Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 12:49 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,122,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Perhaps but exercise is a completely different topic and perhaps deserves a different thread.

Back on topic about the impact of sitting for long periods of time in relation to your health... Zoom culture has created an environment where people sit for 4+ hours and up to 8 or more in a single day because their only interface with work is through a computer screen. Even with exercise this is just really bad for the body, physically and mentally.
This has not been the case for me. I have not sat at any job for 4+ hours at a time because it was required. Even through trainings, they generally take a small break every couple of hours to allow people to stretch their legs and move around. With Zoom meetings, I often move around, as it's seldom that I need to bit sitting in front of a camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 12:53 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,834,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
You're just pulling fake numbers out of your arse. I have not sat at any job for 4+ hours at a time because it was required. Even through trainings, they generally take a small break every couple of hours to allow people to stretch their legs and move around.
I question whether you've had an office job if you think I'm making these numbers up. I also noticed your changed what I said to meet your narrative and agenda. I said 4+ hours in a single day and you had it as I said "4+ hours at a time" -- which is not the case. Either your reading comprehension is poor, you like starting arguments for the sake of starting arguments, or you're pushing an agenda that you're unable to successfully push without twisting other people's words and saying things are made up. It's telling.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I question whether you've had an office job if you think I'm making these numbers up. I also noticed your changed what I said to meet your narrative and agenda. I said 4+ hours in a single day and you had it as I said "4+ hours at a time" -- which is not the case. Either your reading comprehension is poor, you like starting arguments for the sake of starting arguments, or you're pushing an agenda that you're unable to successfully push without twisting other people's words and saying things are made up. It's telling.
I changed my wording, because I had the awareness that it sounded a bit crass, and I don't mean to be rude to you. So you're welcome, and I'm sorry.

4+ hrs sitting per day would not be any different from any office job I've had, whether at home or at the office. In fact, it's easier to move around at home because I don't have prying eyes constantly watching me and I don't have to feel guilty about moving around. No one said you have to sit while on Zoom calls either. Get a standing desk, hold your phone up on stand, etc.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:01 PM

5,022 posts, read 2,743,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Right within the first paragraph I stopped reading the article. Most professional desk jobs are salaried where compensation is based on responsibilities. Salaried people should be evaluated based on how well they fulfill their responsibilities and not on hours logged at work.
In most of the salaried positions that I held, my employers wanted to see both - fulfilling responsibilities (i.e. productivity) AND hours logged (but* in seat time). I'm seeing this in other companies as well and it seems to be expanding - METRICS, where you are tracked by keystrokes on your computer, how many times and for how long you go to the bathroom, how often you go to the snack room, how you do your work with XX percent spent on this and XX percent spent on that, etc. At one time even facial expressions were tracked at my last IT job (mercifully, it didn't last long). You could go nuts trying to fulfill these stupid metrics! And all that is needed is to track productivity and nothing else as you have said. Places are becoming metrics crazy in attempts to leverage as much work out of the employees as possible, and it is more difficult to track that when an employee is working from home despite the availability of tracking software. So back to the office, everyone, so we can watch you work and measure your adherence to our metrics more effectively.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
In most of the salaried positions that I held, my employers wanted to see both - fulfilling responsibilities (i.e. productivity) AND hours logged (but* in seat time). I'm seeing this in other companies as well and it seems to be expanding - METRICS, where you are tracked by keystrokes on your computer, how many times and for how long you go to the bathroom, how often you go to the snack room, how you do your work with XX percent spent on this and XX percent spent on that, etc. At one time even facial expressions were tracked at my last IT job (mercifully, it didn't last long). You could go nuts trying to fulfill these stupid metrics! And all that is needed is to track productivity and nothing else as you have said. Places are becoming metrics crazy in attempts to leverage as much work out of the employees as possible, and it is more difficult to track that when an employee is working from home despite the availability of tracking software. So back to the office, everyone, so we can watch you work and measure your adherence to our metrics more effectively.
Aren't you retired? Which present companies are you that much in the know about? I've not heard of a single organization dumping this much money and resources into a cost center like IT to try to figure this stuff out. Companies are inefficient in so many ways, and most people are running around with their heads cut off. I highly doubt most organizations have the resources and aptitude to carry out what you're describing here.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:16 PM

9,234 posts, read 6,394,005 times
Quote:
The unhealthy part is the sitting. We're built to be on our feet walking throughout the day. It's healthier to walk around the office meeting with people, having hallway conversations, discussions in the courtyard/park/gym/game room, etc. than it is to take meetings through zoom/meet/teams all day where you sit/stand in the same place for hours at a time.
Honestly I have never had an in-office role where walking around and being away from one's desk was encouraged. In fact more often than not, that behavior was discouraged. Being in the office is generally more sedentary for people who have the desire to be at least somewhat active.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Aren't you retired? Which present companies are you that much in the know about? I've not heard of a single organization dumping this much money and resources into a cost center like IT to try to figure this stuff out. Companies are inefficient in so many ways, and most people are running around with their heads cut off. I highly doubt most organizations have the resources and aptitude to carry out what you're describing here.
Yes, I am retired but have a large network of friends and former colleagues that are still working at that company and others. I also have a circle of retired friends in my retirement community that have worked in various industries. They all report similar experiences.

Companies don't need many resources to implement these metrics, just eagle-eyed managers that prowl around and notebooks to record in. As for aptitude, you don't need any. This can be done badly, but done nevertheless, inconveniencing and hassling the employees who have to dance to the right tunes.

I can't tell you that most companies are doing this since I can't see that far, but it seems to be the wave of the future based on what I am seeing and that seems to be expanding. I hope that the winds change and these metrics are blown away.

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 08-18-2021 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-18-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am retired but have a large network of friends and former colleagues that are still working at that company and others. I also have a circle of retired friends in my retirement community that have worked in various industries. They all report similar experiences.

I can't tell you that most companies are doing this since I can't see that far, but it seems to be the wave of the future based on what I am seeing and that seems to be expanding. I hope that the winds change and these metrics are blown away.
I've worked at a variety of companies, large and small. What you're describing has never been the norm.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I've worked at a variety of companies, large and small. What you're describing has never been the norm.
Ok. Unfortunately, that's not been my experience or the experience of many others that I know. I wish that when I had started out in the workforce I would have been fortunate enough to work for decent companies. But it's all over now for me. Makes retirement that much more pleasant being away from that s**t.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Ok. Unfortunately, that's not been my experience or the experience of many others that I know. I wish that when I had started out in the workforce I would have been fortunate enough to work for decent companies. But it's all over now for me. Makes retirement that much more pleasant being away from that s**t.
I agree, that sounds awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment