Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 09:25 AM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Welp we just got an update that people will be authorized to return on August 2nd. It's a bit vague though because it's a big place with 16,000 people. He emphasized that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to this transition period. Individual depts will take the lead on planning for the return of their remote employees based on their needs and priorities adopting a variety of flexible approaches and varying return-to-campus dates.

But i guess August 2nd is when they think it will be safe...

Old 03-22-2021, 10:24 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
So, what, I should have an extra $50,000 in uninvested cash sitting there in case an employer attempts to force me to telework and I just quit with no job lined up? Employers can't be a little more considerate than that?
That's up to you - how much you have saved. Any employer at any time can make a change you dislike or disagree with. Then you do the adult thing and decide if you want to stay or find a new job. Employers aren't there to make your life a piece of cake. They're running a business.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Irrelevant, proprietary, and and a fallacious attempt to discredit the concern.

The problem with these things is not that they seem plausible, the problem is that if people with unpopular views don't stand up for themselves, the result is often silencing or oppression. You yourself are proving my point - by attempting to intimidate me into silence using the "lack of experience" argument.

We are in an unprecedented time where a new way of working has become common but there are zero associated worker protections and zero legal precedent on whether an employee can be forced to telework. Protections are often not for the things that are common, but for things that are less common. Even if most employers wouldn't attempt to force a person to be remote, there is a value in having worker protections associated with the various things an employer might do. But people who don't want to be remote seem to be almost a new oppressed class with no legal protection and no constitutional rights (if people can protest in person, why not work in person?)

It is telling that several states have reopened restaurant dining but still told white collar workers to stay at home. This is proof that office-liking white collar workers are an oppressed minority.
Oppression? How are you being oppressed? No one has said don't let your manager know that you would like to be back in an office.

What protections are you looking for? In most states, you're employed at will which means you can leave whenever you want and the employer can let you go whenever they want for any reason or no reason. Do you have an employment contract?

You can't compare office work where most people have stayed employed during this last year to restaurant workers. Most restaurant workers at some point lost their income. Some lost it for several months. Many still don't have their job back. Many looked for jobs in other industries because they have bills to pay. So it's kind of weird and cocky that someone is complaining about office workers not being protected and oppressed then complain that restaurants have all of this freedom.

Have you actually seen what restaurant workers are experiencing? It's pure hell. They're stuck wearing masks their entire shift in a hot, sweaty, smelly kitchen. They're being yelled at by imbeciles who won't follow the government mandates which the restaurants have to follow or be fined and closed down. Not a single person I know in the restaurant bus has said this has been a cake walk like you make it sound.

Even when offices do reopen, in many states it will be nothing like it was before. You'll be wearing masks all day. Staying 6 feet apart. No in person meetings. One person on the elevator at a time. No cafeteria. No fitness center. This is the reality of many offices reopening. There won't be social times. You won't be hanging out. Just remember that even with state mandates that the employers have their own policies. All of the ones I mentioned above are for a company who has offices in numerous states. They have the same policies in all states. No office has been allowed to reopen until all of them can reopen in every state they're located in. All of those policies above will be in effect in every single office including the office in Texas which no longer has a mask mandate. Employers can still have policies that you may not like. Working in an office will not be like it was in February 2020.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:53 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times
I've actually been in some offices, in manufacturing facilities, that never shut down.
Its not as strange as you are making it out to be.

Yes, masks are to be worn all day, but in reality, people pull them down or take them off if in private offices or cubes
People still share an elevator, with masks
Cafeteria is open, although extremely limited options and mostly individually wrapped and/or grab-and-good food
People still are social and talk to each other, maybe stand a bit further apart
There are in person meetings, maybe just in larger spaces, like 3-4 people in a conference room made for 20.

Its really not as bizarre as some are making it out to be.
In the places that I've been to that have been open throughout, it sure feels pretty close to Feb 2020, just with some more mindfulness on social distancing, and wearing masks. Its not zombie apocalypse.

AFAIK no COVID outbreaks tied to these places.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:03 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I've actually been in some offices, in manufacturing facilities, that never shut down.

Yes, masks are to be worn all day, but in reality, people pull them down or take them off if in private offices or cubes
Cafeteria is open, although extremely limited options and mostly individually wrapped and/or grab-and-good food
There are in person meetings, maybe just in larger spaces, like 3-4 people in a conference room made for 20.

In the places that I've been to that have been open throughout, it sure feels pretty close to Feb 2020, just with some more mindfulness on social distancing, and wearing masks. Its not zombie apocalypse.

Both of my businesses didn't shut down for a moment. Both are in manufacturing (light), and outside of less bids being thrown our way, everything's the same. We're lucky, big shops, open air from docks/doors, small offices. I've had people test positive here or there, but not one of them got it at work. I have lot of employees who live in multi-generational households in very urban densely populated environments.

I think we take common sense precautions, due to the size of our shops and lack of assembly line operations employees only wear masks when around other people, offices are professionally cleaned weakly, plenty of sanitizer available.

All my headache has come from government imposed restrictions and uncertainty that brings. Very few companies are starting new big projects. CAPEX spending is down.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:14 PM

I dont think that it's just unsafe conditions that people are worried about. It's the commute in bigger cities, where I am it's terrible. Seems like my employer is finally going to try to help with the making our city a less gridlocked area.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:

What I discussed is happening in the healthcare IT division of an international Fortune400 company. Their manufacturing division did have some shutdowns. They are all masked up, no cafeteria, no fitness center, markings on the floor for distance, etc. Like I said this is t every company. This is this company’s nationwide policy. There are no private offices or cubes in most of their buildings. Even those who have offices and cubes have been told that masks must be worn at all times unless you’re actively eating or drinking. They’re not allowed to share the elevator. They’ve been told 1 person per elevator. There’s signs about it as well. Also keep in mind that every state has different mandates. They have several offices in the Northeast which has some of the strictest mandates in the nation. We practically need our nursing home killer governor’s approval to fart in our own homes here.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:43 PM

Many companies have announced that will allow people work from home forever...and some of these are companies that didn't offer it before.

WFH is not a new concept.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:05 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Folks, I've deleted today's barrage of personal attacks and bickering, as well as orphaned posts. If the thread goes awry again it will be permanently locked. Play nice or leave the sandbox.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-22-2021, 04:42 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:

I have been remote a year, as a white collar professional at an industrial company with multiple plants, and our experience, the 5 days I went in 1/2 day per, remains closer to Q2 2020 covid peak than February 2020. Year end 2020 was the latest of the 5 days.

Masks all day long, unless in your own office..door tightly sealed, NEVER pulled down, 4 person max in conference room built for 24. Cafeterias closed. Enforced social distancing. We've still had covid outbreaks, lost 2 people who caught covid elsewhere.

Our office staff coming in is under 15% of the total, almost exclusively tied to running operations hands on management style

Our elevators have been closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.