Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 10:52 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
But it is a job most people could do.
Maybe you would feel better (I would) if she taught them piano, better math or English skills? Trying to think of something to soften your blow.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:48 AM

12 posts, read 5,911 times
Since babysitting is such a lucrative and easy job, perhaps OP and others should quit their current jobs and start working as babysitters?

Old 07-03-2021, 08:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
So people are mad at me for complaining about paying a 20 year old girl $100 for a 3 hour job of sitting at the beach with a friend minding my kids? Why the anger? I guess maybe I'm old. I'm 42 and to me it seems like an easy job to sit on the beach and earn that kind of cash. Maybe I'm deprived, I dunno. I recall having friends who worked at country clubs and got tips from rich old men and that's how they made money for the summer. I was a lifeguard. Didn't make much but I had to take a physical and written test to do it.

If we live in a world where $20 an hour is supposed to be nothing to the average family then i don't know what to say. I guess I worry for the future. It seems like $20 an hour is nothing to many on this forum. I wonder how many of you are paying someone $20 an hour of your hard earned money ? And yes there's other people were paying in addition to our babysitter (housework, tick spraying, landscaping etc )
What are you doing? Besides whining about the past. Show the babysitter this thread and take your kids to the beach.

I do not dare to ask how you haggle with all this staff not to mention get the last cent of work out of them. Tips anyone? Christmas presents anyone? Graduation present for the baby sitter?

Old 07-03-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
But it is a job most people could do.
Apparently you have to pay someone to do it.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:40 AM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Like i said...thank God for grandparents.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Like i said...thank God for grandparents.
You may be one someday.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:57 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,411 times
Quote:
So people are mad at me for complaining about paying a 20 year old girl $100 for a 3 hour job of sitting at the beach with a friend minding my kids? Why the anger? I guess maybe I'm old. I'm 42 and to me it seems like an easy job to sit on the beach and earn that kind of cash. Maybe I'm deprived, I dunno. I recall having friends who worked at country clubs and got tips from rich old men and that's how they made money for the summer. I was a lifeguard. Didn't make much but I had to take a physical and written test to do it.

If we live in a world where $20 an hour is supposed to be nothing to the average family then i don't know what to say. I guess I worry for the future. It seems like $20 an hour is nothing to many on this forum. I wonder how many of you are paying someone $20 an hour of your hard earned money ? And yes there's other people were paying in addition to our babysitter (housework, tick spraying, landscaping etc )

First, maybe your finances are affected by your math skills because 100/3 = 33.33.

Second, you also sound like you are living in the past. What you earned 25 years ago is irrelevant. There is such a thing as inflation and a rising cost of living. This has been explained to you over and over.

Third, and perhaps most importantly, if you have a housekeeper and landscaping, then it appears that you are putting your living room and your front yard ahead of your children. Most middle-class Americans do not have a housekeeper or landscaping. Most middle-class Americans who have been working at home during the pandemic do not pay a babysitter to take their kids to the beach--or can even afford to live as close to one as you do.

You do sound very privileged, entitled, and out of touch. You sound blithely unaware of the the millions of Americans who are struggling to make ends meet, who work from home with small children, and who are not afraid to get their hands dirty tending their own homes and yards on the weekends.

How can I say this politely? You are not entitled to things you cannot afford. Your front yard, your living room, or your kids. Apparently you cannot afford to maintain all three, so pick two and get on with it.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:05 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:

I doubt many actually do pay that no matter what's posted. I don't care how people feel about it, I think $20 a hour is ridiculous. Especially to sit on a beach to watch older kids who don't need much watching. I wonder how many jobs like yours she has.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:07 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I doubt many actually do pay that no matter what's posted. I don't care how people feel about it, I think $20 a hour is ridiculous. Especially to sit on a beach to watch older kids who don't need much watching. I wonder how many jobs like yours she has.

Okay, so leave a 5-year-old and a 7-year-old on a beach by themselves. Then sue the beach when one of them runs off into the water and drowns. Then you'll be able to afford to properly care for the remaining child with the money. Sounds about right.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:32 PM

12 posts, read 5,911 times
Taking kids to the beach involves dragging tons of toys, applying and re-applying sunscreen, rinsing off sandy kids and toys, supervising the kids to make sure they don't drown or get hurt. When it's time to leave, you have to drive home with whiny kids who are tired, hot, and sandy, and you have to clean up all of the sand they've tracked in your car and into the house, rinse out their bathing suits, etc. It sounds like more fun than it actually is, and it's a ton of responsibility.

Another thing I've noticed is that parents are looking for more out of babysitters than they did "back in the day." When I was growing up, it wasn't uncommon for someone to pay a neighborhood 13-year-old a few bucks to babysit their kids. Now, most parents wouldn't leave their children with a babysitter who is that young. Instead, they want older high school kids or college kids who are obviously going to expect to get paid more. Also, sitting the kids down in front of the TV and feeding them microwaved chicken nuggets isn't the standard anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment