Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 12:52 AM

40 posts, read 27,322 times

Advertisements

I am on short term disability after recently giving a birth. I don’t qualify for maternity leave so I got less than 3 months of short term disability (10 weeks). When my employer called me to confirm my return date, I told her that my baby will be barely 8 weeks at that time and I can’t go back. So, she extended my leave for two more weeks. I am scheduled to return on Oct 1 instead of Sept 15. My STD benefits end on Sept 15.

Now, I don’t really want to go back to that job. First, I have no interest in staying in the same position and second, we are a very busy floor (nursing) and I am afraid I won’t be able to pump (breastfeeding the baby). When I was pregnant, I skipped couple of lunches because I had no time to eat and I went 12+ hours with no food, sometimes no water due to the fact that I couldn’t get few minutes to myself. I can’t imagine having time to go three times for 30 min and pump.

I would like to give my two weeks but not sure when to do it. If I quit Sept 1, I am afraid they will end my benefits early and more importantly, I don’t want to lose my health insurance as I have few appointments between Sept 1-8. If I quit Sept 15, I am technically giving them two weeks, but it looks really bad after my manager extended my leave for two weeks.
Also, I don’t want to be marked as “unhireable”.

Does anyone know, if it is even possible to quit during disability leave? Please, let me know what you think is the best route to go.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 01:59 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Short term disability benefits are provided by whom?

Did your employer offer disability as a benefit and you paid for it out of your paycheck to some third party company who provides the benefits?

Or did they provide it as a 100% paid employer benefit where they themselves provide the benefit??

About the two weeks: What does your employment contract say? If it requires two weeks notice then you are still employed until the two weeks are up even if they walk you out the door the same day. So your benefits and pay are still there.

Also, why do you care about being "unhireable"? Are they the only employer in the universe where you are?

`

Old 08-15-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Short term disability benefits are provided by whom?

Did your employer offer disability as a benefit and you paid for it out of your paycheck to some third party company who provides the benefits?

Or did they provide it as a 100% paid employer benefit where they themselves provide the benefit??

About the two weeks: What does your employment contract say? If it requires two weeks notice then you are still employed until the two weeks are up even if they walk you out the door the same day. So your benefits and pay are still there.

Also, why do you care about being "unhireable"? Are they the only employer in the universe where you are?

`
Benefits are paid by the employer, I guess since I never paid for STD, it was included. I know my employment will be there until my two weeks are up but I dont work so but I could try and list my last day of employment as 9/14.

Unhireable … they are def nog the only employer but I am afraid when a future employer calls to verify my history they will learn that I am unhireable which doesn’t sound that good.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:52 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I don't know how things are where you are at but here, nurses can bounce from hospital to hospital as they feel like it.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't know how things are where you are at but here, nurses can bounce from hospital to hospital as they feel like it.
Maybe I am just paranoid. I also live in a big city, but I do want to try psych nursing which seems slightly limited with offers (and i have no psych experience).
I guess my question was: if i give two weeks notice on Sept 15, is it a horrible thing, considering my manager gave me two weeks extension (my benefits end on Sept 15) and I am using that extension as two weeks.
Also, it was a verbal approval, I have no proof that I am good to stay home until Oct 1.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:43 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smf457 View Post
I am afraid when a future employer calls to verify my history they will learn that I am unhireable which doesn’t sound that good.
Usually employers give start date, end date, and role, they don't usually go into details like you think.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:35 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I would expect to be black balled from the hospital you currently work at. I would be surprised if a hospital does anything more than confirm dates of employment and position.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:40 AM

1,437 posts, read 732,977 times
The bad news: most states allow employers to list your start date and whether you are rehire-able or not/
The good news: there is always a shortage of nurses so the worse that will happen is the next hospital will either lowball you in pay(not by much) or stick you on the worst shift or both. but once you show them you are a good nurse that changes. so your next job you will have to go above and beyond at least starting out.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:21 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
I have a unique thought...why not just do the right thing, go back to work, pump and store when you need (respecting your co-workers), and make a bona fide attempt to make it work.

I know it is not fashionable in this day, but your employer did you right....why the desire to overlook that and move on just because you had a baby? People have babies all the time and they find a way to work and parent all at the same time. Some day jobs won't be growing on tress as they are now, and you might find value in thinking about your employer along with your personal needs.

Just a thought....not trying to be snarky whatsoever.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:05 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I have a unique thought...why not just do the right thing, go back to work, pump and store when you need (respecting your co-workers), and make a bona fide attempt to make it work.

I know it is not fashionable in this day, but your employer did you right....why the desire to overlook that and move on just because you had a baby? People have babies all the time and they find a way to work and parent all at the same time. Some day jobs won't be growing on tress as they are now, and you might find value in thinking about your employer along with your personal needs.

Just a thought....not trying to be snarky whatsoever.

i couldn't agree with this ^^^ more.

I know of no place on earth that would not allow/accomodate a nursing mother to pump....there are special rooms set aside for this. Also, my understanding is that the market is very strong for nurses. They can go anywhere, pretty much.

Of course, the OP said she doesn't want to return to that work and wants to try something else.
My 2 cents....go back...make it work the best you can, and find another position to eventually move to.
If you don't want to do that, you could use the end date of your benefits as the effective date of your resignation and then just find a job when it suits you. If you have done good work at the current place, even if they won't rehire you at some future date, I doubt they'd give you a poor rating/reference. No one ever does. You should see the problem cases we would get in the federal government.
It'd be like......how did this guy ever get hired?? LOL. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment