Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 07:54 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,770,218 times

Advertisements

So this whole Covid this has everyone scrambling with what their future plans regarding keeping people on let alone hiring. Awhile back I had a phone interview with a pretty big company in the area that I've been wanting to get into for some time now. The communication has been pretty quiet unless I call or email them, and I noticed their ad on indeed has expired. It's getting to the point where I need to get back to work and get the benefits going again. Is there a good way to, and I guess this applies to all the companies that I've been talking to, to get me a definitive yes or no answer without coming off as a complete tool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
I doubt it. We still have a hiring freeze, and it may be extended into 2021. We also have an appeal process where a committee of executives may approve hiring if there is a critical need. Some companies started to hire or bring back people based on the re-opening of some businesses, but now the recent surge in COVID-19 cases has them backing down. For employers, there is a lot of uncertainty. I would hate to hire a new employee, and lay them off in 2-3 months.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:43 AM

9,493 posts, read 8,486,494 times
It's risky, but you can always state that you have another offer that you are contemplating but that you much prefer to work with them and are reaching out to inquire as to the status of the position.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:53 AM

14,980 posts, read 9,897,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It's risky, but you can always state that you have another offer that you are contemplating but that you much prefer to work with them and are reaching out to inquire as to the status of the position.
X2

A few observations.

1.) When I did the hiring I would have responded to such a request via email. Why? well not every hireling worked out, duh! and my plan B was to keep/maintain a tone of a good corporate citizenship with any future potential candidate. I hope they would remember that and if things didn't work out for them, they would "again" seek out an opportunity at our company.

2.) When 'shopping' for anything we pick the best off the shelf and don't apologize to the dented cans.

Two different approaches that I observed

Old 07-27-2020, 09:22 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,393,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
So this whole Covid this has everyone scrambling with what their future plans regarding keeping people on let alone hiring. Awhile back I had a phone interview with a pretty big company in the area that I've been wanting to get into for some time now. The communication has been pretty quiet unless I call or email them, and I noticed their ad on indeed has expired. It's getting to the point where I need to get back to work and get the benefits going again. Is there a good way to, and I guess this applies to all the companies that I've been talking to, to get me a definitive yes or no answer without coming off as a complete tool?
You really need to do your homework on the company, the job and the people involved. If you can find additional information to provide such as more thoughts about a problem they discussed with you during the interview process, then this will give you a legit reason to reach out to them and show you are interested in the job and thinking about it.

Beyond that, they are on their own time table. You can't force them to say "yes". All you can do, is force them to say "no", which is by pestering them in an unprofessional way like continuing to ask where they are in the process and when they will make a decision. Don't do that. Because it encourages them strongly to give you a quick "no" just to get rid of you.

Continue your job search. They might never fill the position and they has nothing to do with you.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:27 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,393,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It isn't risky, it is the wrong approach because that will help them decide to eliminate the OP from further consideration. For most people at these companies in 2020, they really aren't a very good judge of talent, which is why they so easily ghost on people now.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:02 AM

12,115 posts, read 23,387,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
It isn't risky, it is the wrong approach because that will help them decide to eliminate the OP from further consideration. For most people at these companies in 2020, they really aren't a very good judge of talent, which is why they so easily ghost on people now.
I pretty much agree with this. I wouldn't mind receiving an email asking asking the status of the hiring process. If you tell me that you have an offer, I will wish you well. If my process has stalled for whatever reason, you telling me that you have an offer isn't going to "unstick" whatever my hold up is.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:51 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,158,173 times
Quote:
Just call and ask.

What would you do if you were the interviewer and somebody called you?

I mean, c'mon, everybody takes this corporate strategy stuff a little too seriously.

What job are you applying for? Chief Medical Officer at New York Presbyterian?

You need a job and somebody has a job to give...

Old 07-29-2020, 06:16 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,920,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Continue your job search. They might never fill the position and they has nothing to do with you.
OP - This is all you have to look forward to, an endless job search and seeing the same jobs posted over and over again. Sorry I don’t have better news.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:40 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,253,352 times
Quote:
Awhile back I had a phone interview with a pretty big company in the area that I've been wanting to get into for some time now.
Don't get emotionally attached to any job application. Otherwise, you will suffer more than needed.

Quote:
Is there a good way to, and I guess this applies to all the companies that I've been talking to, to get me a definitive yes or no answer without coming off as a complete tool?
If they don't have an answer, they don't have an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment