Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 04:28 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times

Advertisements

I applied for an internal supervisor position.

I didn't mention it to my boss.

I got a call for an interview today.

But, the interview is Friday.

Typically they call everyone for an interview who works there... it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Should I bother to tell my boss?

I think no because I do not think I have any real shot at it.

Others think I should because what if someone mentions that I applied but didn't tell him.

Personally, I think I shouldn't tell him anything until they are asking for references or offering me the job. So many times in the past I have listened to people on this thing and it blew up in my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 04:45 PM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
Tell him.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
"Sir, I'd like to take this moment to let you know that I've applied for another position with the company, while I'm unsure as to my success, I'd rather not surprise you with a sudden departure"

Then you leave.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:52 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Do you want the new boss to bump into your current boss and say, "I may be stealing Arya from you." Also, once the resumes have been reviewed, it is common for the hiring division to reach out to the current division to get a feel for you as a candidate, and this is independent of the background or interview process. Again, do you want your boss to get this phone call in the blind? That's my experience on internal promotions.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:00 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Don't organizations have guidelines about those types of things?

At my current job it is clearly stated in the employee handbook that those applying for an internal position, and gets scheduled for an interview, needs to tell their immediate supervisor that they are being interviewed.

Even if there isn't any guidelines, it's never a good idea to do things behind your boss's back. Put yourself in your boss's shoes, I don't think you'd feel too good if you found out an employee under you was actively looking to move on and interview. Professional courtesy at all times.

Should You Inform Your Manager if You Are Job Searching Internally?

How to Tell My Boss About an Internal Interview

Old 07-14-2021, 04:38 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
[quote=Suburban_Guy;61447949]Even if there isn't any guidelines, it's never a good idea to do things behind your boss's back. Put yourself in your boss's shoes, I don't think you'd feel too good if you found out an employee under you was actively looking to move on and interview. Professional courtesy at all times./QUOTE]

There isn't.

But to me it seems like it is only professional courtesy when you have a serious chance at the job? I feel like I have zero shot.

He actually has been interviewing for jobs himself and only told me he wasn't getting it on the day the job was announced for someone else.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:57 AM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
[quote=Arya Stark;61449612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Even if there isn't any guidelines, it's never a good idea to do things behind your boss's back. Put yourself in your boss's shoes, I don't think you'd feel too good if you found out an employee under you was actively looking to move on and interview. Professional courtesy at all times./QUOTE]

There isn't.

But to me it seems like it is only professional courtesy when you have a serious chance at the job? I feel like I have zero shot.

He actually has been interviewing for jobs himself and only told me he wasn't getting it on the day the job was announced for someone else.
It's professional courtesy regardless. Even if it's only to give him notice that he may have to plan to fill the job you may vacate. Be honest and give him good reasons why you are applying for this internal position. It's the right thing to do.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:01 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Here’s another angle to consider: your applying for other jobs shows your supervisor you are interested in upward mobility. You never know when a special project or other “experience opportunity” might arise in your current job. “Let’s let Arya give it a shot.”

Old 07-14-2021, 07:26 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Here’s another angle to consider: your applying for other jobs shows your supervisor you are interested in upward mobility. You never know when a special project or other “experience opportunity” might arise in your current job. “Let’s let Arya give it a shot.”
Or, conversely, your supervisor finds out you're applying around to get out from under him/her and then decides to overload Arya with the most work and the most complex work because.....hey, who cares, s/he's leaving soon anyway?

I'm sorry but I'm of the camp that it's nobody's business where you apply to, internal or external. If there is a company policy about notifying your supervisor then by all means tell that person but otherwise, I'd keep tight lipped about it personally. If they find out, so be it. I don't see a different between applying internally or externally and I CERTAINLY wouldn't tell my boss if I was applying around externally.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:44 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Life would be easy if there are just rules/paths for everything.

But there isn't.

Whether or not you should have informed your manager is dependent on various factors.

Personally - I rather tell someone about something myself instead of them finding out from another source. By hitting it head-on - you can clarify any questions they may have. HOW you send that message is also important.

It sounds like you already made a decision and simply want confirmation/validation that what you are doing is correct. Of course, there is no standard right or wrong here. It is really dependent on how your manager likes to operate. And that's the key here... everyone here can say it's okay not to say anything. But if your manager thinks you should have.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment