Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 03:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times

Advertisements

If you get annoyed with constant notification sounds but don't have the sense to turn them off, the problem lies with you. If you get annoyed because you think IM demands immediate response and reinforce this by giving an immediate response, the problem lies with you.

I prefer IM because the chats are limited to my immediate collaboration team members while I get emails from all over the company and sometimes even spam leaks through. With IM, we can also do a quick screen share or voice call from within the chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 03:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,118,177 times
I prefer IMs when it's something short and sweet and they need a quick response from me. I prefer emails when it's a complicated issue that several people are involved with. I can organize emails better (in Outlook) than I can Teams chats, which can involve a lot of unrelated information that is tricky to filter through.

Old 08-31-2021, 04:53 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
I find them annoying for several reasons. While they can be useful for small side conversations, many people expect the "instant" in "instant messaging" means "instant response." They get upset of you don't drop everything to respond to them. We also now have people using them as tasking tools and get even more upset if you don't see their "task" they put into the stream for you.

Just like having a door on the office gets me time to work on projects, having an ability to block IM should be a given. Yet our IT shop and our management want open flow at all times.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I find them annoying for several reasons. While they can be useful for small side conversations, many people expect the "instant" in "instant messaging" means "instant response." They get upset of you don't drop everything to respond to them. We also now have people using them as tasking tools and get even more upset if you don't see their "task" they put into the stream for you.

Just like having a door on the office gets me time to work on projects, having an ability to block IM should be a given. Yet our IT shop and our management want open flow at all times.

How exactly do they get "upset"? And so what if they do?

Block IM by closing the app. Just like your email client. Teams only gets a message to you maybe 15-20 seconds faster than Outlook when you have the apps running. If someone demands you respond instantly to IM they could just as easily demand you respond instantly to email.

Are you in the office or WFH?

Old 08-31-2021, 06:59 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I'm an engineer and Teams messaging works well sometimes. Frequently, you need an answer right away and it is more efficient to message than to email. Then again it depends on the complexity of the question. Often we use the Teams chat to launch a voice call if the topic is too complicated for a chat window. Email is better for sending plots or tables or as others have said for a permanent reference for the future. Teams messaging can be annoying and disruptive but that is the nature of the business.
This only works for simple questions with a sentence or two answer. I don't want a big discussion via Skype/Teams.

Call me if we need to talk. Email for long-winded or more thoughtful text conversations.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This only works for simple questions with a sentence or two answer. I don't want a big discussion via Skype/Teams.

Call me if we need to talk. Email for long-winded or more thoughtful text conversations.

You mean call on Teams or on a phone? The advantage of Teams calls is you can have multiple parties on the call much more easily than navigating some phone system conference call. Plus screen sharing.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:18 PM

3,515 posts, read 1,420,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I apologize if this has already been posted, but does anyone else find it distracting (and annoying) when peers message you on Teams? I get it when my manager does because she needs something at that moment, but a coworker? Is email not an effective way to communicate vs you need an answer RIGHT NOW! I even tried setting myself to 'busy' and people still messaged me and one even called me shortly after sending an email. I'm very good at responding to emails same-day, but if I don't read and respond within seconds then IM is their next approach. I'm busy and find these interruptions distracting.

Consider this a vent, or share your experiences.

Unfortunately, this is a been a major problem of mine since the WFH began. The IMs I get are out of control at times. In fact, half of my day today was wasted just answering people's IMs. People are soooo needy! Can't people work independently without bothering others?

As much as I love the WFH flexibility and all, I just it very inefficient answering IMs. So part of me wishes we were back in the office. It's just much easier talking to the people around you rather than typing IMs all day.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:30 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,120,499 times
We all prefer messaging services like Teams and now slack.

Just because someone messages you, doesn't necessarily mean you have to drop everything you are doing to respond. If it bothers you, just turn off the notifications and check when you get a chance.

We much prefer messages than email which can get all confusing when you have an email thread get replied to at different points by individuals CC'd.

If it is that important, they will call.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Unfortunately, this is a been a major problem of mine since the WFH began. The IMs I get are out of control at times. In fact, half of my day today was wasted just answering people's IMs. People are soooo needy! Can't people work independently without bothering others?

As much as I love the WFH flexibility and all, I just it very inefficient answering IMs. So part of me wishes we were back in the office. It's just much easier talking to the people around you rather than typing IMs all day.

How about taking charge of yourself, focus on your work first, answer IM's second? I find talking to people in the office much more distracting and wasteful as it is much more likely to spin off into different directions, often nothing to do with work.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:34 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,120,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

How do you know they get upset? Sounds like an office cultural problem. If management wants the proverbial door open all the time, you should take up your issue with them since it is their policy.

Some in our office block off time to focus on tasks on their calendar and turn off messaging services during that time. Its pretty much the same as closing the door.

I just don't quite understand how you allow messages to come in and distract you. Its fairly easy to turn it off for a period of time. Certainly easier than someone person standing by your desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment