Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 08:11 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times

Advertisements

I also agree on giving it a try back at work. But if you do not want to go back, I don't think it is honorable to take the extra two weeks of PTO. You were given two extra weeks, on the condition of returning. So if you do not plan on going back, you shouldn't take them, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 08:55 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,025 times
If you know that you don't want to go back any time soon, just quit so that you aren't leaving them in the lurch. Nurses are highly in demand right now, so as soon as you're ready you'll be able to find a job. And quitting to raise a baby is on the list of "ok"/"reasonable" reasons to quit so future employers won't see it as an issue.

Just make sure you have some way to get health insurance etc.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:58 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
Could you ask your employer to move you to a less physically demanding floor or position, at least for the time being?

Old 08-16-2021, 05:25 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Could you ask your employer to move you to a less physically demanding floor or position, at least for the time being?
^^^^^^

…because if there’s a shortage, your employer might be more flexible than you think and thus, willing to work with you. Worth a shot.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:59 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
At that point you just had a baby. That's a good enough reason not to go back. You tried to make it work but_______.

Here is a job secret. No one is irreplaceable. Do what you think is in the best interest of you and yours.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:31 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smf457 View Post

Now, I don’t really want to go back to that job. First, I have no interest in staying in the same position and second, we are a very busy floor (nursing) and I am afraid I won’t be able to pump (breastfeeding the baby). When I was pregnant, I skipped couple of lunches because I had no time to eat and I went 12+ hours with no food, sometimes no water due to the fact that I couldn’t get few minutes to myself. I can’t imagine having time to go three times for 30 min and pump.
As a generality, I have found that as long as you are willing to be a doormat, people will treat you like a doormat.

You have worked 12+ hour days forgoing food and water and have forgone lunch on many other occasions and yet ... you are still worried they are going to give you a negative reference. Sounds like a familiar position to me.

Welcome to the world of work. Unnecessarily brutal and selfish and egotistical.

Basically, it comes down to this. Some other nurse out there is working less than half the REAL hours you are working, for more pay. As a matter of fact, a nurse posted here not long ago saying they were desperate to find things to fill the hours of their day but couldn't quit because the pay and pension were too good.

Now, what happens if you demand an easier job? You may get let go, they may meet your demand. A more likely scenario is they may say 'OK, maybe' and then just keep you at your old job.

One thing you do have the advantage of is being a mother. Basically, it's a self explanatory gap.

You can use that to plot to squeeze yourself into a better position ... if you have a mate that's willing to help.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:27 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I have a unique thought...why not just do the right thing, go back to work, pump and store when you need (respecting your co-workers), and make a bona fide attempt to make it work.

I know it is not fashionable in this day, but your employer did you right....why the desire to overlook that and move on just because you had a baby? People have babies all the time and they find a way to work and parent all at the same time. Some day jobs won't be growing on tress as they are now, and you might find value in thinking about your employer along with your personal needs.

Just a thought....not trying to be snarky whatsoever.
I agree with that 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment