Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 07:28 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times

Advertisements

NJ Governor Requests Expertise of 6 People Who Still Know COBOL so they can get out the unemployment checks

legacy system runs on COBOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,202,036 times
COBOL - wasn't that the bad guy in the original Battlestar Galactica?

(I know APL, sorta... )

Old 04-08-2020, 09:44 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,111 times
Yes, I worked with COBOL from 1980 to the mid-1990s. Still remember it well.

Good luck getting those 6 people. Most developers who know that language are either retired or in the grave.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:46 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
They should spend the money and have someone or company help convert the programs or pull the data out and remodel them for newer systems. Private financial companies did it during the pre Y2k frenzy. The problem with state govt is the pay is too low to be competitive. I took COBOL and C++ in college, COBOL is such a effing waste of time. It was backward and time consuming just to code a simple math formula. You spend hours just to do a simple function that is built into C++ libraries. It will probably take any programming team a year or more just to go in and recode to new language or system. The best thing to do is pull the data out, hire data modelers and have the data piped into new existing systems in the cloud. I know plenty of people that do that for a living making good money.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:27 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
Surprisingly, they were asking for volunteers. It would mean no salary, unless it was poorly worded.

They found the COBOL programmers that were needed.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/49...onavirus-fight
Quote:
The governor's call for COBOL programming help has been fruitful, with several volunteers stepping up to help with maintaining the old mainframes.

"Someone called me the COBOL king, I'm not sure that was a compliment, but we've gotten a lot of folks who have raised their hands and said they know how to program in COBOL," Murphy said.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:35 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Yes, I worked with COBOL from 1980 to the mid-1990s. Still remember it well.

Good luck getting those 6 people. Most developers who know that language are either retired or in the grave.
Or they are hiding and don't want to ever look at COBOL again.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
Connecticut is another.

link

It might be easier to just write additional COBOL programs for the addon benefits. Have the outputs from the old system feed into the new program and have it print out checks and the additional files that feed into their accounting system, all using existing layouts.

Last edited by lchoro; 04-09-2020 at 08:46 AM..

Old 04-09-2020, 08:40 AM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Or they are hiding and don't want to ever look at COBOL again.
You're right. I would certainly never want to look at COBOL again. Or any other computer language. I've done my time and am gladly out of it.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:48 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They should spend the money and have someone or company help convert the programs or pull the data out and remodel them for newer systems. Private financial companies did it during the pre Y2k frenzy. The problem with state govt is the pay is too low to be competitive. I took COBOL and C++ in college, COBOL is such a effing waste of time. It was backward and time consuming just to code a simple math formula. You spend hours just to do a simple function that is built into C++ libraries. It will probably take any programming team a year or more just to go in and recode to new language or system. The best thing to do is pull the data out, hire data modelers and have the data piped into new existing systems in the cloud. I know plenty of people that do that for a living making good money.
They really have no incentive to do that because they have a monopoly on unemployment. It isn't like you can go to a competing agency or anyplace else for that matter to get your unemployment benefits. Even before COVID-19 I've seen complaints over the years of people having trouble accessing the system, and I got the impression they were taking it down for hours on Sundays. Maybe now after all this attention they will find the budget to fix it.

I find it very odd they have no emergency funds to use to get their problem fixed now. Even with the best of intentions, asking people to work for free is foolish and who knows what quality of skills they are going to get. A skilled paid software developer who never saw COBOL before could get up to speed on it soon enough, but I suspect that's not the big issue. From the articles it sounds like it is a capacity problem which is the server, not the COBOL unless it has limits hardcoded into the COBOL software.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:53 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
LOL, I took a COBOL class in college, had to enter the program using punch cards and a card reader. LONG time ago. I wasnt aware it was still used. But upgrading costs money so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment