Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 12:00 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

Your skills are your asset.
Spare yourself the sit down chat.
Save yourself the time.
I say this as a person that had the spreadsheet list . Presented it. Listened.
And the response was : hey! Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will think it over. Nothing came of it. Okay something did...I learned that the professional document, the meeting, and the follow thru were a waste.
Go where your skills are valued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 06:01 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well, first and foremost, take your feelings out of it. How you feel is really irrelevant to a professional and productive discussion about job duties and job titles. Prepare a document showing all of your duties lined up next to the duties of the higher managers. Bring this to your boss and show them that your tasks are the exact same as the other managers and have him explain why the jobs have different titles and salaries.

And when he does, listen to his answer. It is possible that there are duties you do not know about. It is possible that while you might have to do one or two reviews, they do 20. It is possible that they perform all of these duties independently and you still require help and guidance (because you are an assistant). All of these mean that the jobs are actually different.

But, as you claim, these jobs are identical, your boss will have a very hard time explaining the difference, and you will be able to tell. And should this be the case, you will have to be prepared with what your next action will be. Will you demand that you be made a manager or leave? That's fine, but be prepared to follow through.
^^^ I also think this is good advice. Make a list of your duites/responsibilities. Schedule a time to meet with your boss to discuss your situation. If you feel the company is not being fair to you, but things won't change (or you get clarity about the responsibilities vs pay) then determine what your next step will be.

I also agree about taking your feelings out of it, at least to the extent that you don't go in and start whining about how you are being taken advantage of. Talk nuts and bolts. Responsibilities vs pay.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:10 AM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Are you the only "assistant" manager? If not, what do the other assistant managers do?

Old 10-25-2021, 11:27 AM

24 posts, read 21,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Are you the only "assistant" manager? If not, what do the other assistant managers do?
There is only 1 other supervisor in the whole building and she does not do any manager responsibilities. Her job is just to strictly supervise. She might be included in interviews? But she doesn't actually do the interview, where as I do.. She isn't the one that gives yearly reviews, but I do.. she doesn't order supplies, I do.. she really is a supervisor where as Im a manager being paid as a supervisor.. I looked at a list of my job responsibilities and in not so many words I am to assist my manager as well as supervise. My manager leaves me to do everything he would do though, that's the problem. I don't assist him.. I do it for him.

Also thank you to everybody else who took the time to reply as well!. I agree that that is a good way to approach it.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:36 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znil28 View Post
There is only 1 other supervisor in the whole building and she does not do any manager responsibilities. Her job is just to strictly supervise. She might be included in interviews? But she doesn't actually do the interview, where as I do.. She isn't the one that gives yearly reviews, but I do.. she doesn't order supplies, I do.. she really is a supervisor where as Im a manager being paid as a supervisor.. I looked at a list of my job responsibilities and in not so many words I am to assist my manager as well as supervise. My manager leaves me to do everything he would do though, that's the problem. I don't assist him.. I do it for him.

Also thank you to everybody else who took the time to reply as well!. I agree that that is a good way to approach it.
So, who would you be having this discussion with? The manager who has delegated all of his work to you?

Old 10-25-2021, 11:51 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znil28 View Post
Her job is just to strictly supervise.
Supervise who? How many direct reports does she have?

Quote:
She might be included in interviews? But she doesn't actually do the interview, where as I do.. She isn't the one that gives yearly reviews, but I do.. she doesn't order supplies, I do.. she really is a supervisor where as Im a manager being paid as a supervisor.. I looked at a list of my job responsibilities and in not so many words I am to assist my manager as well as supervise. My manager leaves me to do everything he would do though, that's the problem. I don't assist him.. I do it for him.
So make a note of all these management skills you have, and be prepared to do a stealth job search and see if you can get more working elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment