Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 12:48 PM

17,442 posts, read 9,013,214 times

Advertisements

I guess that's my gripe is why did just having a phone call go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 01:12 PM

20,775 posts, read 20,170,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
This morning I had to get up earlier than normal to have a call with someone in the Philippines. It was 8am here, 9 pm there. She insisted on having the call to learn more about our offerings. Pretty much anything I told her I could have said in an email. So it's one thing to have a phone call, but zoom calls are worse because everyone turns on their video. WHY? What happened to the days when we could just speak without having to see people. I appreciate seeing people sometimes but not at 8am with someone I'm 'meeting' for the first time. I had on a hoodie and basically just rolled out of bed. She appeared to be ready for bed and was in a mickey mouse t-shirt. I wasn't going to even turn on my video but she put hers on.

Why can't people just have phone calls anymore, I'm tired of showing my face on zoom, lol. I'm venting...but really. I need some privacy.
8am? You are overreacting.

Most people need to be in the office by 8am and "show their face."

Old 12-18-2020, 01:50 PM

Right I've had jobs where I had to physically be there at 8 as well. I no longer need to do that now so when it comes to scheduling it's appreciated when people can do later in the AM type calls or afternoon. We had no choice but to the 8am call really given them timezones.

I'm really pretty low maintenance and flexible at work, but this is one thing that has kind of irked me.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:32 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,406,762 times
When you are the boss, you get to set the expectation for working hours. When you are the client, you get to request meetings be scheduled at your convenience, within reason. When you are the employee, you are expected to work within those parameters and working remotely due to the pandemic is not generally considered a reason for employees to randomly start working whatever hours they want, if that was not the norm when people still were going to the office

cameras on is a different story IMO, no one signs up for a job expecting their home, and often times their family members to be on display. At my job, we spend literally 8+ hours a day in an MS Teams meeting (with a break for lunch in there). Everyone keeps their cameras off, and we share screens to share documents, people are not on camera at all. Way too much potential liability for situations outside the employer's control creating issues

Old 12-20-2020, 05:40 PM

18,634 posts, read 16,099,978 times
Time to take your Zoom to the next level & confuse your coworkers.

How about some junkyard zoom backgrounds? There's 32 high-res backgrounds for your next Zoom call.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/g3...m-backgrounds/

Old 12-20-2020, 05:47 PM

8,388 posts, read 3,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Time to take your Zoom to the next level & confuse your coworkers.

How about some junkyard zoom backgrounds? There's 32 high-res backgrounds for your next Zoom call.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/g3...m-backgrounds/
Perhaps years ago when backgrounds became popular or at the beginning of covid... but now it would just be obnoxious.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:23 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
When you are the boss, you get to set the expectation for working hours. When you are the client, you get to request meetings be scheduled at your convenience, within reason. When you are the employee, you are expected to work within those parameters and working remotely due to the pandemic is not generally considered a reason for employees to randomly start working whatever hours they want, if that was not the norm when people still were going to the office

cameras on is a different story IMO, no one signs up for a job expecting their home, and often times their family members to be on display. At my job, we spend literally 8+ hours a day in an MS Teams meeting (with a break for lunch in there). Everyone keeps their cameras off, and we share screens to share documents, people are not on camera at all. Way too much potential liability for situations outside the employer's control creating issues
Sorry that sounds awful. I couldn’t imagine having zoom or teams on all day long. Ugh.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:27 AM

45 posts, read 41,590 times
Teams and Outlook notification chimes are driving me insane.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:58 PM

123 posts, read 116,308 times
I just found this thread after searching for "Zoom" so I could see if others were on the same page. I hate it so much! I have to be on camera at 6:30am every morning because I work on a team with members that live in India. Really sick of it. And I find it to be very intrusive as that is the time of morning that my kids are getting ready for school.

I have wondered about the legality of it and foresee potential lawsuits in the future. The employer gets to use our personal home as their office space with us footing the bill for all rent, utilities and broadband expenses yet we have to bend to their will and allow camera coverage of our personal home? Many times I am on a 1:1 call/screenshare with my boss and I leave camera off but then she will say "can you please turn your camera on?" It makes me feel like I'm not trusted...like what is she expecting to see? Does she think I am sitting in Starbucks or at the mall or somewhere other than my desk? Why else would she need to see my video image during a 1:1 call about a random question or project update...especially during a screen share session?

Anyway, I could vent all day but just wondering what other's perspectives are on the legal slant and if it's kosher to push back sometimes?

Old 02-03-2021, 07:04 PM

23,173 posts, read 12,402,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidModUSA View Post
I just found this thread after searching for "Zoom" so I could see if others were on the same page. I hate it so much! I have to be on camera at 6:30am every morning because I work on a team with members that live in India. Really sick of it. And I find it to be very intrusive as that is the time of morning that my kids are getting ready for school.

And how exactly did you collaborate with your team in India before covid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment