Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 07:31 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

I'm to the point I hate the little ding. I prefer email. Call or text if it's truly urgent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 08:58 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I prefer IMs to emails as I can generally give a less formal and quicker response.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:47 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
Email is a waste of time. Everyone is so behind it just gets buried. If you need an answer, IM is the way to go.

I realize a lot of you will disagree but I get literally hundreds of email. People have given up trying to read them especially in a timely fashion.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:41 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I apologize if this has already been posted, but does anyone else find it distracting (and annoying) when peers message you on Teams? I get it when my manager does because she needs something at that moment, but a coworker? Is email not an effective way to communicate vs you need an answer RIGHT NOW! I even tried setting myself to 'busy' and people still messaged me and one even called me shortly after sending an email. I'm very good at responding to emails same-day, but if I don't read and respond within seconds then IM is their next approach. I'm busy and find these interruptions distracting.

Consider this a vent, or share your experiences.
I think the communication method should match your audience as well as the topic.

I prefer IM for quick discussions, etc. But would go to email or even phone call if need be. Again, it all depends on what we're talking about.

That said - if you have DND on, it should be respected. I would have no problems ignoring messages, etc. if that was the case. Just as I would ignore them if I'm in a call/meeting. There are always exception of course.

As with anything else - you also need to sometimes manage people. If there is one certain offender, I would just make it known that I don't appreciate being hounded (eg. chat, then email, then call) when it's clear that I'm not available at that specific time.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I agree with the OP on the Teams IM interruptions. Back when we were in the office people would check calendars and call if it showed free. Now they ignore that, so I often get a Teams IM or even a Teams call while already in a meeting. It's just a matter of courtesy. I have gotten used to ignoring them, even if it's my boss.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:55 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree with the OP on the Teams IM interruptions. Back when we were in the office people would check calendars and call if it showed free. Now they ignore that, so I often get a Teams IM or even a Teams call while already in a meeting. It's just a matter of courtesy. I have gotten used to ignoring them, even if it's my boss.
Are you using the Teams status feature to display when you're available and when you can't be disturbed? A lot of people who aren't liking some of these new messaging tools don't seem to using the features that could make their lives easier. You don't like the sounds? Turn them off. You don't want the notification? Turn it off. The settings are all there.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-31-2021 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-31-2021, 08:10 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
I'm an engineer and Teams messaging works well sometimes. Frequently, you need an answer right away and it is more efficient to message than to email. Then again it depends on the complexity of the question. Often we use the Teams chat to launch a voice call if the topic is too complicated for a chat window. Email is better for sending plots or tables or as others have said for a permanent reference for the future. Teams messaging can be annoying and disruptive but that is the nature of the business.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:16 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm to the point I hate the little ding. I prefer email. Call or text if it's truly urgent.
Same here. It's like the anti-Pavlov's dogs.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:31 AM

254 posts, read 281,185 times
My office has been using IM software for over 20 years. Teams is the 3rd program & least favorite for IM's out of what we've used and if definitely could use improvement in displaying one's status. We have office IM etiquette in place, so interruptions aren't an issue. We use it a lot when most people were working in the office so quick work conversations stay quick, on topic and don't distract other people working nearby. If the question isn't holding up your workflow "Do you have a minute?" should be the first message. Monitoring and responding to my IM's is part of what I get paid to do and it shows that I'm at my desk working. A lot of my work is mental, so it can be harder at times for management to quickly judge what I'm doing by output. It's been a good indicator to management for who might be abusing work from home privileges.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are you using the Teams status feature to display when you're available and when you can't be disturbed? A lot of people who aren't liking some of these new messaging tools don't seem to using the features that could make their lives easier. You don't like the sounds? Turn them off. You don't want the notification? Turn it off. The settings are all there.
Yes, it's updated automatically from my Outlook calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment