Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 03:37 AM

14 posts, read 8,207 times

Advertisements

Yes, you can change career paths, it isn't always easy task, but if you want it bad enough it can be accomplished. Even positions that require a bachelors/Masters degree and/or past the age requirement to get in, as I've accomplished it. But it's hard dedication, 24/7 research work, could take up to 2 years to apply and get in depending what career path your taking and your skill sets. You must learn and educate yourself about the said position, and aim your resume and other out of the box thinking ways to get into a position as going to job fairs. researching the top contact person, and meeting them face to face for that type position and letting your voice be heard,etc. ( intellect public speaking) and must have confidence in yourself and hard drive to not give up when others tell you to give up? Also must be willing to relocate to another state.

My career path story is long so maybe I'll share later on... I always say you can do anything you put your mind too!! There are some occupations not realistic for some people, for example if you have poor math skills you obviously should not apply to be a mathematician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 04:29 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Absolutely enjoyed the OP's career path and transformation into learning the final lesson- Take time to enjoy the scenary!

In reviewing work history- None of it was in my "GOAL" plan.

Some fields are as follows that I "fell" into:
1: fast food
2: Medical ( private duty and facility care)
3: Retail and small business
4: Network Admin
5: Hospitality
6: Catering
7: Jewelry- Specializing in high end items
8: Sales Rep.

Each one ultimately dealt with "Customer Interaction". Which lets face it, without the Consumer or Customer, there is no need for that profession.

I'm 8 years away from my goal to retire. I've got plenty of experience and very few "assets" that are needed in todays fast pace world .

Unlike the OP, I cannot say I found "my calling" in the career field. While I immensely enjoyed the Network ADMIN career it was in large part BECAUSE of my work environment- the comradery of the staff working for a greater goal. OR the fact my boss was supportive of his team. He inspired us! But the actual job itself was almost second nature - The pay was exceptional and the PERKS beyond compare. Yet I still did not consider it my calling.

With 8 years left maybe I will find that skill that sets me on a path to enjoy the scenary while so called "working"

Old 02-04-2021, 09:47 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Aviation maintenance, the Squadron transitioned to C-5s. 70# tool boxes, 35 steps to get to the flight deck, me an older female. Time to step aside!

Been in facility management ever since. I love it.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:15 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
High school 1963...
Navy. 8 years in electronics. Left in 1971 to pursue a sales career.
In 1977 I had worked myself to a standstill. Could not continue. I had made some money so I took 2 years off and flew my glider almost every day.
By 1979 I was feeling better but could not bear to wear coat and tie so I took a job as an auto mechanic.
A year later I went to work for a major company as a copier technician. The old drive for success returned, and by 1987 I was top salesman in that same company. Top out of 2500 (ahem).
I left in 1990 to become Director of Sales and Marketing at a smaller company, and then left that company in 1995 to establish my own sales representative firm.
Being self employed worked well for me. My wife and I worked together with one employee and managed to make some money.
In 2005, when I was 60, our suppliers began to fold under the pressure of Chinese suppliers. Rather than ride the situation into the ground I decided to change directions.
My wife retired and I sent myself off to school and learned to drive an 18 wheeler. I drove for 5 years, 750,000 miles and retired in 2010.

I am now retired and manage to make a fine living off rental properties and my own stock market activity.

I have traveled to 49 states, 20 foreign countries. My health is good and I will probably manage to stay active for about another 15 years. At least I hope so.

I never did go to college, but have never quit studying and learning.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:08 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I was a licensed electrician up until age 27. I was with a large company doing state work contracts, industrial, commercial and residential. Working 40-50hrs/week at a very good wage plus OT. One of my last jobs was rewiring a drawbridge control system in which I was the lead.

At age 27, I decided I had had enough and changed careers and got myself a job as an mechanical engineer. I was doing prototype designs for a specific industry and am now a engineering manager 14 years later. I hold three patents.

I did go to college, and got myself a degree in mechanical engineering while simultaneously working in the electrical trade and later getting my license a year or so after I graduated college. Don't ask how I managed to pull that off...but I did.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:30 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

I have traveled to 49 states, 20 foreign countries. My health is good and I will probably manage to stay active for about another 15 years. At least I hope so.

I never did go to college, but have never quit studying and learning.
I'm guessing Hawaii? That 50th state?

Old 02-04-2021, 03:30 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm guessing Hawaii? That 50th state?
It's actually Alaska!
I had planned a trip to Yukon Territory, which borders Alaska, for last summer and then drive across the border to see that part of Alaska. Pandemic killed that plan.
I just have this urge to get in my old pickup (90 GMC 4X4) and drive up to see Dawson City for myself. My reading about the gold rush piqued my interest.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:59 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,531,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Aviation maintenance, the Squadron transitioned to C-5s. 70# tool boxes, 35 steps to get to the flight deck, me an older female. Time to step aside!

Been in facility management ever since. I love it.
Even though I was a black shoe, I ended up as aircrew. Mostly on P-3s. I do have a good bit of time on T-39s, C-9s & C-20s. The C-20 was the slickest plane I flew on. That was quite a plush ride.

I did 2 around the world flights. 1 just before the 1st Gulf war. The 2nd was 13 months after the first. Both times we took the CNO around(ADM Frank Kelso). He ended up crashing and burning due to Tailhook. Those were the days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment