Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,811,140 times

Advertisements

Let's see, I currently live in Kentucky and graduating from college this weekend. I am keeping my options open--Greenville-Spartanburg, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Seattle--but my top pick is Texas, by a mile! I want to move there badly, I love that place.

I know a few from Texas and while they're good folks, I don't know them real extensively. For example:
  • A couple at church from Arlington
  • A man who frequents my current employer from Dallas
  • An ex-girlfriend in Houston who I am cordial with and has a parent in a higher-up position in a large corporation
  • A man, actually from a company in Seattle, who reviewed my application for a job in Lubbock. While I couldn't move to Texas right away to fill the position, he told me he was impressed with my job background and phone demeanor. He said I can call him anytime when I see any Texas job posting that I qualify for.
I want to make more connections, though. In this day and age, connections mean a lot rather than just cold contacts. How can I make more connections in or from Texas that could, well, help me end up in the Lone Star State someday?

Kentucky's okay and I do have plenty of connections that could help me land a job here, but I don't see myself spending the rest of my life here.

So, what to do? Where to start? Thanks ya'll, and I look forward to reading the responses.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 05-07-2008 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 01:11 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,194,590 times
Try posting in the Texas forum.

Also, whatever your career path is, I would find the National Association in the industry and see if they have a local chapter in the area you want to move to. Contact some of the members in the area and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Let's see, I currently live in Kentucky and graduating from college this weekend. I am keeping my options open--Greenville-Spartanburg, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Seattle--but my top pick is Texas, by a mile! I want to move there badly, I love that place.

I know a few from Texas, but not real well. They're all very good folks, they just lead their own lives. I know a couple and another person, all from Dallas-Ft. Worth, I've attended church with. I also have an ex-girlfriend in Houston who I'm cordial with, is a good person, and has a parent in a higher-up position in a large corporation.

I want to make more connections, though. In this day and age, connections mean a lot rather than just cold contacts. How can I make more connections in or from Texas that could, well, help me end up in the Lone Star State someday?

Kentucky's okay and I do have plenty of connections that could help me land a job here, but I don't see myself spending the rest of my life here.

So, what to do? Where to start? Thanks ya'll, and I look forward to reading the responses.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,811,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Try posting in the Texas forum.

Also, whatever your career path is, I would find the National Association in the industry and see if they have a local chapter in the area you want to move to. Contact some of the members in the area and go from there.
Good suggestion, ChicagoRon. I'll see what all I can get here. I'll post this in the Texas forum real soon...if it doesn't get moved there. And the NAI, I've never heard of that, but it never hurts to try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment