Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2021, 12:49 PM

17,460 posts, read 9,134,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why not? My husband has been a remote employee for 14 years. He's had 2 IT jobs in his career. He was with the first company for 17 years and with the second one for 9 years. He has no desire to leave his current company. Sure that could change if the management changed drastically which is what happened at his previous company. His entire team fell apart within 6 months of their manager leaving. Only 2 people out of 10+ stayed. Remote employees aren't that rare in some industries. The talent they need isn't available everywhere. Nor does everyone want to move to where the company is located. We've had opportunities to relocate for his job over the years and we've turned them all down. There was only 1 that we would have considered, but it did not come with moving expenses or a pay increase due to the difference in the COL. Moving to Boston would have been expensive. Living in Boston would have cost far more than where we were located.
well i think many people are hoping the remote piece continues...i hope so!

Old 03-16-2021, 12:55 PM

29,841 posts, read 34,803,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
well i think many people are hoping the remote piece continues...i hope so!
But it might not be so easy that you can live wherever want and work for a company in a different place. Companies would have to pay taxes and follow employment laws for the states in which their employees live and work, and not all companies have the resources or inclination to open that up on an unllimited basis.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:58 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But it might not be so easy that you can live wherever want and work for a company in a different place. Companies would have to pay taxes and follow employment laws for the states in which their employees live and work, and not all companies have the resources or inclination to open that up on an unllimited basis.
The people still live in the state of MA and their work is in boston (same for me)

Old 03-16-2021, 01:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,789,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is something many people don't realize. Businesses can't just have employees wherever they want. They have to register with each state, pay employment taxes and insurances to each state. It's a VERY complicated process. My husband went through this. We relocated to NY from SC because of a job opportunity. We had to live in NY - anywhere in the state. This was why. They were a small company - under 100 employees. They didn't have the resources to have employees in other states.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:33 PM

I guess I am mostly talking about people who were at one point working at an office building in a city and now are working from the comforts of home in a suburb near that city without having to commute in. I do think all this talk of living in Iowa and having a job in Boston seem a bit premature...but I'm sure plenty of people are doing it and were doing it pre-pandemic. I am just happy to not have to commute in at the moment. Im not planning any moves to Arkansas or Wyoming with the hopes of keeping my Boston based job.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:14 PM

34,359 posts, read 17,555,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This is something many people don't realize. Businesses can't just have employees wherever they want. They have to register with each state, pay employment taxes and insurances to each state.
Piece of cake (and I used to do payroll taxes as part of an early career job, btw). Most businesses, past mom and pop size, outsource taxes to their payroll processing firm. The big processors give much deeper discounts to clients that bundle (payroll, taxes, garnishment processing, HR Info systems, etc).

Mine already pays payroll taxes in 8 states. The 8th was added via one remote employee 2 weeks ago, and the process took ten minutes of one employee's time (signing forms the processor filled in). From now on, the payroll processor will do the rest.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,973,078 times
Yes I am seriously wondering about these people who just moved across the country, in their 30s, to places with no local industry / profession in hopes they will have WFH jobs in their choosen career field for the next 30 years.

To each their own.
I've always been WFH 1-2 days a week for the past 15 years.
I could never have 100% WFH, need to get out of the frickin' house.
Its good for all involved me, wife, kids that we all have some routine and actually leave the house some days.
My house is my house, not my workplace.

Then again, I work in an industry that actually makes things that people use.
The days I'm in the plant are the days I have to take a shower when I come home from work, not before.

I surely hope we start paying people who actually do work and build things, make things with their hands and tools, teachers, first responders, etc.
Pay these people for what they do to make this country run and people live their lives.

Their trades and professions are far more important than some 20-something that writing code on a macbook for some stupid app that puts silly faces over photos, while they are sitting on a beach in Maui or living #vanlife.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,055,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Yes I am seriously wondering about these people who just moved across the country, in their 30s, to places with no local industry / profession in hopes they will have WFH jobs in their choosen career field for the next 30 years.

To each their own.
I've always been WFH 1-2 days a week for the past 15 years.
I could never have 100% WFH, need to get out of the frickin' house.
Its good for all involved me, wife, kids that we all have some routine and actually leave the house some days.
My house is my house, not my workplace.

Then again, I work in an industry that actually makes things that people use.
The days I'm in the plant are the days I have to take a shower when I come home from work, not before.

I surely hope we start paying people who actually do work and build things, make things with their hands and tools, teachers, first responders, etc.
Pay these people for what they do to make this country run and people live their lives.

Their trades and professions are far more important than some 20-something that writing code on a macbook for some stupid app that puts silly faces over photos, while they are sitting on a beach in Maui or living #vanlife.
Okay boomer

Old 03-17-2021, 06:16 AM

I'm not a boomer but I do agree with some of things the above poster has said. While i don't miss my commute I've had times where getting out of my house for the day would be nice. I have two kids, they can be distracting.

And there is some truth to what people who sit behind computers all day at home now get paid vs those who are doing physical labor and actually have to be on site to do it. Something's gotta give with the way the wealth gap is headed in this country. Not everyone can get an engineering/computer science degree with what it costs.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:15 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,055,972 times
The boomer mentality is to cut down innovation. Somebody makes a lot of money in Maui? My response is sign me up, not they should earn less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment