he is a bit bipolar or something. I only started this thread trying to get some perception of what I could expect in the morning with the company and if I should file a report or not, but the other lady that witnessed already did and texted me she did. I won't lie though, the other lady never did like this guy and would just avoid him altogether.
So you (and your co-workers) knew he was a problem but continued to put him in antagonizing situations until it became uncomfortable for you. Again, depending on how you look at it... some can argue this may have been a hostile work environment (yes, it's a stretch... but just trying to make a point).

I don't know why YOU are filing any report. While you were indirectly affected, this incident didn't involve you. But regardless - you have already "filed" a report by talking to the owner (since you're on good terms with him).

This is a classic case of "two+ sides to every story".

Old 05-17-2022, 05:44 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
Do you guys take "workplace violence prevention" type of training? This guy sounds like a character in one of our training videos. Except no one put a piece of paper to the person's head. But he would blow up here and there and finally ended up bringing a gun into work. Sometimes there are signs to look for that could cause a person to flip. Financial problems, a divorce, overwhelming issues, etc. This is not a normal reaction even for a prank.

I think anger management was the right choice for this person but I would be watchful and on the lookout for behavior patterns that seem off the wall. There is a lot of this going on today in all kinds of realms and everyone should do due diligence and be watchful for unusual patterns in individuals.

Workplace violence training might be a great idea for your workforce. To not be obvious to the individual, you could do random training of other types as well (security, being diligent on social media, etc). You can google videos on you tube to find one that seems interesting and talk to your management about having a training session. It is as easy as watching together in a conference room and reviewing points to work together on.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:47 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
From what the OP says it sounds like she never thought her prank actions through that someone may actually lash out at her because they don't find it funny? She's lucky she hasn't gotten hit for it. Play stupid games, get stupid prizes...
Because normal people don't "lash out" or "hit".

Old 05-17-2022, 06:01 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Because normal people don't "lash out" or "hit".
To be fair, he didn't just "lash out." It's not like his response was unprovoked, even if some people think it was over-the-top. What I will say is that "normal" people don't touch other people's heads without their consent. This is an office environment, not the elementary school playground.

While I do think that the guy overreacted, I am with Rabbrita and Roselvr on this one, too. I can caution the guy against responding in such a way while also condemning the women for touching the guy's head.

As for reporting, I'd say that if the woman is considering filing a report, she better be careful about what she wises for/hopes to accomplish as any investigation stemming from the filing of the report likely won't have her seen in a positive light.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:12 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
I agree with your first statement (based on my #2 post on this thread). Totally inappropriate for her to do that.

However (and its a big however), that doesn't make it ok to act aggressively to another coworker. Had this happened before, and she continued it, he could have / should have excused himself and addressed with a manager. Had this not happened before, he could have / should have excused himself and addressed with a manager (or simply said - "hey, do you mind not doing that again?")

Throwing things and slamming fists on the table / getting in someone's face is not normal behavior for an adult.*

*unless that is the office culture and there is a locker room of some kind where this kind of thing is tolerated (because I've worked in those environments and they still exist, however if that was the case, this thread wouldn't exist).

Old 05-17-2022, 06:19 AM

984 posts, read 441,785 times
Are your coworkers 6th graders? The office needs some direct supervision, it seems.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
ACTION: she put a piece of paper on a co-worker's head

RESULT:
1.he turns around and slams his fist on the table
2. and throws books on the floor and gets up and points a finger at her and screams at the top of his lungs "DON"T EVER PUT ANYTHING ON MY HEAD AGAIN
3. YOU F***CING C***T."
4. he looked terrifying.
5. His eyes were black and bloodshot and popping out of his head.
6. His veins were popping out of his forehead and his face was all red with clenched teeth and palms in a fist.
7. He then threw his jacket on the floor
8. and stormed out of the area
So would you all react like this if someone put a piece of paper on your head?

Her action was foolish (I guess - I wouldn't do that but I don't think it is a critical life altering incident).

His response is completely and totally unacceptable. PERIOD. Those are the actions of a crazy person. This is not remotely acceptable. I would never again feel comfortable having this person work around me even if I just witnessed the incident.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:25 AM

If I quietly walked over and called some co worker YOU F***CING C***T, I doubt I would be employed much longer. And that is without all the other actions.

Maybe I could experiment saying that to someone walking down the hall from an unrelated office and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment