Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 06:23 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do these people want to work for and with people they never met and never will meet? That's the big drawback to remote employment.
I'm not really seeing the drawback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Quote:
Do these people want to work for and with people they never met and never will meet? That's the big drawback to remote employment.
I don't see it as a drawback? Plenty of companies have full-time remote work where the employees have never met each other in-person and work just fine.

At the end of the day, work should be to live and make money.
There are differing levels of trust I give to people that I never have met. It simply takes longer to repose complete confidence in a total stranger. I'm not saying it's impossible, just takes longer and is more difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Quote:
How is WFH different than employees working together yet they live in different cities? I could work on a project where the project manager is in NY, the program manager is in FL, and the tech people are overseas. I'll never meet any of them.
It those particular relationships there is less of a trust issue. But the project manager would be crazy to repose total trust in people who he or she needs to carry out a project. Someone could seem competent or personal over Zoom and in the real world be anything but. Also now we are living off the legacy of working with people we know. If we go through this another five years that won't be the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Quote:
Why are you here talking to us then? Likely we will never meet.
I actually have met a few CD posters personally. Sometimes relationships do develop through long phone calls. One poster and his wife has met me and my wife twice. It wasn't until the second meeting that I would have been willing to entertain them in my house or even give them a ride in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Quote:
That's exactly what they want. Seems another desirable benefit of WFH is not having to get mired in office politics as easily.
Isn't there office politics right here?

Old 02-24-2021, 06:50 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
People who choose to WFH has to understand the few downsides of it including fewer promotional opportunities.
I'm willing to accept that.

Where I am, managers do not make enough above senior level individual contributors to warrant the hassle. To me, you'd really need to get to VP level to make above $200k or so.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
It those particular relationships there is less of a trust issue. But the project manager would be crazy to repose total trust in people who he or she needs to carry out a project. Someone could seem competent or personal over Zoom and in the real world be anything but. Also now we are living off the legacy of working with people we know. If we go through this another five years that won't be the case.
Do you recognize that people were working with distributed teams for YEARS? Being separate from team members and never meeting them is not new. You learn to judge people by their actions and not be personal impressions.

If the task is to develop the code by EOD Friday and Fridays comes and the code is good, then that's all the "trust" I need. I don't need to "know" them beyond being reliable to produce the work.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
There are differing levels of trust I give to people that I never have met. It simply takes longer to repose complete confidence in a total stranger. I'm not saying it's impossible, just takes longer and is more difficult.

That's you. There are lots of companies that work across the country and internationally with the utmost trust in people they have never met. How many jet pilots have personally met the air traffic controllers who are safely guiding them through air traffic?

And that's presuming you need to have any level of trust in the first place. Often the work speaks for itself or goes through automated testing.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:19 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
People who choose to WFH has to understand the few downsides of it including fewer promotional opportunities.

I don't think that's a given fact going forward, especially if the ones giving out the promotions are working from home. I think more of the promotions will now be going to the producers than the buttkissers.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. I know many people who’ve promoted several times as WFH employees. Promotions are determined by your manager. Every manager is not a great manager.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:18 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Those owners will need to adapt and rethink what they do with their property. Some will do this just fine, whereas some others will not. This is no different than when any other type of business needs to evolve with changing market demands.
That only addresses the microeconomic impact. What about the macroeconomic one? One office building being repurposed is just an office building being repurposed. But if lots and lots of them do this and some go into foreclosure, surely there will be some sort of ripple effect. In an unlikely but extreme scenario, commercial REIT’s would need a bailout if they are TBTF.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Wow.
You need to "psychologically recover???", healing????
Your speech above sounds like someone who had just gone through one of the following:
a) Kidnapping
b) Escaped an abusive relationship
c) Was caught in the middle of a bank robbery and hostage situation
d) Was either molested or assaulted.

I would never have guessed that your response was from having to wfh. It sounds like you have a bunch of deep rooted issues that need to be worked out. You had another post where you admitted that you would pretend that your co workers were your friends until a small fraction of them actually did become your friends.

This is a pretty sad and pathetic way to live your life, and I dont mean this to disparage you either.
Look, there are all sorts of classes and organizations where you can work on your personality and become someone that can actually go out and make friends on your own, and not have forced friends who only speak to you because you work together.

I dont know if you are religious and what religion you are, but churches for sure are an excellent way to meet people and gain friends from outside work.
And finally, there are professionally trained and licensed therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists who can actually help you explore your issues and find a solution that greatly improves the quality of your life.

You should ALWAYS work to live, and not live to work. The company views you strictly as a line item, to be discarded when you no longer make a profit. Having friends outside that company will help you when the company turns it back on you, as corporate America always does in the end.
So many in my generation seem to call for work-life “ balance” because they seem to find it challenging to juggle the demands on personal time represented by the trio of work, self-care, and socialization. If I didn’t have to work, finding time for the other two would be much much easier. I can do it now, but when one is working full time it is never a consistent thing, if extra demands come up then socialization has to be sacrificed for a weekend, or 2, or 3.

With in- person work, the work contains within itself a solution, at least to the point of not being totally isolated and experiencing the pleasure of working with someone towards a common goal of sorts.

Remote work is * more* isolating than being totally unemployed, because you have to spend a mandatory 40 hours each week on being isolated.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:06 PM

16,346 posts, read 8,162,213 times
If you feel isolated go out after work or meet people for lunch...or to go for a walk. There are many options. Work is not really meant to be a social event.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
If you feel isolated go out after work or meet people for lunch...or to go for a walk. There are many options. Work is not really meant to be a social event.
A lunch is not a replacement for working with people 40 hours a week or even 10 hours. Work is just like university or hunting. They have purposes like classes or catching game, but that doesn’t mean there is no value to forming social bonds while engaging in a team activity. I don’t know how else to explain it but some of us just don’t find any appeal in losing the cultural tradition of working in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment