Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 10:15 AM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times

Advertisements

"Smart" companies and "effective and engaged" managements know that real work can only be done in the office and WFH is a needless frivolity that is a drain on productivity and inspires laziness in workers, no matter what studies and experiences say. So once the COVID danger is past, everyone just hop back to the office where you can do your best work, free from home distractions and temptations.

I thought that this mindset would prevail and I am sad to be right. However, I'm sure there are be some companies that would continue to allow their employees to WFH. So some progress has been made for the WFH crowd (me included).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 11:25 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetfromsac View Post
Its crazy how in just a snap companies drop the WFH setting and start implementing on-site without realizing the effects to its employees.
It is and they might lose good employees because of it.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:51 AM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
It is and they might lose good employees because of it.
These companies might lose good people, but they may not care. As long as they can get people that's all that matters. And in an employer's market where there are plenty of desperate people looking for jobs, that might not be hard to do.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:13 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,731 times
In the most recent pow-wow about WFH, the leadership of my division laid out why they want to return to the office. They also appear to accept that many people will leave (retire/ resign/ fade away). Dozens have departed already.

Management feels that they have lost control of the day-to-day operations. People are scattered and not as "agile" as they would be in one location. The city also has been howling to get people back downtown. The sales tax drop-off must be catastrophic (the workers live almost to a person in suburbia).

In any case, the S will HTF sometime in January 2022. Two years of full-time WFH will come to an end, and it will be fascinating to watch the human drama once everyone is back in one tower. LOL.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:48 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times
Lots of jobs offering full time remote. No need to cram people into an office anymore. It’s really not necessary for lots of occupations.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:25 PM

449 posts, read 283,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I have been saying this for months, that companies can and will remove the WAH option for employees at the drop of a hat. Never feel like anything is permanent at work because.....well....it never is!
You misspelled WHAAA.

Been going into work since this whole thing started.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:38 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,798 times
I think some employers are HOPING some will quit (preferably the older higher paid staff) so they can get rid of them "for free" with no bad publicity or severance required.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:38 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
We went from a stuffy, five day a week, butt in seat, can't wear jeans on Fridays corporate culture to fully remote. There are no plans to come back. Buildings are being sold, leased to other companies, or existing leases not renewed as they come up.

If we went back, I'd only go for as long as it would take for me to find a comparable remote opportunity or a better on-site opportunity in another area.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:12 PM

469 posts, read 1,871,124 times
I've been back in the office since November 2020. Although I prefer working from home. However, upper management has been extremely more receptive to working from home when requested. Also 'snow days' have pretty much effectively been eliminated. Now when the office is closed due to inclement weather, it's not really closed as now everyone can work from home.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:44 PM

202 posts, read 124,626 times
We're probably going back in a couple of months, depending on how things go, to work in the office for two days per week and WFH three days per week.

We were told that we've been far more productive while working from home. So why do we need to go into the office then? It's easier to collaborate or some nonsense (we've been doing that just fine with videoconferencing).

IMO it's just a bunch of old school managers with controlling personalities who are resistant to change. I think some of them miss the daily gossip, backstabbing, and drama that goes on in the office, as well as having their rear ends kissed by the peons.

While working from home, office politics have been minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment