Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 07:55 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times

Advertisements

It's up to you.

An in-person interview would likely give you a leg up. If you feel strongly about the job, I'd recommend this. You could also do a Teams interview, see how that goes, then go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 09:05 PM

436 posts, read 579,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
How to respond?

I received an invitation to interview at a great company, but one of the sentences in the email confused me.

“We would prefer to have these interviews in person but we will use Microsoft teams if needed.”

Well, here is the thing: the building is 40-50 minutes away, so I can’t really do anything “in person” without burning vacation days, which I don’t want to really do.

How can I tactfully respond to this without blowing my chances? I really would like to work here. Should I just suck it up and use vacation?
100% suck it up and take vacation. If it’s worth having it’s worth taking the time and the extra distance.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:14 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
The key question is how rounds of interviews will there be? I'd indicate that I am willing to interview in person for the final round butas I am currently working I cannot take too many days off. Last summer when I was searching most places had 2 or 3 rounds.

Before blowing your pto budget you need to assess your chances of getting an offer not just how much you would like to get one. You could land a job at the first company or the fifteenth company you interview with.

As rummage said, if they provide you an option but have a problem with you using that option then maybe they aren't such a great company.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:20 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
How to respond?

I received an invitation to interview at a great company, but one of the sentences in the email confused me.

“We would prefer to have these interviews in person but we will use Microsoft teams if needed.”

Well, here is the thing: the building is 40-50 minutes away, so I can’t really do anything “in person” without burning vacation days, which I don’t want to really do.

How can I tactfully respond to this without blowing my chances? I really would like to work here. Should I just suck it up and use vacation?
Here's the thing: It was clearly stated that they prefer interviews in person. Suppose the other candidates are willing to make sacrifices to be there in person and you are the only candidate who requests Microsoft teams. No problem if you are clearly superior to the other candidates. But all things being equal, I would select the candidate who put the effort in to be there in person and accommodated the interviewers preference. It's always about trying to get a leg up on your competition.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:05 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
Don't pass up this opportunity. I would use the time available to go to the interview. Any interview I got, I made sure I used my personal days to go.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:27 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
You should just decline the interview and stay at your present position. That way you don't have to use up your pto.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:25 PM

432 posts, read 360,056 times
I was on a state hiring committee for a job years ago. Most candidates were interviewed in person. A few were interviewed through whatever video conferencing tool was being used. As someone tasked with evaluating candidates, I can tell you that the remote ones were at a disadvantage.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:05 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The key question is how rounds of interviews will there be? I'd indicate that I am willing to interview in person for the final round butas I am currently working I cannot take too many days off. Last summer when I was searching most places had 2 or 3 rounds.
While I haven't been in that exact situation I'd probably choose to do the first interview in person. You know what they say about first impressions! Once you are more of a known quantity a remote followup probably doesn't have the same consequences.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:20 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
While I haven't been in that exact situation I'd probably choose to do the first interview in person. You know what they say about first impressions! Once you are more of a known quantity a remote followup probably doesn't have the same consequences.

I can see that.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:58 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,238,916 times
use vacation time.
this is not only an interview, it is you auditioning for the job.

being able and willing to respond to what your employer asks of you is one of the things you are being evaluated on.
if you can't do what a company asks, how eager are they going to be to hire you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment