Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 09:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times

Advertisements

Another red flag. I doubt the person you are expected to share a room with will be thrilled to share a room with a unvaccinated person and will decline to bunk with you. I also wouldn't want to sit next to you for hours on an airplane. Get the damn vaccine already, millions of others have and are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 09:23 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Seriously, you're sales support and you have so much anxiety that you cannot fly to a conference event and mingle with people?

I understand this is the internet, but some of the things I read...

Seriously, how do you guys find these cushy jobs where you get all this rope???

Old 06-29-2021, 09:31 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Seriously, you're sales support and you have so much anxiety that you cannot fly to a conference event and mingle with people?

I understand this is the internet, but some of the things I read...

Seriously, how do you guys find these cushy jobs where you get all this rope???
I've been in certain types of sales support roles before, and 99% of the time, there is zero travel and minimal interaction with others. But once a year, there is a fiscal year kickoff where they get everyone together, have lots of presentations about upcoming goals and awards for top sales people, and bring in vendors to demo new products and services. It's a giant conference for the company and all of its employees. Point is, there's a good chance that OP doesn't have to travel that much or interact with others simply because it's "sales support".

Old 06-30-2021, 12:43 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Absolutely. Well, this, and the non-existent law that people believe exists about employers asking questions about family, race, sex, religion, etc in an interview.

IS IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW to ask these questions. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW to discriminate based on the answers; thus it is best practice not to ask these questions. But AGAIN, NOT AGAINST THE LAW to ask.
It's right up there with "it's illegal to give a bad reference"

Old 06-30-2021, 12:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Just explain your concerns to your boss and see what they say. If you want to pay for your own room, I don't see how anyone is going to complain.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:48 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Sorry, but I also agree.

Quote:
I hate flying and wearing a mask for 3.5 hours is something I can’t handle
I bet you could handle it.
You know they make some seriously thin masks. I bought some at the beginning of the pandemic... I joked with my buddies that it was as thin as my wifes underwear.... the sexy ones, not the dailies.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 973,293 times
OP if you are so scared to fly with a mask for 3.5 hours, why not ask if you can rent a car and drive to Vegas yourself? Since you stated you'd be willing to pay for your own room, driving yourself will allow you to get to Vegas and no mask concerns. Another option could be to take the train (not sure if masks are required on trains).
A co-worker at an old job of mine was very afraid to fly. But she had to go to our distribution center every couple of years. So she took the train from SoCal to TN. Her boss was okay with it so she just left earlier than the time she was to be in the TN office.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:37 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
First of all, you don’t need to be vaccinated to fly do you?
That is not the reason I don’t want to go but this would be a 3 and half hour flight. I hate flying and wearing a mask for 3.5 hours is something I can’t handle especially I’m a nervous wreck. It’s a big sales event that they want sales support to go to in Vegas next month. I just don’t know if I can handle it. My anxiety lately is bad and not only flying but socializing etc is brutal. And I don’t drink so I never seem to fit in. Can you back out of a work trip without being fired?
Also we have to share a room with people I’ve barely know since I don’t work with people in person. Is it wrong to pay for my own room? I just can’t share one.
The whole thing sounds like a boondoggle for the sales people to go to Vegas and get drunk on the company's dime. Some idiots considered this a perk and a paid company vacation. Don't go. They won't miss you and it won't have any impact on your work. Share a room? That alone would cause me to look for a better company to work at.

As for getting vaccinated, get that taken care of now regardless.

I worked with a guy years ago who just before a business trip came down with the flu, and avoided the whole thing. Who knows if he was really sick or not, but it didn't go and hated traveling. He didn't miss a thing he told me.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:05 AM

9,392 posts, read 8,360,377 times
I love all the holier than thou replies here "Just suck it up!" "You're in sales!". So you people would really..........REALLY.........be okay sharing a room with a colleague you either don't know at all or barely know, sharing a toilet/shower, sleeping a few feet apart, coupled with it being in Vegas so there will likely be alcohol involved????

While I agree if you're in a sales position you need to do whatever it is you can to overcome a fear of flying, that's something that will follow you forever. But the part of this about sharing a room is just an absolute joke. Personally, I would decline and give that as my reason. "Sorry, I'm not comfortable as an adult sharing a room with someone I do not know."

Old 07-01-2021, 07:25 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I love all the holier than thou replies here "Just suck it up!" "You're in sales!". So you people would really..........REALLY.........be okay sharing a room with a colleague you either don't know at all or barely know, sharing a toilet/shower, sleeping a few feet apart, coupled with it being in Vegas so there will likely be alcohol involved????

While I agree if you're in a sales position you need to do whatever it is you can to overcome a fear of flying, that's something that will follow you forever. But the part of this about sharing a room is just an absolute joke. Personally, I would decline and give that as my reason. "Sorry, I'm not comfortable as an adult sharing a room with someone I do not know."
This is kind of related - a conference story in a party town. New Orleans.

I didn't have to share a room, but the person traveling with me was in the room next door. Our group attended a conference and afterwards went to the French Quarter. I took a taxi back to the hotel when I got tired and my travel mate stayed out.

Well the next morning I was ready and I called her room since it was time to go so we could go downstairs and get the shuttle to the airport. No answer. So I went to her room and banged on the door. No answer. So I went back and got a water glass and slammed it on her door over and over again as loud as I could.

She opens the door, disheveled and hung over and I said "Joyce. We have to get going NOW. We are late." So she throws on her clothes, shovels her stuff in her suitcase and stumbles out in the hallway, barely functioning. We missed the shuttle and had to get a cab.

Then when we got to the airport we contacted the gate and they had the plane wait for us. Joyce was incoherent and I had to grab her carry on suitcase/bags along with my carry on suitcase/bags (this was before 911 before carryon restrictions) and our conference prizes and run to the terminal with her somewhere, where ever behind me to get to the plane. It was like sprinting down an endless long track with a 100 pound weight banging in separate pieces on your back and in your hands. An absolute panic experience. I boarded, she came on after me and we sat next to each other on the plane while she reeked of alcohol and morning grunge body scent.

Did we need to catch this plane? I just wanted to get the heck home on time and not wait with her for a different flight some 4 to 6 hours later.

We did make it home on time.

And that is my travel with another person to a party town conference story. Hopefully OP can work something out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment