Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 02:11 AM

86 posts, read 124,634 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation,
I've been working at US Bank as an operations support associate in the home mortgage division for a year now. I really love my job but I feel that im capable doing more than the clerical tasks of scanning and organizing files. So I'm looking at moving into a position with more complex tasks within the mortgage division. Some background on me is I have a Bachelor's Degree in Social Science and I've worked on the operations side of banking since 2016.( Temporary Operations clerk position at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage For 2 years then a Temporary Operations Processor position at US Bank for one year.) I was hired in my current position on July 1 2019.
So I need advice on is how do I tell my boss I want to leave the department and pursue another role. I was offered my current position after submitting my application and resume. I didn't even do a phone screen and interview so I feel conflicted like I owe loyalty to my boss because of this but with my education and growing experience im doing myself a disservice. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 04:57 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
So I need advice on is how do I tell my boss I want to leave the department and pursue another role.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Do you need his permission to do this?
I don't see any reason to say anything at all until you are accepted somewhere.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,269,560 times
Check your employee handbook and see if there is a process to follow.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:54 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,893,802 times
Don’t worry they can replace your responsibility in this current role easily with 50 million unemployed. Move on.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:29 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,260,161 times
At my last firm, when I wanted to move into a new position my boss asked me if it was going to be a better move for me, in terms of a promotion, better pay, whatever. If so, he told me to go for it. I felt guilty about "leaving" him, but he was supportive and it was a good move for me to make.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if it's something that is going to be better for you (pay, new challenge, etc.) then he/she should support it. If he/she doesn't, than that means you work for a crappy person and a crappy company.

I would just be honest with your boss. They should support you.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:47 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,377,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
Here's the situation,
I've been working at US Bank as an operations support associate in the home mortgage division for a year now. I really love my job but I feel that im capable doing more than the clerical tasks of scanning and organizing files. So I'm looking at moving into a position with more complex tasks within the mortgage division. Some background on me is I have a Bachelor's Degree in Social Science and I've worked on the operations side of banking since 2016.( Temporary Operations clerk position at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage For 2 years then a Temporary Operations Processor position at US Bank for one year.) I was hired in my current position on July 1 2019.
So I need advice on is how do I tell my boss I want to leave the department and pursue another role. I was offered my current position after submitting my application and resume. I didn't even do a phone screen and interview so I feel conflicted like I owe loyalty to my boss because of this but with my education and growing experience im doing myself a disservice. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
And when they have a downturn, call you into the office on Friday afternoon asking you to turn in company property followed by the guard marching you to the door as you are let go, how will that one sided loyalty you've given serve you?

Or, what if your current manager leaves the company, is replaced by a jerk, and now there is a hiring freeze and you didn't get to go for the job you really wanted?

Don't talk to your manager about anything. If there job you want is posted, go apply for it. If it isn't posted, go talk to the hiring manager in that area and see if there is interest. When you get the job, save the speech of thanks for your current manager on your last day in the role because you are transferred to another area.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:08 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Check your employee handbook and see if there is a process to follow.
There you go OP

Variations of this question have been asked before on this section of the forum, and the answer is still the same.

Whether you notify your immediate boss and/or management of your intentions in seeking another job depends on whether it is an internal or external job position.

If the position you want is within the same company, go by the employee handbook. At my current job it clearly is spelled out that if you seek a position at another department within the organization, then you notify your boss the moment you get an interview.

If there is no such guidance, or the potential job is at a different company, then no need to notify anyone.

Too easy.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:52 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,470,241 times
I had a positive relations with my superior. I told him I was inspired to expand my field of knowledge. He absolutely supported my goal to expand and succeed.
He didn't discourage staff from their career endeavors. He was quite honest when he had to give his feedback to the prospective department. They respected his professional opinion . Even I was humbled when they read his letter of support.

Another place that I worked I typed a letter to my dept.manager and the H.R.
In unison I let them know I was two weeks away from getting a career that accentuated my talents and ensured I would be an asset to them. HR wrote back the cookie cutter response of thanks and good luck. My mngr though made those two weeks a nightmare ...all while I whistled my tunes of happy days are here again, the sky above...
You are allowed to be inspired and find a career that motivates.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:42 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,396,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you need his permission to do this?
I don't see any reason to say anything at all until you are accepted somewhere.
In many companies when you apply to an internal position your manager is automatically cc:d...if so, you need to know so yes, you can have a reply ready.

But a good boss won't mind someone looking for more responsibility - but, did you ask your current boss about taking on more work? If NOT, then you'd better stress that you want to learn new SKILLS too.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:45 AM

22,264 posts, read 19,259,001 times
i work for a large firm where people move frequently between various departments. it is not a problem. the company supports upward mobility of its employees, and retention of employees is a big deal. none of my bosses has ever blinked an eye about my changing jobs. if anything, it is an incentive for departments to treat their people well, because there are plenty of other departments willing to take on your good people if you don't treat them well.

for internal interviews i would always take leave, for an hour or two, and one boss found out about this and insisted i do it on company time, she said "you don't need to take leave for an interview." which surprised me, but i thanked her for it. still, it didn't feel right to me, so i always take leave anyway.

my company has the peculiar aspect that when a person is chosen for a job within the company, the "start date" is negotiated between the old and new departments. The pay change starts right away as soon as a person is chosen, however their actual date of going to the new job can be anywhere from 2-10 weeks out. It is seen as a courtesy to allow the old department to finish up any urgent tasks before losing the person. It is sort of a bidding war "we want her now" "you can't have her for 6 weeks because we have to finish preparation for the inspection." the employee has no say in it whatsoever. I got one promotion and received the higher pay for a full 3 months before actually starting the new job. I didn't mind. The worst is a different job in the same service because they never want to let you go, they expect you to do both jobs, it can drag on for 6 months. i avoid that. usually if i am changing jobs its in a different department, for that very reason.

What is peculiar is that the old boss finds out right away that the person is chosen, even before the candidate is told she has the new job. so there really is no way to "secretly" get a new job in the company. the boss is going to know. typically it is my old boss that tells me they heard i was chosen for the new job which is really odd and backwards.

if i were to go outside the company, then they would not know i am leaving until i give notice.

there is also no formal "offer of a new job and do you accept." if they pick you, then right away they start the paperwork to move you into the new job. So if for some reason after interviewing you change your mind and don't want the job, it's important to let HR know right away that i have "withdrawn my application" for the job, so they can pick someone else. a few times i've done this and withdrawn after the interview. it happens.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-19-2020 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment