Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 02:37 PM

585 posts, read 496,922 times

Advertisements

First of all, you don’t need to be vaccinated to fly do you?
That is not the reason I don’t want to go but this would be a 3 and half hour flight. I hate flying and wearing a mask for 3.5 hours is something I can’t handle especially I’m a nervous wreck. It’s a big sales event that they want sales support to go to in Vegas next month. I just don’t know if I can handle it. My anxiety lately is bad and not only flying but socializing etc is brutal. And I don’t drink so I never seem to fit in. Can you back out of a work trip without being fired?
Also we have to share a room with people I’ve barely know since I don’t work with people in person. Is it wrong to pay for my own room? I just can’t share one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 02:47 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,120,195 times
I have terrible anxiety with flying, too, so I know how you feel. With the addition of the mask, I felt like I was about to have a panic attack on my last flight. On top of it, I was on a Southwest flight, and it felt like they had turned off the air vents above me. I felt smothered, and my eyeglasses kept fogging up. Not pleasant by any means.

Option 1) Can you discuss with your manager if it's essential that you come to the event given the circumstances?

Option 2) If it's something you are eligible for, can you get an Rx for Xanax from your PCP? It's something that helped me on my last flight.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I have terrible anxiety with flying, too, so I know how you feel. With the addition of the mask, I felt like I was about to have a panic attack on my last flight. On top of it, I was on a Southwest flight, and it felt like they had turned off the air vents above me. I felt smothered, and my eyeglasses kept fogging up. Not pleasant by any means.

Option 1) Can you discuss with your manager if it's essential that you come to the event given the circumstances?

Option 2) If it's something you are eligible for, can you get an Rx for Xanax from your PCP? It's something that helped me on my last flight.
I’ve flown many times and used Xanax but it only works slightly. That being said. I haven’t flown since 2019 so I don’t know if I can handle the mask thing. And I’ll be sweating buckets navigating through the airport and flying with a mask plus nerves. I could talk to my manager but not sure how I would present it.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:57 PM

Also is it normal to give such short notice? We found out about it today for 6 weeks from now.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
Also is it normal to give such short notice? We found out about it today for 6 weeks from now.
I don't think you ought to worry about this, because inconvenient scheduling of events is just a part of life. I would definitely ask your manager about the necessity of it. I'd frame it as you having some hesitancy about flying right now due to underlying health concerns. Technically you're not lying, and it's against HIPAA for them to dig any deeper than what you divulge.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:08 PM

I also am not vaccinated yet and still not sure I will get it. I had it and still have antibodies. I just don’t want to get into a situation where I am asked or be one of the only ones forced to wear a mask at the event. I can’t lie because I could be asked to prove it.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I also am not vaccinated yet and still not sure I will get it. I had it and still have antibodies. I just don’t want to get into a situation where I am asked or be one of the only ones forced to wear a mask at the event. I can’t lie because I could he asked to prove it.
So, repeat after me.

"Hey boss, I'm coming to you over a privileged matter and trust your discretion. I have some safety concerns about traveling by plane at this time due to some underlying health conditions. I wanted to ask if there may be an exception made for me not accompanying you all on this particular trip."

You do not, and should not, say any more than that. The rest is pertaining to your personal health condition, and that is protected by HIPAA and your boss can't legally inquire further.

Beyond that, it's up to your boss to decide whether you're an essential participant on this trip. You can address that later on, if necessary.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:20 PM

9,444 posts, read 8,418,810 times
Forgetting the mask, anxiety, short timeframe......if my company asks me to share a room with a co-worker and especially one I don't know, I'd come up with a reason real quick why I couldn't make the trip, Vegas or not. Maybe the week of the conference you suddenly come down with a "fever" and don't want to risk it. Problem solved.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Forgetting the mask, anxiety, short timeframe......if my company asks me to share a room with a co-worker and especially one I don't know, I'd come up with a reason real quick why I couldn't make the trip, Vegas or not. Maybe the week of the conference you suddenly come down with a "fever" and don't want to risk it. Problem solved.
OP added the shared room situation after I initially responded. This would also be a big no-no for me given the current circumstances.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
Quote:
Six weeks is short notice?

Talk to your manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment