Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 10:33 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
These were those support offices who think they have to review and comment on everything but don't actually produce any product that were complaining because in the WFH environment, people has simply started leaving them out of email chains and document reviews so that productivity and quality had gone up. Because in WFH everything was measured, the numbers showed who was and was not adding to the bottom line. Basically showing that these offices added no value to the production chain. They wanted back in the office to be seen as valuable.
This is hilarious.

We had some people like this -- hired as "analysts" but really just bounced from conference room to conference room for meetings each and every workday. Occasionally to "represent" our IT department, but often with nothing to add. Sometimes I would ask them questions about various projects, cuz they had been in one or another meeting. But I could have just as easily asked the business peeps directly, and I usually got better information when going to the business directly.

Since the shutdown, these analysts didn't know when and where all the meetings were happening. And they sure as heck were not invited to the now-more-focused meetings conducted by various business teams.

Both of the analysts are now gone -- quit of their own accord, but I think they saw the writing on the wall. There is no added value as a facilitator when facilitation is non-productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 08:10 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,139 times
Soooo my office has been open for about two weeks and already a positive case on my floor. Insanity!!

Old 09-18-2021, 09:16 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,881,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Soooo my office has been open for about two weeks and already a positive case on my floor. Insanity!!
Of course. That is to be expected and precisely why I filed a medical accommodation request. No matter what the company does it won't be enough.

The virus is simply too genetically fit to be outclassed by flimsy half a** protocols. The protocols are not designed to protect you, they are only designed to keep cases low. And that is not enough for people such as myself at higher risk for complications.

Old 09-18-2021, 01:37 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,807,833 times
Quote:
Hopefully the infected person will recover and there won't be a big spread... making it not a big deal.

Old 09-18-2021, 03:18 PM

13 posts, read 10,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We voluntarily trickled back into the office back in June.

Technically my team and I are on a 3/2 hybrid schedule since last March, but we got sick of it and all went back to the office. Most of us have been in 5 days for a few months now.

I personally prefer being in office to get my work done
I don't love commuting but I do not want to work at home. Home is my place away from work. I cannot work from home anyway, but I have zero interest in doing it. It is really just not good for me.

Similarly, my husband is tired of working from home and has slowly been going into the office here and there.

Quote:
I have worked the entire time throughout the pandemic in person and we had COVID cases throughout. Keep in mind that my department is enclosed and has no windows and we all share workspaces. I am not complaining but that is just the reality of it. We all wear masks the entire time and most of us have been vaccinated. I am not complaining but just letting you know that none of us caught it from the people who tested positive by following proper protocols.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:22 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,707,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetfromsac View Post
Its crazy how in just a snap companies drop the WFH setting and start implementing on-site without realizing the effects to its employees.
Businesses do what is best for them. They don't have to explain to or cajole their employees. Don't like working from the office? Then leave and go somewhere else. Corporate America. It's my business and I will run it as I see fit.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:23 PM

13,237 posts, read 7,290,839 times
My employer has told us we can work from home permeably if we choose. They took away all our cubicles remodeled the rooms into common use open cubes. Some of the changes we gone though are managers are monitoring more what each person is working on before it was they see you every day assumed your working.

8 hour bi-annual company meetings are much easier from home mute that meeting and go back to my project work not waste entire day sitting in plastic chairs give me a back ache.

My department is information technology we have 3 groups of people technical people, non technical, and managers. Generally the non-technical are promoted to managers. With the work from home it's really highlighted their high cost, and low contribution to the company. Prior to covid they spent their days going to meetings walking around and talking to people and acting like they were so busy generating useless procedures that slows production down.

The result lately has been higher praise of technical IT worker they are losing employees left and right for higher paying employment. Some have moved 2-3 hours from the office on the fact that HR said we could choose to work from home, but I wonder how long it will last.

The upside to working from home for me I'm not interrupted all day long by people walking up to my cube asking questions. I haven't caught any colds in the last two years it was a regular thing for some employees to come to work sick and cough their brains out at their desk.

Number of employees and even some managers told me if they force us back to the office they look for other employment.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:37 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
My employer has told us we can work from home permeably if we choose. They took away all our cubicles remodeled the rooms into common use open cubes. Some of the changes we gone though are managers are monitoring more what each person is working on before it was they see you every day assumed your working.

8 hour bi-annual company meetings are much easier from home mute that meeting and go back to my project work not waste entire day sitting in plastic chairs give me a back ache.

My department is information technology we have 3 groups of people technical people, non technical, and managers. Generally the non-technical are promoted to managers. With the work from home it's really highlighted their high cost, and low contribution to the company. Prior to covid they spent their days going to meetings walking around and talking to people and acting like they were so busy generating useless procedures that slows production down.

The result lately has been higher praise of technical IT worker they are losing employees left and right for higher paying employment. Some have moved 2-3 hours from the office on the fact that HR said we could choose to work from home, but I wonder how long it will last.

The upside to working from home for me I'm not interrupted all day long by people walking up to my cube asking questions. I haven't caught any colds in the last two years it was a regular thing for some employees to come to work sick and cough their brains out at their desk.

Number of employees and even some managers told me if they force us back to the office they look for other employment.
This is much the same rationale as where I am.

It's difficult to retain good IT talent as a small town, lower paying employer in a labor market that is increasingly supporting remote work. If you're only paying X, and an out of area employer is offering 1.25x, 1.5x, and both jobs are remote, it's going to be hard to retain the person.

We've had a good bit of turnover where I am because of this. In my personal case, this has been the difference between me going to a "higher value add" team, and having to remain on my current team that is supporting various legacy technologies. While the work is critical to operations, it's not the type of thing that is going to pop out on a resume. I'm looking for other remote opportunities, partly due to this stagnation, partly due to looking for better pay.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:31 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,071 times
It's even worse when your office is metaphorical. Although I prefer to WFH I didn't mind working my pandemic duties and they took that away from me so here it is over 2 months later and I'm still mad that I was forced to quit. I don't even want a job anymore I just want money and I hate that I even want that because the whole experience has soured me.
I just recently at least found out I'm not alone because apparently people quit after me to the point my boss was let go but I'm sure those people found other decent opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I would never return to the office, even 1 day a month. I was working 2 days a week from home and 3 in the office before the pandemic. Now the entire office has been remote since March 2020 and boss has not even mentioned anything about ever returning. It would be non-negotiable to me and I would just go the self-employment route and take contract work before I ever set foot in any office again. It is quite freeing to know you are independent enough to never be reliant on an employer for your wellbeing and that being self-employed is a great viable option. The lackeys going back into the office cause they are told are probably the same ones that will work till they are 65 or older too. Life is too short told how to live your life by an employer, especially after the last 2 years. And if you are excited to return to an office environment, I feel sorry for you that your personal life is that void of meaningful things to do without wanting to be in a workplace most of your waking life.
That's nice but I need someone to guide me so self employment is a little too independent for me. I've thought about contract work where you have that guidance like say Instacart but all of it that I've seen I'm not capable of doing or it doesn't even pay minimum wage.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:36 PM

13,237 posts, read 7,290,839 times
What I like about it is anytime I want I can take a break sit outside in my backyard enjoy the outdoors, or even take my laptop out there sit by the pool and work. I was kind of shocked how many managers said they really liked working from home. One told me first time he had been able to spend so much time with a new child they just had before that he would work 10-11 hours a day his kids were usually headed for bed soon after dinner.

Co-worker who recently left to a new employer he said the president demanded everyone back in the office as soon as the vaccine was available to everyone back in June. He stated remote working was impossible to mentor anyone. After a few months everyone back in the office 8 people came down with Covid one person died. Now his spouse filed a lawsuit against the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment